"Kinnie" Good, Bad, or Neutral?

As I am completely brand-new to the otherkin community and even the full concept of otherkin as a whole, I am still trying to understand and learn terms used. I've seen the word "Kinnie" a lot and I've seen mixed things on it, so I was hoping this could be clarified to me a bit better so I can better understand the term and its place in the community.

For me personally, the term just sounds...unpleasant, for lack of better words. I would really prefer it not referred to me, but I'm unsure as what place it has in the community in order to fully justify this displeasure with the term. I've seen some people mention that the term is, not only poor in choice of use, but also potentially offensive while others (mostly on Tumblr by what I've noticed) that just toss it around like they would the term 'otherkin'. So is this term something that's bad and potentially offensive, is this a term that's ok to use and accept, or is it even just dependent on the individual? What's your guy's opinion on the term and is it something you mind being referred to as? I'd love to know!

Light Fury\Shiny Tapu Koko || She/ Her || Newly Awakened || Shy and Anxious Mess

(A light fury not THE Light Fury from the HTTYD 3 movie!)

It would be generous to consider the term "kinnie" in a positive light, as it has a strong negative, if not pejorative connotation to it. If one believes in the idea that people can inflict offense, rather than that offense can only be taken, yes, the term would be considered "offensive" to apply.

A significant issue of "kinnie" is, or what a "kinnie" is and where it clashes with what it claims to be, is that it suggests and supposes at its core that one can "kin" or most commonly "kin with" anything. Notably, a distinguishing element of what makes "otherkin" distinct from other aspects of "other" is that it is referential to, almost explicitly, by being a non-choice; it is non-elective, one simply is this thing, one does not choose to "kin with", one is "kin".

So too is it generally associated with "less valid", or at least highly questionable "otherkin"; often those who are, derogatorily referred to as, "Tumblrkin" and similar.

As for myself, I have a deep-seated disdain for the phrase, let alone labels at all, and the issue I find myself taking with it is the stigma is often truer than I would like it to be. While I cannot, of course, ever know with certainty if they are truly "other" or not, it has been my personal experience almost all of those who have claimed the label or associate with it are of questionable authenticity. Again, I am quite jaded in this capacity and highly suspect of anyone claiming to be "other" to begin with but my exposure to these particular individuals has always had a higher rate of suspect quality than others, although I will never disparage them over it.

Smilodon Populator

It would be generous to consider the term "kinnie" in a positive light, as it has a strong negative, if not pejorative connotation to it. If one believes in the idea that people can inflict offense, rather than that offense can only be taken, yes, the term would be considered "offensive" to apply.

A significant issue of "kinnie" is, or what a "kinnie" is and where it clashes with what it claims to be, is that it suggests and supposes at its core that one can "kin" or most commonly "kin with" anything. Notably, a distinguishing element of what makes "otherkin" distinct from other aspects of "other" is that it is referential to, almost explicitly, by being a non-choice; it is non-elective, one simply is this thing, one does not choose to "kin with", one is "kin".

So too is it generally associated with "less valid", or at least highly questionable "otherkin"; often those who are, derogatorily referred to as, "Tumblrkin" and similar.

As for myself, I have a deep-seated disdain for the phrase, let alone labels at all, and the issue I find myself taking with it is the stigma is often truer than I would like it to be. While I cannot, of course, ever know with certainty if they are truly "other" or not, it has been my personal experience almost all of those who have claimed the label or associate with it are of questionable authenticity. Again, I am quite jaded in this capacity and highly suspect of anyone claiming to be "other" to begin with but my exposure to these particular individuals has always had a higher rate of suspect quality than others, although I will never disparage them over it.

Thank you very much for the in-depth response! I am still learning the ropes of what terms go with what or who and which terms are considered of 'less-than-enjoyable' to the majority. I didn't want this particular term to give me issues on how I feel for it without fully understanding its purpose and use and, as mentioned in my main post, it is a term I see casually thrown about on Tumblr (where I am active at). So I wasn't confident in my ability to judge whether or not this term was of positive or negative light without understanding it more, and I felt as though Tumblr is an unreliable source when doing proper information gathering.

Light Fury\Shiny Tapu Koko || She/ Her || Newly Awakened || Shy and Anxious Mess

I pretty much agree with everything Red-in-Tooth stated. Kinnie closely tied to the word "Kin" being used as a verb, which is incorrect terminology in Otherkin circles.

