Misconceptions About Your Types.

This a thread to debunk the misconceptions, stereotypes, or myths about your types.

This has happened 3 times to me (once on here, Werelist, and Nonhuman National Park), but it's often people mistake the infection as a virus or disease, but no, it's not those things. It's something of it's own, and it's more similar to a sickness than those.

Foxy isn't a yandere, believe or not there's people who actually believe that in the fandom. No, I'm not a yandere. It was just a meme in the community created by Kitty Channel Afnan but turns out people took it too srs.

So what about you all?

"they call him hermit the frog, hes looking for a dog. did you find your b!tch in me? your an abomination socially.."

she/her

Kitsune are there own species separate from regular foxes. This is something commonly believed in the west, however in Asian myths fox spirits are just that: spirits of the fox.

Every fox has the capacity to grow nine tails. The only thing separating a kitsune from a regular fox is it's age. Should a fox live 100 years, it will grow a second tail, and gain an additional tail every 100 years up to 9.

I hate, hate, hate when people just start talking blithely about how evil and cruel and wicked and deserving of death dragons are, like it's no big deal. I know many dragons in fiction and myth have been evil, but especially in recent times that image has changed in pop culture. I hate that even so, we all get lumped in with wicked dragons like Smaug in some folks' minds. I hate the stereotype so, so, so much.
  • Like 1

Drakmanka the Black

Dragonkin

Plateosaurus Therian

A common misconception which I note is seemingly pervasive all throughout humankind is that man mistakes any sabertooth cat for a "sabertooth tiger", when it has never once been the case that such a thing has existed. This is not to disparage them for their ignorance or lack of understanding in the matter, no less is it not some personal offense against me, rather it is just a point of annoyance.
  • Like 2

Smilodon Populator

• 2 months later...

Spirit immediately equals dead.

No, it does not. Some spirits are dead or undead, but not all. For example, I'm ghostkin, and the type of (non-DSMP-related) ghost I'm kin to isn't quite a soul. It's more like an intangible, nonverbal creature with personality. Not dead, but not alive, either. Just...there.

However, Ghostbur is dead. But that's another story.

cat person dogboy ???

:]

Same thing. Infected = dead.

Nope, those who are dead like zombies, skeletons, some of the insolence, and etc can get infected but being infected doesn't mean your dead.

• Like 1

"they call him hermit the frog, hes looking for a dog. did you find your b!tch in me? your an abomination socially.."

she/her

Caracals are not related to the lynx. 'Caracal' is its own separate genus including the serval and African golden cat. Lynxes and bobcats belong to the lynx genus. Tassled ears are only an example of convergent evolution.
  • Like 1

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

That dragons are solitary, fire-breathing, predatory animals that live in caves and hoard treasure. While some are like this, this is a stereotype for an incredibly diverse group of creatures, and it's particularly irritating to me because I do none of those things, since I'm a forest dragon.
  • Like 1

Clementine the RainWing

“I neither know nor think I know” -Socrates

A lot of people think pets=kinky. which is INCREDIBLY harmful.

people always assume I'm a petplayer, or a puppy (in the sexual sense), and make sexual comments towards me when i talk about my petkin lifestyle

yes, my identity and that kind of stuff overlap, but they are NOT a result of one another.

im sure many dog/puppy/catkins can relate to how frustrating it is when people assume your lifestyle is some sexual ritual -🌟

• Like 3
Skips the petkin polymorph!! kit/kits/kitself ☆ it/its ♡ flutter/flutters/flutterself ☆ mew/mews/mewself ♡ dew/dews/dewself ☆ syl/sylv/sylvs/sylvself ♡ fey/fem/feir ☆ pup/pups/pupself ♡ bun/buns/bunself ☆ fluff/fluffs/fluffself ♡ nip/nips/nipself

I'm shocked someone hasn't beaten me to this, but the very old and dangerously persistent misconception that wolves are evil. Or, more commonly now, that we're bloodthirsty predators. Maybe not evil, per se, but still that we'll attack people without provocation and kill any animal we can get our teeth into.

We are not evil, nor are we bloodthirsty monsters. The modern line of thinking there is largely descended from Medieval Western Europe. Back then, wolves were far more numerous and widespread in Europe. As a result, they came into contact with humans much more frequently. Livestock predation was relatively common. There is a reason humans have bred roughly eight gazillion shepherding/livestock guardian dog breeds. Several of them have coats intended specifically to protect them from large predators like wolves and jackals, so that the dogs could in turn protect the flocks they guarded.

