THE ACCENT WAR

[uSER=57299]@CHILL_BEAN[/uSER] @Jeb_CC @Frank Poddelka

We're doing it everyone. It's here. The accent war. Australian English vs American English vs British English vs Kirby's made up English (lol). Basically a fight between the different words we use and the different ways we pronounce them. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, here is an example.

For Example:

B - I'm sitting on my sofa right now in my trousers

Au - COUCH. IT'S A COUCH.

Am - YES! COUCH LOVERS ASSEMBLE!

B - SOFA. WHAT ON EARTH IS A COUCH?

Au - The thing your sitting on. In your shorts.

Am - Pants.

Au - Shorts.

B - Trousers

Au - SHORTS!

Am - Lorry

Au - Truck

Am - Lorry

Au - Truck

B - TROUSERS.

Au - Were talking bout trucks silly! We moved on from the clothing incident

B - Oh. Then it's a (I dunno what British people call trucks)

Au - It's a truck. Y'all stupid.

Am - Oh what so now it's shorts and trucks? That's not fair!

Au - We don't play by the rules when people who say 'toon-a' are involved

Am - What do you mean 'toon-a'? That's how you say it

Au - I think you'll find it's 'tuuune-a' With a long u sound.

B - Does it really matter?

Au - YES

Am - VERY MUCH SO

Au - Who says 'very much so'?

Am - ME

Au - Americans :rolleyes:

And so on, so forth. Oh, and make sure you add what kind if English you're using and remember that not every Australian, Brit or American uses the same words. I'm Australian English all the way! (except for the times I agree with British because a lot of our words originated from there y know European settlement and all)

Ok, so to kick it off, these things.

[ATTACH type=full" width="203px]3959[/ATTACH]

Apparently they're hoodies in Britain. With I kind of understand. But then some Americans go and call them sweatshirts. Like what? Aren't they just jumpers?

💗🏳️‍🌈💗 / Ever (she/her) / Emma (he/him or they/them) / Xia (ae/aer or she/her) / Taurus (any/all) / 💗🏳️‍🌈💗

"The only thing stronger than darkness? Is light." - Lynette Noni

Where are you from?

Oh right

Am/k - hoodies or jackets

[automerge]1626480593[/automerge]

Am- American English

K- Kirby English

Median/Dreamway system

Donnie&Leo (Fictive) Kirby (faekin//polymorph//clown) Dib (fictive) Raemus (werewolf) Gabriel (angel)

Polyamorous // Aro Ace // System // Immersive Daydreamer // Roleplayer // Dm's open

I say hoodie/sweater, btw. I guess that’s standard AmE (American English). I think jackets refer to a hoodie/sweater with a zipper.

[automerge]1626481203[/automerge]

[ATTACH type=full]3961[/ATTACH]

Car, right? I hear some Briters still call ‘em “autos.” Like “automobiles”? Why?!

And petrol… it’s gasoline (gas), guys.

[automerge]1626481259[/automerge]

Edit: Sorry, Britters.

Edited by Frank Poddelka

🛡️Frank Poddelka⚔️ Virs Fortes System

Frank - Protector/hero/warrior Arashilabar - Negotiator/friend Ulyssis - Immunes/soldier

Alex - Praetor/governor/strategist Luke - Senator/councillor

Am/k - hoodies or jackets

Jackets??? Jackets are like these:

[ATTACH type=full" width="152px]3965[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" width="147px]3966[/ATTACH]

Jackets are 'hoodies' with zips, or if it's made of harder material e.g. denim, they have buttons.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="1626481033867.jpeg]3961[/ATTACH]

Car, right? I hear some Briters still call ‘em “autos.” Like “automobiles”? Why?!

What?! Why would they call it an 'auto'. It's a car. At least that's one thing we agree on.

And petrol… it’s gasoline (gas), guys.

No, no. It's definetly petrol. Gas is a state of matter that can be compressed, with fixed shape or volume and that can be poured. It's petrol. Also considering the fact that petrol is a liquid, why on earth would you call it gas??? It's not gasoline either. It's petrol, and if you want to be fancy, petro- nope. Aussies don't do fancy. We all too lazy for long words.

Summary: It's petrol.

Sorry, Britters.

Also, don't say sorry. THIS IS A WAR. NOT A BOOK CLUB.

P.S: Once you've already stated once what English you're fighting for, you don't need to use it in every post.