In my opinion, when I see someone state they're a Kinnie, it shows to me that they've clearly not done a lot of varied research on Alterhumanity, as they would realise the negative history of its usage. It does not paint them in a positive light, socially or intellectually. Not to say they're ignorant or anything, just misinformed.

Ghost-Dragonkin | Snakehearted

I am immortal until proven otherwise.

I use tone tags!

Untitled_06-21-2022_06-58-38.gif

Honestly I don't really like the term. I wouldn't like anyone calling me it. I've had people call me it in the past in a negative way. I just think of it as more a negative term rather than a positive one. Plus it is more derived from the term "Otherkin" and I identify more with the term "Therian" since I only identify as nonhuman animals that exist on earth. Although i've seen the term be used in a positive way, my brain still immediately thinks of it in a negative way whenever I hear it. Although no hate towards anyone who likes the term, personally, I just don't like it.

Even without knowing the connotation of people taking Otherkin and dragging the name through the mud, "Kinnie" has always felt childish and immature, like anyone using it wasn't really taking things seriously.

That said, I have known people who didn't know it was a derogatory term and used it to describe themselves because they liked how it sounded. They stopped when they found out about the negative connotations attached to the term.

I think in the end the problem all stems from the same thing all words that have a derogatory connotation have in common: Its use has been mean-spirited and designed to tear down. Now of course there have been cases where subcultures have tried to reclaim a derogatory term, but overall the Otherkin community hasn't bothered (we do have a rather lot of issues going on already to worry about something like that right now) with "Kinnie".

Drakmanka the Black

Dragonkin

Plateosaurus Therian

As everyone's already said the connotation does tend to be negative, though I will point out that some people (like myself) do refer to themselves as "kinnies" in a humorous way amongst friends! I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that in any serious discussion though, for sure, and in general prefer some of the slightly older terms like fictionkind and therian, as compared to fickin or kin in general. It does depend, I've met some people who both take their 'kinnity very seriously and use the word in a serious manner, but in general public discussions it's considered somewhat rude without knowing what the people's stance around you is.

Rufus * Therian + Fictionkind Polykin * He/Him

Sit by the firelights's glow, tell us an old tale we know...

Current shift/s: Frodo Baggins

I'm pretty neutral on the word itself. If someone called me a kinnie, though, I would assume they were intending to insult me. Nonhumans who call themselves kinnies as a joke are totally fine with me.

"Wholly wounded, I imitate, I take shape."

polymorphic

One of the largest personal grievances I have with the term and why it sits poorly with me on a fundamental level is, is because it degrades that which is sacred. The core element of one's being, be it purely mental, or solely spiritual, or the infusion of both, it is profane to; it makes that which is a special thing and a special place, common, mundane. It waters it down, treats it as a hackneyed, joking commodity, some game to be played with.

The inner world and the alchemy of it, the transformation of the true self into manifestation and expression in the world is no easy thing or laughing matter. There is a time for joyfulness and play, but this just dishonors it, disrespects it. It makes it the language and playthings of man, no less children.

I cannot blame them for it, not unless they do so intentionally, but I find those are truthfully few and far between - and when those characters arise, it is most often even among them because they know no better and know not which they do. How could I not find them absolved of guilt and not called to show them the way it should be? As it is, we should scarcely put stock in labels to begin with. We should live as such good examples and incarnations of ourselves, even in this life, that we are seen for those things in and of themselves, not the words we or others attach and subscribe to.

Smilodon Populator

Personally, I do use the word "kinnie". But I only use it when I'm being funny or joking. I would never genuinely identify or describe my identity as a "kinnie". Most people who do are 'kin by choice or "kin for fun". Which is a seperate community from the otherkin experience -- if it could be called a community at all.
Levi🗣️

besides when im joking or just messing around, i dont really like the word kinnie. i would definitely prefer to not be called a kinnie or hear people calling themselves kinnies during more serious conversations. same goes for other words like kinning.
  • Like 2

☄️goofball

fictionkin

he/him

I pretty much agree with everything Red-in-Tooth stated. Kinnie closely tied to the word "Kin" being used as a verb, which is incorrect terminology in Otherkin circles.

In my opinion, when I see someone state they're a Kinnie, it shows to me that they've clearly not done a lot of varied research on Alterhumanity, as they would realise the negative history of its usage. It does not paint them in a positive light, socially or intellectually. Not to say they're ignorant or anything, just misinformed.

