Those With Multi-Kintypes, Tell Me About Some Things

Finally coming out to say that I am confident in my new kintype to say that my 2nd kintype (is that what I call this???) is a shiny tapu koko!

This is a kintype that I am still working out with myself and learning about. I never wanted to have multiple kintypes, but we can't choose these things. Needless to say, I'd love to learn more about those with multiple kintypes, how you work with different kintypes, and how you keep from getting all twisted around, haha! So if you have multiple kintypes, tell me about them and what it's like for you to have more than one!

I also feel this new kintype of mine a bit stronger as the weather warms up (my kintype being a tropical-dwelling species), so I don't know if that can cause a stronger shift towards it or if it just lined up conveniently with my "new awakening" or if multiple kintypes can shift around in strength at all. I have lots of questions and I'd love to know some more details into this! Thanks for reading, as always!

Light Fury\Shiny Tapu Koko || She/ Her || Newly Awakened || Shy and Anxious Mess

(A light fury not THE Light Fury from the HTTYD 3 movie!)

I've been aware of both of my kintypes for about 12 years now. It does get complicated at times. Probably the biggest thing for me is that I have phantom limbs most of the time. Not always, but probably about 95% of the time anymore. Usually, that's my wolf's tail and ears, sometimes with the paws as well and occasionally the muzzle, with my gryphon's wings. Sometimes I get phantom talons or a phantom beak, and sometimes I don't have my wings. But a vast majority of the time, I'm basically a winged wolf, if one were to look only at my phantom limbs. So mine do coexist quite readily and overlap quite a bit.

As far as how to not get twisted up... I don't have much advice there. I do have one type who was sapient (my gryphon) and one who was not (my wolf), so that helps me a little with distinctions. I also have different urges and compulsions with the two.

But it just takes time to parse all of that out, quite honestly. It'll take time to settle with your newly found identity. It took me a long time with mine. I knew I liked heights and anything that felt like I was flying. And I was aware of my gryphon. But actually settling into it took a long time.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

I've been aware of both of my kintypes for about 12 years now. It does get complicated at times. Probably the biggest thing for me is that I have phantom limbs most of the time. Not always, but probably about 95% of the time anymore. Usually, that's my wolf's tail and ears, sometimes with the paws as well and occasionally the muzzle, with my gryphon's wings. Sometimes I get phantom talons or a phantom beak, and sometimes I don't have my wings. But a vast majority of the time, I'm basically a winged wolf, if one were to look only at my phantom limbs. So mine do coexist quite readily and overlap quite a bit.

As far as how to not get twisted up... I don't have much advice there. I do have one type who was sapient (my gryphon) and one who was not (my wolf), so that helps me a little with distinctions. I also have different urges and compulsions with the two.

But it just takes time to parse all of that out, quite honestly. It'll take time to settle with your newly found identity. It took me a long time with mine. I knew I liked heights and anything that felt like I was flying. And I was aware of my gryphon. But actually settling into it took a long time.

Thank you for the insight! Being new to the whole concept of 'otherkin' has been a lot to take in and finding out about this 2nd kintype throws me for loop two! I've been trying to take time and really just pay attention to myself and my feelings towards different aspects that could potentially connect to my kintypes and it's a slow process, but it's still process to me.

Was it ever frustrating to have multiple kintypes? Mostly in terms of how you feel others might perceive you, how you perceive yourself, or potential clashing aspects of your kintypes?

Light Fury\Shiny Tapu Koko || She/ Her || Newly Awakened || Shy and Anxious Mess

Thank you for the insight! Being new to the whole concept of 'otherkin' has been a lot to take in and finding out about this 2nd kintype throws me for loop two! I've been trying to take time and really just pay attention to myself and my feelings towards different aspects that could potentially connect to my kintypes and it's a slow process, but it's still process to me.

Was it ever frustrating to have multiple kintypes? Mostly in terms of how you feel others might perceive you, how you perceive yourself, or potential clashing aspects of your kintypes?

A bit frustrating, yeah. I know sometimes people with multiple kintypes aren't taken seriously. But I can't help what I am. I didn't choose to be a gryphon. Or a wolf. Or nonhuman at all, for that matter. So I think it's also kind of a matter of telling the people who say we aren't valid to fuck off. (At least mentally.)

I also, while I haven't ever felt that my kintypes clashed, necessarily, have at times wished I only had to deal with one. One is challenging enough, kthnx. Sometimes having to deal with two possible sets of phantom limbs and two possible frames of mind for m-shifts and two sets of memories and just two of everything gets confusing and awkward and overwhelming. And there's really nothing for it (at least that I've found) except to stick it out. You'll get a read on each one eventually.