💗🏳️‍🌈💗 / Ever (she/her) / Emma (he/him or they/them) / Xia (ae/aer or she/her) / Taurus (any/all) / 💗🏳️‍🌈💗

[ATTACH type=full" width="152px" alt="1626485220230.png]3965[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" width="147px" alt="1626485252288.png]3966[/ATTACH]

Jackets are 'hoodies' with zips, or if it's made of harder material e.g. denim, they have buttons.

Even in my English everyone would agree with you but no me!!!

I have been calling hoodies jackets for my whole life. Final answer: jackets is accurate.

No, no. It's definetly petrol. Gas is a state of matter that can be compressed, with fixed shape or volume and that can be poured. It's petrol. Also considering the fact that petrol is a liquid, why on earth would you call it gas??? It's not gasoline either. It's petrol, and if you want to be fancy, petro- nope. Aussies don't do fancy. We all too lazy for long words.

NO IT IS GAS. GAS MAKES CAR GO VROOM VROOM!

Median/Dreamway system

Donnie&Leo (Fictive) Kirby (faekin//polymorph//clown) Dib (fictive) Raemus (werewolf) Gabriel (angel)

Polyamorous // Aro Ace // System // Immersive Daydreamer // Roleplayer // Dm's open

NO IT IS GAS. GAS MAKES CAR GO VROOM VROOM!

BUT IT'S A LIQUID!!! STINKY, STRONG-SMELLING, EXPENSIVE LIQUID MAKES CARS GO VROOM. WHO ACTUALLY NAMED IT 'GASOLINE'? LIKE WHAT?

[automerge]1626498788[/automerge]

Ooh, ooh. Um what's your schooling system like? Cause I feel like that would be an interesting one. I used different colours for different campuses. So we have:

Overall name for this campus: Junior School

Kindergarten (basically day-care)

Pre-prep (Which is like the second level of kindy, but it's actually part of a school campus and you start to learn some simple things)

Prep (The grade before grade 1, you learn to write and read and do basic Maths and English.

Grade 1 - Grade 6 (Junior school mainly, but we also call it primary school)

Overall name for this campus: High School or Senior School

Grade 7 - Grade 9 (Middle School)

Grade 10 - Grade 12 (High School)

And then it's (if you want), like university (to become like a doctor, or a psychologist or a lawyer or something) or TAFE (where you learn simpler trades - ones that don't need degrees I think, like hairdressing and carpentry).

Edited by EvernightWild

BUT IT'S A LIQUID!!! STINKY, STRONG-SMELLING, EXPENSIVE LIQUID MAKES CARS GO VROOM. WHO ACTUALLY NAMED IT 'GASOLINE'? LIKE WHAT?

[automerge]1626498788[/automerge]

Ooh, ooh. Um what's your schooling system like? Cause I feel like that would be an interesting one. I used different colours for different campuses. So we have:

Overall name for this campus: Junior School

Kindergarten (basically day-care)

Pre-prep (Which is like the second level of kindy, but it's actually part of a school campus and you start to learn some simple things)

Prep (The grade before grade 1, you learn to write and read and do basic Maths and English.

Grade 1 - Grade 6 (Junior school mainly, but we also call it primary school)

Overall name for this campus: High School or Senior School

Grade 7 - Grade 9 (Middle School)

Grade 10 - Grade 12 (High School)

And then it's (if you want), like university (to become like a doctor, or a psychologist or a lawyer or something) or TAFE (where you learn simpler trades - ones that don't need degrees I think, like hairdressing and carpentry).

1. ITS GAS!!!!!

2. Elementary - pre-K through 6th (learning the basics)

Junior high - 7th through 8th (sometimes sixth grade is included.)

High school - 9th through 12th

College or university (where you relearn stuff and work on what you want to do for your job. Only some jobs included because others don’t need college or anything)

Yeah I don’t really know much about our school system but from what I do know this is kinda it.

3. Yea its soda

Median/Dreamway system

[ATTACH type=full" width="152px" alt="1626485220230.png]3965[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" width="147px" alt="1626485252288.png]3966[/ATTACH]

What?! Why would they call it an 'auto'. It's a car. At least that's one thing we agree on.

Also, don't say sorry. THIS IS A WAR. NOT A BOOK CLUB.

P.S: Once you've already stated once what English you're fighting for, you don't need to use it in every post.

Exactly! On jackets.