But the wolves then were no more monsters than the wolves now. They killed livestock because humans encroached on their territory and livestock were easy and plentiful prey. They killed to eat. And as that song from Aladdin goes (because apparently that's where my brain is today), "Gotta steal to eat, gotta eat to live, otherwise we'd get along." The humans, though, were dependent on their livestock. So it's kind of understandable that they wouldn't look fondly on animals that killed their sources of food, fabric, and income. The stories of monsters that killed humans didn't help. But in those instances, with historical records and information about more recent and well documented wolf attacks on humans available, it's believed the wolf or wolves in question were generally either sick, had some sort of physical issue, or were hybrids. A sick or injured wolf may not be able to hunt normal prey and humans are, comparatively, rather slow and clumsy. Due to the size some of these were supposed to have been, it's now hypothesized that in several cases they were actually wolfdogs, not pure wolves. That distinction is important, as wolfdogs tend to be less afraid of - and therefore more likely to approach - humans. You can't attack a human if you don't get near them. Dogs are bred to be trusting of humans. Wolves are not. (Not to say that wolfdogs deserve this reputation any more than wolves do. I know we've got a few wolfdogs here.)

That thinking persisted and was brought with European colonists to North America. Where things panned out pretty much exactly as you'd expect. They killed us off en masse. It saddens me greatly knowing that we used to live were I do now, but that we haven't been seen here in somewhere between 150 and 200 years. Humans wiped us out. And just to the west of here, some of them are still fighting our reintroduction tooth and nail. Because that thinking - that we're just savage, indiscriminate, bloodthirsty predators - still persists. This is why we're still on the endangered species list. This is why we're still killed by ranchers and farmers. Humans came into our territory, wiped out or pushed out our natural food sources, and then slaughtered us either for eating what we could get or purely out of fear.

We're not monsters. We're just trying to survive, and to us your sheep look just as much like dinner as a deer. So if you've come into our territory and replaced all the deer with sheep, well...

If you can't tell, this is a thing I've thought about a lot over the years. Even during the years I was in denial about what I am, I was still learning about human lore around wolves.

• Like 1

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

I am a manifestation of the death-bring aspect of a star who takes the form of a dragon. Humans think death spirits are evil, and I understand why. No one wants to die. Death is scary and often painful. However, we're a neutral force that's part of the balance of the universe. Without death, there is no life. Oh, and I don't reap people because I want to go on a power trip or "be mean." *rolls eyes*
Cosmic Death Dragon // Arrow of Bast

That one theory that I'm a human just because I have determination! What the hell Undertale Fandom? I'm clearly a monster! Need I say more?

Oi, I hate that theory. You have DT, yes, but you can barely contain it. More physicality than the average monster, but not enough to maintain homeostasis. It pours out your eye if you take your eye patch off (or at least that's what it looks like) and last I checked, humans don't melt.

Also the theory that Alphys injected you with Determination? She wouldn't do that. She's head-over-heels for you, she'd be too scared to lose you because of something she did.

That fandom needs to use their BRAINS

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

A common misconception of which I have no explanation for other than it might be related to the erroneous notion of what a "sabertooth tiger" is, is that sabertooth cats live in "the jungle", rather than in much more temperate, if not cold, plains and forest environs of which did actually happen.

North America, South America, and Europe all in relatively recent prehistory had no "jungles" of this kind where such felids were dominant. But somehow people do generally assume I belong somewhere hot tropical.

Smilodon Populator

There is the common misconception that chimps are basically evil and all the negative traits of humanity made into a species, and bonobos are somehow the polar opposite. It's really not as simple as that. Material that doesn't feed into that doesn't seem to break mainstream knowledge. It's frustrating.

Bonobos are heralded as peaceful etc. Though cannibalism of infants has been seen 3 times, attacks resulting in severe injury sometimes happen etc.

Couple years ago, at a zoo in Germany, a motherless male was transferred there and the introduction wasn't instantly smooth, he did get picked on by females. Chunks bitten out of him. It got sensationalised in mainstream news, people blamed the zoo coz they thought it wasn't normal for such a lovely species to do that. Even a small primate sanctuary in the UK kicked off which was disappointing. Anyone who knows anything about bonobos tried to tell everyone to calm down, this happens especially to lone males etc. I ended up getting into a heated argument on fb with the monkey sanctuary lmao.