I also, for a while, didn't understand how I could have two different kintypes. But I was also coming from a very different idea of what a therian was. So my thinking at the time was, "But if I'm a wolf soul stuck in a human body, how can I also be a gryphon?" It wasn't until I grasped the concept of kintypes coming from past lives that everything clicked for me. Honestly, though, I doubt there are any of us who aren't frustrated with the process at some point.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

A bit frustrating, yeah. I know sometimes people with multiple kintypes aren't taken seriously. But I can't help what I am. I didn't choose to be a gryphon. Or a wolf. Or nonhuman at all, for that matter. So I think it's also kind of a matter of telling the people who say we aren't valid to fuck off. (At least mentally.)

I also, while I haven't ever felt that my kintypes clashed, necessarily, have at times wished I only had to deal with one. One is challenging enough, kthnx. Sometimes having to deal with two possible sets of phantom limbs and two possible frames of mind for m-shifts and two sets of memories and just two of everything gets confusing and awkward and overwhelming. And there's really nothing for it (at least that I've found) except to stick it out. You'll get a read on each one eventually.

I also, for a while, didn't understand how I could have two different kintypes. But I was also coming from a very different idea of what a therian was. So my thinking at the time was, "But if I'm a wolf soul stuck in a human body, how can I also be a gryphon?" It wasn't until I grasped the concept of kintypes coming from past lives that everything clicked for me. Honestly, though, I doubt there are any of us who aren't frustrated with the process at some point.

Your feedback on this has been incredibly helpful and it's so nice to hear from other multi-kintypes (better term for this???). Thank you very much for taking the time to help out!

Hey !

First of all a quick "hey" here, first post, been reading for a couple of days also now.

I see the kin parts as parts of my personality that make "me" to "myself". And as it is with Ego-States, there can be more then one. Although I am aware of my kin-being for around 15 years now, I still feel I could dig so much deeper in this.

In my opinion, one of the biggest hurdles that sadly overcomes so many that cannot really connect with the topic is, that some try to "proof" things or try to view it objectivly. Not is this very likely to fail, as it is something utmost subjective, it also is the wrong approach that most of the time will lead to conflict.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds -- Bob Marley

Hey !

First of all a quick "hey" here, first post, been reading for a couple of days also now.

I see the kin parts as parts of my personality that make "me" to "myself". And as it is with Ego-States, there can be more then one. Although I am aware of my kin-being for around 15 years now, I still feel I could dig so much deeper in this.

In my opinion, one of the biggest hurdles that sadly overcomes so many that cannot really connect with the topic is, that some try to "proof" things or try to view it objectivly. Not is this very likely to fail, as it is something utmost subjective, it also is the wrong approach that most of the time will lead to conflict.

Hello there! Big thanks for taking the time to give some feedback!

I sometimes feel myself falling into the "Oh I have to prove that I am this or else it's not valid" mindset very frequently and it is indeed a major player to some destress I get over my kintypes. I'm trying to work more on that more so I can really enjoy being me better!

I'm also polykin that didn't want to have multiple kintypes. It can be weird when shifts intermingle. Sometimes M-shifts mix together. For example, there's a time when someone threw my school yearbook on my chair. Now I wouldn't touch this book with a 20-foot pole, M-shift or not. It contains a lot of faces that I'd rather forget. But I was in a Sunny M-shift at the time, and that book is the same color as Basil's photo album. So... I reacted to it like a frightened cat. First jumping away, then hissing at it, then slowly coming closer and swiping it off my chair and across the room. I later buried it.

But sometimes a caracal shift can cancel out a Sunny shift. Giving into my feline instincts means I only live in the present, so all of the phantom memories go away.

My head-image of myself has also become a bit weird since I awakened as Sunny. When I picture myself I'm just... Sunny but as an anthro caracal? (I should make a fursona out of that lol)

Because I still have my phantom features (ears, tail, whiskers) when I M-shift as Sunny, my Kel rep and I have started calling me 'catboy Sunny' as a joke.

So... having two kintypes is just chaotic confusion.

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

Oh I bet so! At the time, my kintypes feel kind of blurred together in places and very solid and different in others. I feel like discovering this new kintype has made things a little more hectic, but I still enjoy discovering and accepting it!

I too have experienced confusion, especially since two of my types are different kinds of mythical aquatic creatures (mermaid and nixie). I have learned that my nixie shifts go dormant during the winter and reawaken in the spring, however, which helped me be better able to distinguish between the two. I also almost always feel my cat ears, even when I'm mentally shifted as another type, so that's kind of amusing to me.