On gas… what do you think it turns into when burned? A GAS! Petrol sounds like “petal” with an “r” added to it. The sound of a car, I guess? Press the petal and you’ll get a rrrrr somewhere in the there? I don’t know, it sounds so strange.

On saying sorry. I didn’t. I mistyped Britters as Briters and was apologizing for the bad grammar, lol. Definitely not apologizing to our European cousins.

[automerge]1626560200[/automerge]

American here.

Car

Hoodie

Gas/gasoline

Soda. NOBODY CALLS IT POP. I SWEAR.

I DO!!!! Pop, that is.

[automerge]1626560424[/automerge]

[ATTACH type=full]3969[/ATTACH]Brits call ‘em “nappies.” WHY?!?!? It’s gonna make kids hate ‘em, just like naps! Which, on second thought, wouldn’t be bad for potty training, but still… having eight younger siblings, some still in diapers, changing is a nightmare already.

Edited by Frank Poddelka

Frank - Protector/hero/warrior Arashilabar - Negotiator/friend Ulyssis - Immunes/soldier

Guest Deleted member 57478

Southeastern USA here.

1. hoodie/hooded sweatshirt

2. car/vehicle

3. gas/gasoline

4. soda

5. diapers

Another well-known language quarrel: biscuits vs cookies. As an American, of course I call them cookies. I don't necessarily dislike the idea of calling them biscuits, but I prefer to think of an American buttermilk biscuit when I say that word.

Soda. NOBODY CALLS IT POP. I SWEAR.

Well apparently Frank does. NO ONE SHOULD CALL IT POP. Because it's actually softdrink (Or fizzydrink sometimes, but definitely not soda nor pop)

On gas… what do you think it turns into when burned? A GAS! Petrol sounds like “petal” with an “r” added to it. The sound of a car, I guess? Press the petal and you’ll get a rrrrr somewhere in the there? I don’t know, it sounds so strange.

Well I'm not good at science ok??? And I don't know why they call it petrol either. Doesn't mean it's not petrol.

I DO!!!! Pop, that is.

And... you're officially crazy. 'Pop.'. 'POP.' Like hehhhhhh? I get it makes a pop sound when you open the can but what if it's in a glass? It's not very 'poppy' then.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="1626560273828.jpeg]3969[/ATTACH]Brits call ‘em “nappies.” WHY?!?!?

Aussies call them nappies too! Honestly, you have a good point about the it sounds like naps thing, but nappies still wins because it's just a cooler word and also easier for little kids to say. So there.

Southeastern USA here.

1. hoodie/hooded sweatshirt

2. car/vehicle

3. gas/gasoline

4. soda

5. diapers

Another well-known language quarrel: biscuits vs cookies. As an American, of course I call them cookies. I don't necessarily dislike the idea of calling them biscuits, but I prefer to think of an American buttermilk biscuit when I say that word.

Well Aussies tend to call certain types biscuits and other types cookies.

For example, this is a choc-chip cookie:

[ATTACH type=full" width="212px]3970[/ATTACH]

But these are biscuits:

[ATTACH type=full" width="325px]3971[/ATTACH]

I don't know how we decide which one is which, but I personally tend to call ones with fillings or ones that are just flat (take the top of one of those filled ones for example) biscuits and things with like choc-chips or caramel or smarties imbedded in a flat one, cookies.

Well apparently Frank does. NO ONE SHOULD CALL IT POP. Because it's actually softdrink (Or fizzydrink sometimes, but definitely not soda nor pop)

Well I'm not good at science ok??? And I don't know why they call it petrol either. Doesn't mean it's not petrol.

And... you're officially crazy. 'Pop.'. 'POP.' Like hehhhhhh? I get it makes a pop sound when you open the can but what if it's in a glass? It's not very 'poppy' then.

Aussies call them nappies too! Honestly, you have a good point about the it sounds like naps thing, but nappies still wins because it's just a cooler word and also easier for little kids to say. So there.

Well Aussies tend to call certain types biscuits and other types cookies.

For example, this is a choc-chip cookie:

[ATTACH type=full" width="212px" alt="1626565366998.png]3970[/ATTACH]

But these are biscuits:

[ATTACH type=full" width="325px" alt="1626565435313.png]3971[/ATTACH]

I don't know how we decide which one is which, but I personally tend to call ones with fillings or ones that are just flat (take the top of one of those filled ones for example) biscuits and things with like choc-chips or caramel or smarties imbedded in a flat one, cookies.

