What do you think about otherkin naming there kintypes?

I think it's a bit weird, since, that is a part of you. When you give them a name, it's like a separate identity. But I don't mind it, you do you.

I refer to my theriotypes as Asher and Ash so it's easier to talk about them. But i'm not actually naming them.

"they call him hermit the frog, hes looking for a dog. did you find your b!tch in me? your an abomination socially.."

she/her

If memory serves, this topic has actually come up before, although seeing it again speaks to just how strange it really is to some, myself included in that number.

The idea of naming is already a very foreign concept to me. My human name is indeed appropriate, almost prophetic, but it is not "me" either. It is the name I use and function by, the one I live by, the one the Persona masks itself with in place of the Self, but it is not "me". So too is the idea of even naming myself or having some other name I am called by that has some sort of decipherable meaning.

This is not to say that animals do not have things they are called by, rather that to all my knowledge and experience, animals do not have names. For example, each individual and each "voice" is unique, even if the means of communication do not function to human awareness. All have say, a distinct odor, a distinct appearance, a distinct vocalization, all where appropriate, but not all these signals can be received. The idea of a name is so abstract, so strange, that it really has no place in what we are to understand it.

I can certainly understand names in other cases, yet the ones that apply to those who are therians or practice therianism I find quite difficult to understand. This, of course, I base off in large from myself as I know that there is an I and there is too a me but those are one in the same.

• Like 2

Smilodon Populator

Guest Deleted member 57549

If memory serves, this topic has actually come up before, although seeing it again speaks to just how strange it really is to some, myself included in that number.

The idea of naming is already a very foreign concept to me. My human name is indeed appropriate, almost prophetic, but it is not "me" either. It is the name I use and function by, the one I live by, the one the Persona masks itself with in place of the Self, but it is not "me". So too is the idea of even naming myself or having some other name I am called by that has some sort of decipherable meaning.

This is not to say that animals do not have things they are called by, rather that to all my knowledge and experience, animals do not have names. For example, each individual and each "voice" is unique, even if the means of communication do not function to human awareness. All have say, a distinct odor, a distinct appearance, a distinct vocalization, all where appropriate, but not all these signals can be received. The idea of a name is so abstract, so strange, that it really has no place in what we are to understand it.

I can certainly understand names in other cases, yet the ones that apply to those who are therians or practice therianism I find quite difficult to understand. This, of course, I base off in large from myself as I know that there is an I and there is too a me but those are one in the same.

This is very interesting.

Do you think this could be related to

non-human animals not needing to communicate in the third person?

Parrots do have name-calls, and dolphins, maybe whales, I think. I pick up random tidbits as I read things and don't always remember where I get them. But neither of those would easily phonetically translate into human language. Domesticated animals like cats and dogs do seem to readily understand the concept of having a name given by a human, as they do respond to them, but I don't think they use them among themselves, except as @Red-in-Tooth said, as a scent or image.

My hawk side doesn't really have a separate name. Primordial spirit side doesn't really have an individual name until it distinguishes itself through action or situation. There's probably a "true name" that describes the energy signature, but that's most likely not pronounceable by humans. But then there are many, many smaller names that describe parts, but not the whole. I don't actually know my kintype's "true name" not consciously anyway. According to the lore, it would be a huge security risk if I did. Instead, I have partial names, and things that other people have called us along the way. (In real life, my given names don't really feel like me. I do have plans to change it legally, but even that name is more of a convenient and situational label than an actual representation. I don't want to offer something too revealing, nor something too far outside cultural norms. More like choosing a shoe that doesn't cramp the toes as much.)

I have named various aspects that have come to live with me as temporary headmates. That's also more a matter of giving them a convenient handle than a real name. This ends up happening because they are both me and not-me at the same time like a Venn diagram. We have the same origins, but they often come with different points of view than my own. The names help me to keep the various aspects straight in my own head.

I guess it depends on how much separation is involved. No separation probably means no separate name, but when viewing from the outside for one reason or another, a name might be convenient to have. Self-observation can happen and be useful from time-to-time, as is distinguishing me-then or me-there, from me-now.

• Like 1

Red Tailed Hawk Therian / Polymorph / Spirit Being / Anthro Hawk / Deitykin

Shard of Heru AKA Horus

I have dreamt that my soul name / true name is Lighter, and since I believe that my kintype (demon) is the species of my soul, I'll say that my kin name is Lighter. It refers to myself, not to my kintype.

Of course I am not my name.

To me names are like pointers / references to an individual. Sometimes more pointers / references are needed to uniquely identify someone, but a name is nevertheless useful.

• Like 2

Friends with Lucifer / Satan 💕 💞

"I want you to say what you think and become confident and authentic" - Satan.