LGBTQ Wiki Merge

For more information.

But for summarised context... The FANDOM staff have taken it upon themselves to merge all LGBT related wikis into a central one. Sounds good on paper right? Who wouldn't a central place for organisation? Except.. fandom staff didn't notify wiki moderators or creators until now and they're not saying when the merge will take place. Also..

Only official terms that are recognised by people working on LGBTQIA+ issues will be approved.

This means any isolated minorities are "not approved" and won't be published to an article.

Also worth noting that the 'common' articles already created on the new wiki by fandom staff are primarily sourced by medical sites.

What is your stance on it?

As a Xenogender myself this feels very exclusionary. It's odd that a group of people think they can classify "official terms" when the soul of gender and sexuality is the individuality. It took me so long to find a label for my Xenogender being, how much longer will it take for others when it's banned from one of the most popular LGBT resources?

Edited by Jeb_CC

Ghost-Dragonkin | Snakehearted

I am immortal until proven otherwise.

I use tone tags!

Untitled_06-21-2022_06-58-38.gif

Rex: This isn't the first issue there's been with Fandom as a platform with trying to sanitize the hosted content. We haven't agreed with the LGBTA Wiki's management and won't be supporting the new wiki that we've heard their staff is making, but on Fandom's side it is exclusionary and medicalist and there are other wikis which don't deserve this. It feels like it goes against what Fandom wikis were intended to be and one of the criticisms we had with the LGBTA wiki was that there were too many restricted pages. The inclusion of medical professionals is also not exactly a good thing given the LGBT+ history of medicalization.

There's also an issue of community history preservation with taking down the wikis but I believe I have seen people working to back up the bigger wikis and I believe Archive crawls fandom wikis more regularly.

Anomaly

plural | otherkin | alien

:alien:

Rex: This isn't the first issue there's been with Fandom as a platform with trying to sanitize the hosted content. We haven't agreed with the LGBTA Wiki's management and won't be supporting the new wiki that we've heard their staff is making, but on Fandom's side it is exclusionary and medicalist and there are other wikis which don't deserve this. It feels like it goes against what Fandom wikis were intended to be and one of the criticisms we had with the LGBTA wiki was that there were too many restricted pages. The inclusion of medical professionals is also not exactly a good thing given the LGBT+ history of medicalization.

There's also an issue of community history preservation with taking down the wikis but I believe I have seen people working to back up the bigger wikis and I believe Archive crawls fandom wikis more regularly.

I completely concur. It does go exactly against their own motto "Created by the fandom, for the fandom". Now it's "Created by the fandom, deleted and taken over by the organisation". Eesh.

A medical version of gender and orientation psychology is best for actual medical sites, not sites accessible to the 99% of the population that don't have a medical degree.

I also want to add as a general statement that the community is currently transitioning to use Miraheze instead as a host. If you're into boycotting, I recommend Miraheze. But of course, use whatever you want to use.

https://lgbta.miraheze.org/wiki/LGBTA_Wiki

I use tone tags!

Honestly after watching the Miraheze move for a little while and lurking their Discord community to get a better glimpse at what they're doing - it's kind of a mess.

They're mainly moderated by minors who get too overwhelmed to actually moderate the discord server, and the adults are too busy to even update the server on wiki announcements. Instead they let the minors post memes in the announcement channels which is plainly unprofessional. And now I've found out that they're using Taimi instead and Miraheze will be shut down.

There's a big sense of hypocrisy here... First Fandom.org didn't tell the wiki creators what would happen. And now the wiki creators didn't tell the members what would happen. I can't support anyone now, which is annoying because I want an actual sensible database of LGBTQIA+ related terminology. Why is that so hard? Why is there one wiki supported by medical fields and "official terms", and another wiki that supports everything and has no moderation at all? Did folkel forget a middle ground exists? Eesh. I'm venting a bit, sorry.

Is there any other large database of LGBTQIA related terminology that isn't an absolute mess right now? Or is that wishful thinking?

So tempted to just make my own. My core idea: Have the umbrella labels with their own articles, but not need an article for every single Xenogender that exists. I mean the nature of gender implies that there's infinite possibilities, and that's why unmoderated wikis end up with 6000+ articles.

I use tone tags!

Rex: As I said the LGBTA Wiki has had issues in the past and I'm not too surprised it's a mess. We had crosses with some of the mods and while I was not personally involved there were incidents like holding personal grudges, reverting or keeping changes to pages that benefited them, and locking pages for petty reasons. The general MOGAI community as in a community centered around microlabels is extremely disorganized in general and much more prone to in-fighting.

