Book Recommendations!

Ever since I was a little kid, I could always completely lose myself in books. They were a way to escape, a way to return to a home I had never seen. Books are still very important to me and I always love a good book. So I thought it would be good for us to have a place to recommend the books we love, or whatever we happen to be reading at the moment!

To start this off, I would have to recommend the Firekeeper Saga by Jane Lindskold. I'm currently rereading Through Wolf's Eyes, which is the first book in the series. It still feels as much like home to me as it did the first time I read it. The protagonists are a young woman named Firekeeper who is pretty much 100% a wolf therian, her brother who is an actual wolf, and their human friend Darien who it could be convincingly argued is horsehearted. It's a really well written series. The characters are well rounded and don't fall into the usual cardboard cutout type character models of sword and sorcery. The setting also really comes alive. And the worldbuilding is fantastic. So I would definitely, definitely recommend this. Especially since this is a gathering place for those of us who can relate to feeling like we're in the wrong bodies.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

As a dragon, I must always recommend E.E. Knight's Age of Fire series whenever a thread like this comes up! It's a six-book saga about three dragon siblings and the lives they lead in a fairly classic fantasy world. I love it because it's one of the rare cases of the main characters not being human/humanoid (and in my personal case it's nice to read a story from the perspective of a fellow dragon), and it's really done quite well! The author is now writing a sequel series called Dragoneer Academy which is set several hundred (perhaps as much as a thousand?) years after the events of Age of Fire. It's a story about a human, but it's an interesting underdog story. The series isn't yet finished, but I'm enjoying it enough to buy each book as they're released!

And being a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's work, I also simply must toss out a recommendation for his work. Especially The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Some people say it's too wordy, and if you prefer a fast-paced, action-filled story, it's probably not for you. But if you enjoy reading for the act of reading, you'll enjoy it. Tolkien was a true wordsmith. Not only are the characters engaging and the story interesting, but every sentence is beautifully crafted, almost melodic in its prose.

Drakmanka the Black

Dragonkin

Plateosaurus Therian

Absolutely would recommend The Girl Who Dared To Think and the rest of that series. It really hits home, but it's too well-written for me to put down.

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

My favorite book series would be the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini! It has dragons, elves, dwarfs, and magic and is a true fantasy classic.

It's full of plot twists and written beautifully -🌟

• Like 1
Skips the petkin polymorph!! kit/kits/kitself ☆ it/its ♡ flutter/flutters/flutterself ☆ mew/mews/mewself ♡ dew/dews/dewself ☆ syl/sylv/sylvs/sylvself ♡ fey/fem/feir ☆ pup/pups/pupself ♡ bun/buns/bunself ☆ fluff/fluffs/fluffself ♡ nip/nips/nipself

Oof. I've read so many books and have many favorites. The ones I enjoyed the most were :

Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Katherine Lasky

Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud

LionBoy by Zizou Corder

Dirk Pitt by Clive Cussler

There are many others, but I say these are ones really dragged me into their world.