• Animal-hearted
    • Other-hearted
    • Furry
    • Human/Non-kin
    • Witch
    • Other or questioning
    • Vampire

• 3 weeks later...
I ID as otherkin specifically distinct from therians. Therians are animals. I feel like there needs to be a word for conceptkin, objectkin, robotkin, AI kin, etc. that specifically refers to these kintypes in an umbrella fashion, just as therian contains all real world animals.

"Before we start testing today, let's have our mandatory minute of silence in honor of Earth's governing body, the Sentient Cloud. [throat clear] Starting now. [a pause] [coughing] Good, right. All hail the sentient cloud. Begin testing."

--

Cave Johnson

Guest Deleted55283

Actually, for some people (especially older alterhumans) the definition of therian is someone who identifies as something animalistic. So, a unicorn that’s basically just a magical horse is a therian, but a unicorn with higher sentience is otherkin.

But I personally think most beings, especially younger alterhumans, are too focused on labels. I think personally that having fun, connecting with other alterhumans and being comfortable with yourself is more important.

It should be noted the root word of "therian" is based upon Greek for "beast", the word "therion". This, as a word itself, also implies a predator and mammal at that in its usage, although we no longer - even in language outside the community abroad - use it quite this way.

There are rules for drafting words in the neolexicon based upon Greek and Latin roots, it is just that recognizing and categorizing each is bound to be controversial. It also, at some point, becomes inviable in terms of practicality as the language becomes so diluted in its taxonomy that only those with firm Greek and Latin understandings could comprehend the prefixes and suffixes of the roots in a meaningful way.

Smilodon Populator