I do not like the pronoun classifications

I don't seem to get what you mean. The creators aware that your pronouns have nothing to do with your gender. I'm agender, falling under the non-binary term, and I don't find it at all confusing.

"they call him hermit the frog, hes looking for a dog. did you find your b!tch in me? your an abomination socially.."

she/her

There is a significant differentiation of language lost in what is the community of modern non-normative gender identity due to the misapplication of, rather pollution of, language. Referentially, masculine and male are not inherently the same, that is to say, males are inherently masculine but so can a female be masculine, or rather, possess traits seen as typically "male" without being an actual or identifying male. Likewise, this applies just as much in reverse, a man can be "effeminate" or even feminine, but still be decidedly and distinctly male. A non-binary individual can choose either or, and, and or, alternate it if they wish even, or simply us a they, them, thyself, one, oneself, et cetera, or even parts of the neolexicon if they feel particularly strongly about this - although I simply fundamentally disagree because English is already overburdened with tools to do this already but I digress.

There really is no discrepancy here, one can go so far as to not even list them and merely list them in the signature block if they feel so strongly. This feels far too much like a case situation and reaching to appease very niche scenarios, of which are already addressed, I am afraid.

Smilodon Populator

There is a significant differentiation of language lost in what is the community of modern non-normative gender identity due to the misapplication of, rather pollution of, language. Referentially, masculine and male are not inherently the same, that is to say, males are inherently masculine but so can a female be masculine, or rather, possess traits seen as typically "male" without being an actual or identifying male. Likewise, this applies just as much in reverse, a man can be "effeminate" or even feminine, but still be decidedly and distinctly male. A non-binary individual can choose either or, and, and or, alternate it if they wish even, or simply us a they, them, thyself, one, oneself, et cetera, or even parts of the neolexicon if they feel particularly strongly about this - although I simply fundamentally disagree because English is already overburdened with tools to do this already but I digress.

There really is no discrepancy here, one can go so far as to not even list them and merely list them in the signature block if they feel so strongly. This feels far too much like a case situation and reaching to appease very niche scenarios, of which are already addressed, I am afraid.

I get what you mean- calling he/ him pronouns masculine for instance is not conflating them with maleness.

however I can imagine someone who’s pronouns do not match their gender/gender expression being made uncomfortable. it’s true that its a minor thing and Im not exactly huffing and puffing behind the keyboard here. I just think it would be better if the pronouns were listed like they are on most other sites. If the mod team ever gets around to it it would be a nice change.

I don't seem to get what you mean. The creators aware that your pronouns have nothing to do with your gender. I'm agender, falling under the non-binary term, and I don't find it at all confusing.

well one nonbinary person is one nonbinary person, but also Im confused just looking at your post. I see your pronouns listed as “other”- with no pronouns in your signature- so how should I refer to you? That’s the other thing come to think of it these descriptions can be a bit general.

I get what you mean- calling he/ him pronouns masculine for instance is not conflating them with maleness.

however I can imagine someone who’s pronouns do not match their gender/gender expression being made uncomfortable. it’s true that its a minor thing and Im not exactly huffing and puffing behind the keyboard here. I just think it would be better if the pronouns were listed like they are on most other sites. If the mod team ever gets around to it it would be a nice change.

well one nonbinary person is one nonbinary person, but also Im confused just looking at your post. I see your pronouns listed as “other”- with no pronouns in your signature- so how should I refer to you? That’s the other thing come to think of it these descriptions can be a bit general.

My pronouns are in my about me. Coy/void/ze/it/he. Though I do not mind going by all neopronouns, I do not consider them my specific pronouns.

You can literally just ask for someones pronouns if you can't see them. I don't think custom pronouns are bad or good, just unnecessary.

Edited by Unstable_Day

"they call him hermit the frog, hes looking for a dog. did you find your b!tch in me? your an abomination socially.."

she/her

I can bring this up with the staff about changing it from "masculine/feminine/other", however I feel as though we don't need a custom field for pronouns, since listing them on your profile or you signature is always an option and provides for more space to write them out (with explanations).
  • Like 3

- panthera onca -

Swiftpaw: I agree. Having a custom field would be nice because for us at least the answer to what pronouns to use is to ask or use names wherever possible if you don't know. I can also see why that might make it harder for people who use neorpronouns or multiple sets, and I don't know how anyone would guess what "other" means most of the time since that can mean anything from neopronouns to ask pronouns.
  • Like 1

Anomaly

plural | otherkin | alien

:alien:

• 3 weeks later...
I do think being able to add custom pronouns would be useful although a current alternative is adding customs to a signature. I think masculine/neutral/feminine should be changed to he, they, and she, because that's how we're interpreting it anyways. Removing masculine/neutral/feminine would also remove connotations, for example a person who simply enjoys they pronouns without any relevance to gender neutrality or a person who uses she pronouns not because of femininity but because they were assigned those pronouns and don't mind them.

• 2 months later...
The one thing I think would be really helpful about being able to add custom pronouns is for our multilingual community members. I speak enough Spanish to hold a basic conversation, for instance, but if I'm talking to somebody from Mexico or Spain, whose first language is Spanish, and they're nonbinary, I have no idea what pronouns to use. (Even though I really should, as I use neutral pronouns myself.) So it would be helpful in that regard. Even though that does only really influence private messaging and the one section of the forum that's dedicated to international 'kin.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

• 2 months later...

Your selection from the 'pronouns' field is stored as a variable, and different areas of the site will address you differently based on what you select. For this reason, a custom field wouldn't really be possible to do securely. However, as a compromise, we have added multiple different pronoun options instead of just masc/fem/neutral/other. We currently have the following options for the field:

• He/Him
  • She/Her
  • They/Them
  • Ze/Hir
  • Xe/Xem
  • It/Its
  • Mx
  • Any/All
  • Other Pronouns (see sig)

As such, this suggestion is partially implemented.

• Like 2

Naia Ōkami [ID] [KB] [KO]

Site Administrator & Founder

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its

staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!