(He has since settled in)

A male's position in society is based on his mum's. No mum? No one to defend him. The poor boy has to start from scratch.

• Like 1

A few things about dragons have been said, but I want to get a little more specific: I'm tired of the notion that black dragons in particular are evil. I find that the opinion of dragons in general as evil creatures is waning in this day and age, but more often than not, black dragons are still viewed this way. As a black dragon who is not malicious, this bothers me quite a bit. Black dragons are as diverse as dragons themselves, if you ask me. I've yet to meet a black dragon who would outright call themselves evil. I've met a few I would describe as more neutral or chaotic neutral, but not evil.

the black sands
A multi-faceted being comprised of human & nonhuman facets.
Werewolf copinglink. 🐺  •  Otherhearted. 💕
they/them

Nixies have very little media represention, and most people not familiar with germanic myth don't know about them. That said, those who do know about them assume that their 'true form' is a frog-like humanoid and that their main prey is humans (specifically male ones). These are both incorrect. I didn't have a 'true form', just a preffered form that was constantly changing in small ways. My hair was never the same color or length as it was last time something saw me. Also, my main prey was fish, small crabs and the like, and riverside plants. If i was really hungry, i might eat a human, but that was rare. I would also eat them if they came to close to my side of river. But i never lured them into my lair to eat. If i was lonely, i might lure a human or other nature spirit, but i wouldn't eat them. It's annoying the whole 'oooo siren luring humans into their Evil Lair to eat them!' narritive humans seem to have about mer-folk.
  • Like 1

https://en.pronouns.page/@WintersTouch

Axe (hy/it/fae/rot + other neos) and Apophis (she/fey)

Demon, Nøkk, Dragon, Kipo, Jane, Julia. Leucistic Hognose Snake Daemon.

While I don't take any personal issue with 'stereotypes' surrounding dragons in media, as I am not physically a dragon and therefore am not affected by this (although it would be nice to see more diverse interpretations of dragons for the sake of originality), I have heard a few misconceptions about dragonkin specifically that I find bothersome. For one, that we 'chose' our kintype because people assume that dragons are powerful or 'cool'. I find this quite irritating, because not only is it a misconception about otherkinity in general (as we don't choose our kintypes), but it also posits that otherkinity is a coping mechanism, in this case, that it stems from insecurity. I have noticed a similar trend in ascribing mental illness to a lack of control.

I have personally experienced both of these assumptions; in fact, it was the first 'explanation' my therapist leapt to when I brought up my species dysphoria. I have also seen this from non-otherkin in online spaces, and whether this is a good-faith attempt to understand the community or is coming from a place of dismissal, it shows a dismissive and surface-level understanding of otherkinity. It's also quite stigmatizing, assuming (both in the case of otherkin with so-called 'cool' kintypes, and also when it comes to mental illness) that these groups are inherently controlling (I realize that a lack of control over one's own life is a common and valid cause of mental illness and various coping mechanisms, but assuming that as the root cause of any condition without reason is unhelpful).

Additionally, what species qualify as 'cool' is incredibly subjective; I'm personally neutral on whether my kintype is 'cool', as it's just what I feel I should be. When used as an argument to dismiss otherkinity as a 'coping mechanism', it also ignores the many otherkin whose kintypes are less popular species. Overall, quite a frustrating misconception, which could also apply to other kintypes.

• Like 2

That wasps are the spawn of satan, go out of their way to sting people, are evil, deserve to die, etc etc etc

We're pollinators too!! And we eat pests! It's not our fault humans like sticking their noses near our nests!

• Like 1

Lori ~ she/her ~

primary theriotypes: centipede, yellowjacket, red deer

primary fictiontypes: kabbu, edward nygma

That wasps are the spawn of satan, go out of their way to sting people, are evil, deserve to die, etc etc etc

We're pollinators too!! And we eat pests! It's not our fault humans like sticking their noses near our nests!

Honestly I hate when people say that. Like wasps are just cute and helpful.

• Like 2

Lokii/Sukii

Gemini, Avengers fan, Lover of Tony Stark (His personality not looks) Lover of Captian America, and Tom Holland.

“Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist” -Tony Stark