Pets

I was wondering if it was unusual to own pets, like a cat or dog, while being otherkin? I mean I certainly couldn't have imagined a howler monkey with the most crazy little dogs, and the bossiest cat, but is this considered wrong? I have been meaning to ask this for a little bit.

I don't think it is unusual for otherkin to have animal companions/pets. I think most otherkin I know do have animal companions. I have two rabbits but I never really call them "pets" I just call them by their names.

I don't think it is wrong for you to not be able to imagine yourself having a cat or a dog. Everyone feels different about animals being part of their household.

• Like 1

Equus ferus caballus

male it/he | adult

I don't really think it's weird at all, my family has a dog and she's basically like family to me. I don't really consider her a pet, she's more like a little sister, but none of the rest of my family thinks about her like that I don't think. I don't think it's weird or wrong at all as long as you don't hurt them ^^
  • Like 1

I don't think it's unusual either. I don't have pets myself and haven't for a very long time (I once had two fish for a few months when I was really young) but I do want to get at least one in the future because I really like animals. I think of them as more comforting in a way.
Inactive from something in real life - permanent hiatus

As Kristen says, it is comforting to have animals around. I have two cats and a dog. In the backyard, I've got a small goldfish pond that I dug myself. I feed the birds every morning, and a squirrel has a nest in a hole in the rock wall. I know that same squirrel has been back there for a few years because it only has half a tail. We used to get geckos on the bathroom windows at night, but they disappeared last year. I hope the stray cats didn't get them all. We also probably have skunks in the neighborhood. I don't see them but I smell them. They probably come to the pond to get water like they do at mom's house.

Red Tailed Hawk Therian / Polymorph / Spirit Being / Anthro Hawk / Deitykin

Shard of Heru AKA Horus

I've got three (big) dogs. I love them so much because they don't get scared or disgusted or anything when I try to play with them wolfo style. All three are like brothers to me
  • Like 1

“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Demonkin, Wolfkin, and Sirenkin, plural system with many headmates, all open for contact

Guest Deleted member 56299

I have two cats in this life.

In my past life, I liked to explore the cosmos in my spaceship. We celestial dragons like to gaze upon all the life-forms that have spawned from our stardust. I travelled to many worlds, including some humans think are "just fiction." One time I found the pokemon world and wanted to know how pokemon and pokeballs work, so I alien abducted a pikachu. It was my pet "specimen." I managed to reverse engineer the pokeball in my lab, but my version was big, clunky, and heavy. But the pikachu lived in it.

• 1 year later...

I've questioned this before, but I don't think there's anything weird about it, honestly. The mental image of a wolf rolling around on the floor with a couple of cats is kind of hilarious, but it's something I do a lot. I'm gentle with them - I'm a lot bigger than them - but they like when I get down on the floor and bat at them and they can pounce on me and whatnot (now that they've learned claw manners) just as much as I like being able to just not be human for a while. They enjoy me playing with them like some sort of weird dog-creature. (One of them will play with my parents' dog, too, when we visit there. The other doesn't like his barking.)

I tend to think of them less as pets and more as almost-kids, since they get into stuff with about the same regularity. They get referred to as "furbabies" a lot. They're more companions than pets, really. And quite honestly, they've helped me through some really rough things. I'm not sure I'd be here if I didn't have them. They're definitely a really important part of my life, so I don't think it's weird at all.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

Well when you think about it, pets are just symbiotic relationships. For humans, they feed and provide shelter for the animal, and the animal gives comfort and entertainment in return.

As long as the relationship isn't one sided, I think pets are quite fine to have!

I haven't researched into how true this article is but it's an entertaining read. These Amazing Animals Keep Other Animals As Pets

I have two cats myself! Both I adopted from a shelter.

Ghost-Dragonkin | Snakehearted

I am immortal until proven otherwise.

I use tone tags!

Untitled_06-21-2022_06-58-38.gif

I mean I grew up with a dog as a brother so I'd say it's not weird at all! I just dislike the term 'pet' because it makes a living being seem like a toy or prop, but that's probably just me being sensitive. They're not my property, they're my friends! I call them my 'emotional support squad' because we're all helping each other. When I get asked if Ralsei is my emotional support dog, I respond with "no, if anything I'm his emotional support human. I do have an emotional support guinea pig though. And she has her own emotional support guinea pig."

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~