It honestly sucks to see the argument that an individual cannot have multiple kintypes. This stuff is involuntary, and it's already bad enough that we have to deal with untangling everything and figuring ourselves out. The added stress from feeling like we aren't nonhuman the "right" way is sooo unnecessary. I wish you the best of luck with navigating this issue, because I feel your pain.

• Like 1

"Wholly wounded, I imitate, I take shape."

polymorphic

I too have experienced confusion, especially since two of my types are different kinds of mythical aquatic creatures (mermaid and nixie). I have learned that my nixie shifts go dormant during the winter and reawaken in the spring, however, which helped me be better able to distinguish between the two. I also almost always feel my cat ears, even when I'm mentally shifted as another type, so that's kind of amusing to me.

It honestly sucks to see the argument that an individual cannot have multiple kintypes. This stuff is involuntary, and it's already bad enough that we have to deal with untangling everything and figuring ourselves out. The added stress from feeling like we aren't nonhuman the "right" way is sooo unnecessary. I wish you the best of luck with navigating this issue, because I feel your pain.

I agree. The argument of what is the "right way" to be non-human is often distressing to me and I've seen that some people don't consider those with multiple kintypes "actually non-human" and the same with those who are fictionkin of species from media or something of the like. It's often why I wish I was something other than what I am, but also I'm happy with what I am and I'm working to learn that other's opinions don't invalidate me.

• Like 2

I was also someone who didn't want multiple kintypes, but as you said, we can't choose these things. I was previously of the opinion that having multiple kintypes would decrease the 'validity' of my identity, but I've since found this is wrong and adjusted my way of thinking. After all, if someone can live multiple times and reincarnate as several different things, why can't they have multiple theriotypes or kintypes?

I actually lucked out in the fact that my kintypes go with each other. I believe both my kintypes existed together and ended up 'blended together' because they were soul-bonded in their previous lives. So they are from the same place and have a lot in common, but that doesn't mean they are without their differences. A big issue I am currently dealing with is the fact that I want to go vegan, both for ethical reasons and because I feel like it would help my elf kintype feel happier, if that makes sense. But my dragon kintype craves meat so strongly that it's very difficult for me to give up. I've tried three times, and next year I plan to try again. Eventually I'll find something that works.

For me, existing with two kintypes is really just about being adaptable. One will be more prominent than the other sometimes, and I go with the flow and do what I can to accommodate that in my life. In some way, I feel like both are always present, one will just be louder than the other at times. (I'm actually trying to determine if I am a vacillant elfkin or not right now, so that's fun.)

Being still new to navigating multiple kintypes myself, I don't have much more to offer than that, and solidarity. It can be difficult to juggle all this stuff and human life, but at least we're not alone in doing so.

the black sands
A multi-faceted being comprised of human & nonhuman facets.
Werewolf copinglink. 🐺  •  Otherhearted. 💕
they/them

I was also someone who didn't want multiple kintypes, but as you said, we can't choose these things. I was previously of the opinion that having multiple kintypes would decrease the 'validity' of my identity, but I've since found this is wrong and adjusted my way of thinking. After all, if someone can live multiple times and reincarnate as several different things, why can't they have multiple theriotypes or kintypes?

I actually lucked out in the fact that my kintypes go with each other. I believe both my kintypes existed together and ended up 'blended together' because they were soul-bonded in their previous lives. So they are from the same place and have a lot in common, but that doesn't mean they are without their differences. A big issue I am currently dealing with is the fact that I want to go vegan, both for ethical reasons and because I feel like it would help my elf kintype feel happier, if that makes sense. But my dragon kintype craves meat so strongly that it's very difficult for me to give up. I've tried three times, and next year I plan to try again. Eventually I'll find something that works.

For me, existing with two kintypes is really just about being adaptable. One will be more prominent than the other sometimes, and I go with the flow and do what I can to accommodate that in my life. In some way, I feel like both are always present, one will just be louder than the other at times. (I'm actually trying to determine if I am a vacillant elfkin or not right now, so that's fun.)

Being still new to navigating multiple kintypes myself, I don't have much more to offer than that, and solidarity. It can be difficult to juggle all this stuff and human life, but at least we're not alone in doing so.

I've slowly been developing a sense of organization between my two kintypes, even if it's just a little, haha! But having kintypes with two different diets certainly is a bit of a tricky thing to maneuver and I've certainly felt it with my two as well with one being strictly carnivorous (mostly fish) and the other leaning towards tropical fruits, nuts, and berries. I'm hoping to find some good common grounds with that one since I've always been a picky eater and meats are much easier for me to like than fruits and nuts.