What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

Sometimes when my mental health goes to crap I go through periods where I don't want to eat. But my body needs energy, so I find something I don't have to prepare for me to shove down my throat. I am currently tearing into a loaf of bread. What are your 'screw cooking' food stories?

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

the weirdest non edible thing , a styrofoam cup ( i like chewing on things and ate it on accident )

I actually did something pretty similar but instead of a styrofoam cup it was a googly eye

Please call me Ness, my partner is the only person allowed to call me Nessie.

I have those periods, too. My mental or physical health says no to cooking. On those days, nothing too outlandish, but I will often take cans of whole new potatoes and stick them in a pot with a more than generous amount of butter and more adobo than anybody should put on anything.

A spoonfull of mud. Oh, and natto.

I've had natto! It was an... experience. My host sister laughed at the face I made. But I'd say the strangest thing I've ever eaten was definitely rattlesnake jerky. Which is a whole story.

That was down South with my mother's family. My uncle had my twin cousins (his nephews) up at his farm. They were about 6 at the time. And one of them came running around the side of the barn asking if they could play with the snake. And of course the answer was no. So he goes to look, and there's this 4 foot eastern diamondback rattlesnake, curled up next to the barn, rattling away irritably. So, not really thinking about anything but the twin balls of chaos he had running around, he picked up a brick and threw it at the snake and crushed its skull.

Well, I've mentioned elsewhere that my mother's family are survival hunters. They were substance farmers for centuries and most of the meat they use still comes from the woods or their pastures, not the store. And they're very big on "use what you kill." So after putting the snake in the bed of his truck and bringing it down the hill to my aunt's house to scare the bejezus out of my mother (my sister and I, who were 8 and 12 respectively, were out picking blueberries in my aunt's fields and got a prime lesson on why grown-ups are a lie), he took it back home and made jerky out of it. He had killed it, even if he hadn't so much meant to kill the snake as protect his nephews, so he was going to use it. Hence rattlesnake jerky. Can't say it's something I'd eat again...

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

Well, I've mentioned elsewhere that my mother's family are survival hunters. They were substance farmers for centuries and most of the meat they use still comes from the woods or their pastures, not the store. And they're very big on "use what you kill." So after putting the snake in the bed of his truck and bringing it down the hill to my aunt's house to scare the bejezus out of my mother (my sister and I, who were 8 and 12 respectively, were out picking blueberries in my aunt's fields and got a prime lesson on why grown-ups are a lie), he took it back home and made jerky out of it. He had killed it, even if he hadn't so much meant to kill the snake as protect his nephews, so he was going to use it. Hence rattlesnake jerky. Can't say it's something I'd eat again...

Yooo, I've always wanted to eat a snake! I like trying out different kinds of meat, and caracals hunt snakes sometimes.

• Like 1

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

i was in the middle of a pb-j when i realised i used mayo instead of jelly...

I feel you on that one. I once poured gatorade into my cereal instead of milk. Gatorade. GATORADE. How does one even mess up that badly?

Yooo, I've always wanted to eat a snake! I like trying out different kinds of meat, and caracals hunt snakes sometimes.

I couldn't give you an exact description of the taste, as that was roughly 20 years ago, but I remember it tasting strange.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

I guess for edible things, spaghetti I dipped in green tea until it was cooked enough to be squiggly?

Green tea?

I guess for edible things, spaghetti I dipped in green tea until it was cooked enough to be squiggly? And for non-edible things, a handful of pine needles

Spaghe-tea... What do pine needles taste like?

Rowan

Spaghe-tea... What do pine needles taste like?

A little bit sour, astringent, I suppose? They make your mouth kind of dry but do have some juice in them, and can be a bit bitter, too. They definitely give off the “plant you shouldn’t be eating” taste, if that makes sense. I eat a lot of random plants, so I’m kind of familiar with that taste lol.

And a spaghe-tea joke is literally why I decided to do that lol. It was surprisingly okay tasting, but made the tea have a gross consistency so I wouldn’t do that to a random cup of tea again.

Sometimes when my mental health goes to crap I go through periods where I don't want to eat. But my body needs energy, so I find something I don't have to prepare for me to shove down my throat. I am currently tearing into a loaf of bread. What are your 'screw cooking' food stories?

i have eaten these japanese snacks called shrimp sticks

i have eaten these japanese snacks called shrimp sticks

Those sound good.

I ate popcorn and jelly at the same time. I was just bored.

I also had a cup of soda that was just 7 different soda types combined, including orange, lemonade, cola, raspberry, all that kind of stuff. It tasted like Froot-Loops. Again, I was bored.

Ghost-Dragonkin | Snakehearted

I am immortal until proven otherwise.

I use tone tags!

Untitled_06-21-2022_06-58-38.gif