Dragon Ball and its helping me understand myself

so before i start i am not kin to anything in Dragon Ball but it did have some impact on my understanding of the world.

ill start with Gohan and Potential Unleashed.

so when i was around 16 or 17 i randomly gained superhuman abilities,like i could run at 27 mph and my punch was in the 300 joule range.

but after a while i became stagnant and i lost them,now i dont have a great explanation for why this happened other than "Potential Unleashed"

i firmly believe the nature i lived in at the time had a spiritual property of drawing out dormant potential in those who dwell in it if they are well in tune with it.

and for the time i absolutely was well in tune with the forest,

so my thought on this is its similar to Potential Unleashed for the fact that its entirely possible to lose the "Ultimate" Form and to reascend into it as we see in Dragon Ball Super.

the way you lose it is apparently a lack of training WHICH MAKES PERFECT SENSE because my life prevented me from training for so long,but i have a deep held hope that i will someday reascend to again become "Ultimate Rai"

i also definitely believe that i learned how to use chi during a period of training because i actually managed to break a punching bag after using some basic Taichiquan forms but i am not even remotely close to fully controlling it,it only comes out at random times when im intensely focused.

anyway sorry for this rambling but honestly im wondering does anyone else relate to this experience?

like has anyone else had their "Potential Unleashed"?

also an added note i am by no means a martial artist,those Taichiquan forms are literally all i know about martial arts and my training was entirely free form

Edited by Soffice

"it is the impermanence of things that makes them truly beautiful"

-Ranmaru Mori

I used to do tai chi, even taught a small beginner class for awhile. It is true that the human body can do some amazing things if everything lines up perfectly. Learning how to get it there is the hard part.

Yes, chi is a thing, although the high level people I talked to kept insisting that it's not mystical at all. I don't know, I'd say some of it is and some of it isn't depending on what your opinion of mystical is. Some of it is just regular physics, although a bit more advanced than just hitting things harder and faster. Some of it is tricking the mind into getting the muscles aligned and firing precisely together. And some of it is stuff you still can't quite explain, more like Jedi mind tricks and less like blowing things up by making fancy poses.

Aaand....the forms aren't magic by themselves. They're basically exercise routines which allow you to practice various principles. Without the principles, you're basically just doing a pretty dance. The chances of figuring it out by mimicking the movements is extremely low. I was told how some of it works, and I definitely would never have guessed what was going on internally on my own. However, the forms, even without the inside knowledge, are better than nothing. They at least don't send you in the wrong direction, much. (And keeping secrets and sending people in the wrong direction really is part of the surrounding culture. These were things you didn't want your opponents or competitors knowing.)

Red Tailed Hawk Therian / Polymorph / Spirit Being / Anthro Hawk / Deitykin

Shard of Heru AKA Horus

I used to do tai chi, even taught a small beginner class for awhile. It is true that the human body can do some amazing things if everything lines up perfectly. Learning how to get it there is the hard part.

Yes, chi is a thing, although the high level people I talked to kept insisting that it's not mystical at all. I don't know, I'd say some of it is and some of it isn't depending on what your opinion of mystical is. Some of it is just regular physics, although a bit more advanced than just hitting things harder and faster. Some of it is tricking the mind into getting the muscles aligned and firing precisely together. And some of it is stuff you still can't quite explain, more like Jedi mind tricks and less like blowing things up by making fancy poses.

Aaand....the forms aren't magic by themselves. They're basically exercise routines which allow you to practice various principles. Without the principles, you're basically just doing a pretty dance. The chances of figuring it out by mimicking the movements is extremely low. I was told how some of it works, and I definitely would never have guessed what was going on internally on my own. However, the forms, even without the inside knowledge, are better than nothing. They at least don't send you in the wrong direction, much. (And keeping secrets and sending people in the wrong direction really is part of the surrounding culture. These were things you didn't want your opponents or competitors knowing.)

i definitely see the wisdom in not allowing your opponents to know your techniques!

and i definitely agree with the idea alot of martial arts forms have to do with muscle alignment and the jedi mind tricks thing has a historical basis!

i know i was watching a video on historical combat (i dont remember the exact video but if i find it ill link it down below) and they described a tribal elder who held off a wave of attackers for a long time with just a stare,kind of giving the vibe like "i know something you don't COME ON THEN!" and it reminds me of Shin No Ippo from Rurouni Kenshin like the technique where they use their "chi" to freeze an opponent still through fear.

anyway thank you for helping me expand my knowledge and your insight helps immensely!

"it is the impermanence of things that makes them truly beautiful"

-Ranmaru Mori