Nope, nope, nope. Both are definitely cookies. Biscuits are soft breads you smear jelly on and eat for breakfast, ICYDNK. And the first are called chocolate chip cookies.

And pop still pops/bubbles in a glass. And it still makes you want to pop when you drink too much. And it goes great with pop music. And it is pop-ular. So… yeah, pop.

British here.

Hoodie

Car (what are Britters?)

Petrol. From Petroleum. As in the actual name for the mix of hydrocarbons. Which is a liquid. Not a gas. Ty.

Pop (bubbles do the pop)

Nappies (as in napkin)

Ok so we say chocolate chip cookies but anything else like that is a biscuit. Do not tell me that a scone is a biscuit. It means twice baked, as in hard and keeps for a long time.

School: nursery, primary school (year 1-6, age 5/6-10/11), secondary school (year 7-11, age 11/12-15/16), sixth form or college (16+), university (18+)

Nope, nope, nope. Both are definitely cookies. Biscuits are soft breads you smear jelly on and eat for breakfast, ICYDNK. And the first are called chocolate chip cookies.

Firstly, soft breads??? Biscuits aren't soft breads! Soft breads are soft breads! So your telling me a scone is a biscuit? Or a crumpet? Like, jeez. Ans secondly it's a choc-chip cookie because as I already said, we don't like long words so we just make shorter versions. Have you never heard someone say choc-chip before?

And pop still pops/bubbles in a glass. And it still makes you want to pop when you drink too much. And it goes great with pop music. And it is pop-ular. So… yeah, pop.

Fair enough. Still sounds stupid tho.

British here.

Petrol. From Petroleum. As in the actual name for the mix of hydrocarbons. Which is a liquid. Not a gas. Ty.

Pop (bubbles do the pop)

Nappies (as in napkin)

Ok so we say chocolate chip cookies but anything else like that is a biscuit. Do not tell me that a scone is a biscuit. It means twice baked, as in hard and keeps for a long time.

School: nursery, primary school (year 1-6, age 5/6-10/11), secondary school (year 7-11, age 11/12-15/16), sixth form or college (16+), university (18+)

Finally! 1) A British person to argue with and 2) SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS THAT IT'S PETROL. THEY'RE TRYING TO CALL IT GASOLINE AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY.

Although, I don't find the word 'sweatshirt' to be very appealing. I prefer not to sweat in enclosed attire. If you're sweating in a jumper, take it off.

Exactly! Sweatshirts are meant to be like light-fitting clothing which can absorb you're sweat not thick heavy jumpers.

But they don’t have anything to do with jumping!

And they shouldn't have anything to do with sweating either!

[ATTACH type=full]3972[/ATTACH]

this my friend is a biscuit!!

[automerge]1626582999[/automerge]

And it gas

[automerge]1626583013[/automerge]

Not petroleum or whatever

Median/Dreamway system

[ATTACH type=full" alt="232BCDC8-44C8-4D5C-A9F9-2712393FA95A.jpeg]3972[/ATTACH]

No my friend, this is a scone. THERE IS NOTHING BISCUTY ABOUT IT!!! IT'S BREAD!!! BISCUTS ARE CRUNCHY AND HARD!

And it gas

NO. No we've established this. P - E - T -R - O - L - E -U -M. There is no 'gasoline'. I am officially declaring that the accent war over petrol is now over, and that petrol won because I (Australian) and @dog (British) both say that it's petrol. Therefore it's 2 vs 1 so petrol wins. NO MORE GASOLINE.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="232BCDC8-44C8-4D5C-A9F9-2712393FA95A.jpeg]3972[/ATTACH]

[automerge]1626582999[/automerge]

And it gas

[automerge]1626583013[/automerge]

Not petroleum or whatever

Thank you! Biscuits. Really good with jelly. Especially strawberry.

[automerge]1626619919[/automerge]

No my friend, this is a scone. THERE IS NOTHING BISCUTY ABOUT IT!!! IT'S BREAD!!! BISCUTS ARE CRUNCHY AND HARD!

NO. No we've established this. P - E - T -R - O - L - E -U -M. There is no 'gasoline'. I am officially declaring that the accent war over petrol is now over, and that petrol won because I (Australian) and @dog (British) both say that it's petrol. Therefore it's 2 vs 1 so petrol wins. NO MORE GASOLINE.

No! Two against two! We need a tie-breaker!