I think if enough folks got together with a good moderation team they could create a decent wiki - but I just haven't seen any of that from MOGAI groups and attempts tend to erupt into discourse. Terminology wikis also do tend to be a mess in general, such as Pluralpedia, but a resource dedicated to information and with separate glossaries I think could work.

Anomaly

Rex: As I said the LGBTA Wiki has had issues in the past and I'm not too surprised it's a mess. We had crosses with some of the mods and while I was not personally involved there were incidents like holding personal grudges, reverting or keeping changes to pages that benefited them, and locking pages for petty reasons. The general MOGAI community as in a community centered around microlabels is extremely disorganized in general and much more prone to in-fighting.

I think if enough folks got together with a good moderation team they could create a decent wiki - but I just haven't seen any of that from MOGAI groups and attempts tend to erupt into discourse. Terminology wikis also do tend to be a mess in general, such as Pluralpedia, but a resource dedicated to information and with separate glossaries I think could work.

Oh yes, it's very hard to organise a community - because by nature, a group of folkel have very differing opinions.

I got so sick and tired of it so I ended up applying and today I'm now an official Miraheze LGBTQIA+ moderator lmao (which they've settled on and said no to Taimi). I'm going to put a stop to this lack of organisation nonsense and fix this shit myself. :') I've already put together some proposals and working with a Miraheze staff member to fix some bugs. And I'm actually going to ensure announcements are made!

I use tone tags!

Oh yes, it's very hard to organise a community - because by nature, a group of folkel have very differing opinions.

I got so sick and tired of it so I ended up applying and today I'm now an official Miraheze LGBTQIA+ moderator lmao (which they've settled on and said no to Taimi). I'm going to put a stop to this lack of organisation nonsense and fix this shit myself. :') I've already put together some proposals and working with a Miraheze staff member to fix some bugs. And I'm actually going to ensure announcements are made!

Rex: That sounds like a good deal! If you'd like our system may also be able to volunteer, we don't have as much free time but we do have a decent amount of knowledge on wikis and wiki organization from using MediaWiki for system information.

Anomaly

Rex: That sounds like a good deal! If you'd like our system may also be able to volunteer, we don't have as much free time but we do have a decent amount of knowledge on wikis and wiki organization from using MediaWiki for system information.

Through an amusing twist of events, I'm now the co-owner of the LGBTQIA+ Miraheze wiki. There's been quite an eventful shift, a lot of moderators leaving because they were used to the old inefficient style of moderation, the old owner leaving because they couldn't take the stress. I've been cracking down on the mods being well, not-moderator like, where I see it at least. I really hope I can change the culture of the wiki and its Discord server to be more professional and respectful. If you're up for some volunteering that would be fantastic! But I won't go into my methods here. I can probably wrap this thread up to a close now, the Merge itself is such a side thing now considering we're just working off a different host and FANDOM be damned. I did not expect my month to turn out like this.

I use tone tags!

• 2 weeks later...
Rex: A couple of my system members checked it out and weren't comfortable with some parts of the wiki - but one thing I do want to say is that it seems wrong to me to have one user take full credit for pages which involve different experiences/subcultures. I noticed the system and regression pages give credit to one system for writing them - even though on the old wiki I know our system and others contributed to the system page. Both pages have issues and additions that may want to be added. The kin page runs into much of the same issues as the previous wiki where there is irrelevant information and the age regression page in particular I want to point out doesn't mention that "little" is a term which came from kink, which feels irresponsible to me.

Anomaly

Rex: A couple of my system members checked it out and weren't comfortable with some parts of the wiki - but one thing I do want to say is that it seems wrong to me to have one user take full credit for pages which involve different experiences/subcultures. I noticed the system and regression pages give credit to one system for writing them - even though on the old wiki I know our system and others contributed to the system page. Both pages have issues and additions that may want to be added. The kin page runs into much of the same issues as the previous wiki where there is irrelevant information and the age regression page in particular I want to point out doesn't mention that "little" is a term which came from kink, which feels irresponsible to me.

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. Any pages will be, by default, what the original FANDOM wiki had. It's a long process having to go through every page and revamp them. :')

I use tone tags!

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. Any pages will be, by default, what the original FANDOM wiki had. It's a long process having to go through every page and revamp them. :')

Rex: I understand. I thought I would point that out - I was a little confused why one system was being credited for a wiki entry when there were multiple contributers. As far as I remember we were the ones who created the system page on the wiki when there wasn't one but I could be wrong.

Anomaly