Thanks for the feedback on this! By what I've been reading, this is pretty much the big reason why the term seems to be in a more negative light on top of it just sounding a bit childish (which I suppose is subject for debate if that is a good or bad thing within itself).

[automerge]1645287511[/automerge]

Honestly I don't really like the term. I wouldn't like anyone calling me it. I've had people call me it in the past in a negative way. I just think of it as more a negative term rather than a positive one. Plus it is more derived from the term "Otherkin" and I identify more with the term "Therian" since I only identify as nonhuman animals that exist on earth. Although i've seen the term be used in a positive way, my brain still immediately thinks of it in a negative way whenever I hear it. Although no hate towards anyone who likes the term, personally, I just don't like it.

I haven't had anyone call me 'kinnie' as of now (though I'm brand new with being involved with any of this so perhaps I just haven't had the exposure to it yet), but I agree that the term just has an negative sound to it at least to me personally. It's not something I'd care to be called either and I apologize that people have used it in a negative way towards you.

Personally I think the word is a slur on the otherkin community. I've only ever seen KFF use it without realizing how harmful the word and their actions are on the greater otherkin community.

"Before we start testing today, let's have our mandatory minute of silence in honor of Earth's governing body, the Sentient Cloud. [throat clear] Starting now. [a pause] [coughing] Good, right. All hail the sentient cloud. Begin testing."

--

Cave Johnson

I'm just confused on the definition on kinnie/kin to a kinnie is tbh.

Like what do kinnies think kin/kinning mean ?

Obviously i know what other'kin' is but would like to know the definition of kin in a kinnie sense to compare.

I see people make kinlists on carrds and wonder if its a 'i relate to this character /adopt certain aspects of them onto my personality/i rp as them'

I Just dont get their definition

• Like 1

I'm just confused on the definition on kinnie/kin to a kinnie is tbh.

Like what do kinnies think kin/kinning mean ?

Obviously i know what other'kin' is but would like to know the definition of kin in a kinnie sense to compare.

I see people make kinlists on carrds and wonder if its a 'i relate to this character /adopt certain aspects of them onto my personality/i rp as them'

I Just dont get their definition

Yeah there is obviously a disconnect between the terms. IMO I'd prefer they not piggyback on Otherkin terminology but I can't stop them. The only thing I can do is question those when I see them. It's hard enough ensuring we have a good image without folkel going round misinforming others. :/ And the whole kinning term is very misinforming.

Ghost-Dragonkin | Snakehearted

I am immortal until proven otherwise.

I use tone tags!

Untitled_06-21-2022_06-58-38.gif

The fundamental issues are, are a dissolution, misapplication, misattribution, and misappropriation of language, an issue facing the entire spectrum of this community as a whole among others. When the idea is, somehow and likely by means of unknowing ignorance and innocent lack of understanding rather than malice, that one can be "kin to something" that creates the problem in the first place. The word "kin" is not appropriately understood, let alone applied, in the sense of being blood related to something - a fundamental relation that is to say - versus "kith" which is close relationship to. Kinship is to family, siblings, parents, offspring, as kithship is to close friendship.

As many of those who use "kin" in the way described and deeply disapproved of above, there is a fundamental lack of understanding one is born into it and that it is not elective, just as much as it is a internal experience versus an external one. Plenty of definitions, including probably the most commonly seen one by those trying to figure out what "kin" means is patently erroneous in this fashion. Just the idea that it is a motion of "heavily relate to" over anything else shows how far off the perception of a so-called "kinnie" is from appropriately using the term, the two distinctions are not even recognizable anymore.

Point being, their definition does not make any sense to begin with but seeing as there is little universal formalized code or governance of the lexicon, as well as this strange notion of constantly encouraging the neolexicon to grow, this issue is only ever going to keep evolving - and the issue is by no means limited to just the muddying of waters of what these things mean. As I have denoted before, "therianthrope" and "therianthropy" are already used inaccurately even among the otherkin side of the community, simply based on the taxonomy of the words alone.

It simply is not worth paying mind to in the end, since nothing of merit or note will be done about it, and it is just better to keep those who take it so lightly at bay. Perhaps one day they will understand the depth of its meaning, perhaps not.

Smilodon Populator

im more on the negative side about the term 'kinnie'. its mainly based on the seriousness of being an otherkin being taken away in a way. a lot of kinnies to me are also quick to not accept us when they are misusing otherkin terms. i used to see myself as a kinnie before i found out the reasons for why its wrong and i havent stopped seeing it as a bad term since then.