How does one intentionally dream shift?

Question

I only get dream shifts from my fictotype (which makes sense) and they're completely unprovoked. The thing is, I want to have a caracal dream shift, but those just don't happen. Is there any way I can increase my chances?

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

7 answers to this question

I wish I could help you here, but I don't even know how I do it myself. For me being wolf in dreams feels just as natural as being human in the waking world.

Maybe you could try looking at some media on caracals or try daydreaming before drifting off to sleep.

I'm also curious about this. I would love to learn how to lucid dream. It'd be really nice to be able to be myself at least in my dreams. And I'd love to see if I could learn anything else about my home from my gryphon past life.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

I listen to sounds from my natural habitats to influence me to shift in my dreams. That's what works for me.

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Pansexual, genderfluid, demisexual

I naturally lucid dream, so not really sure how to provoke lucid dreams for those who don't naturally do so, but one thing I do know is that keeping a dream journal tends to help a lot of folks. I've done so at some point, and I do remember it helping lucid dreams happen more often, so I recommend that. On top of that it's worth looking up dream checks that you can do. A couple that I know work:

• The classic "pinch" trick (essentially pinching yourself to see if it feels "off". If it does, you're in a dream.)
  • Reading text/clocks, looking away and looking back. If it's changed, or is unintelligible, you're in a dream.

From there on you may be in more control of the outcome of your dream. But I recommend taking small steps first, before diving right into intentionally changing form. If you do too much you become fully conscious and wake up. Lucid dreaming is quite difficult if you try too much at once, and it takes training up to it.

• Like 1

Red Fox Therian | Mooglekin | Sylveonkin | System full of fictives

Foxcore: She/Her (Headmates' pronouns are varied)

Musician, furry artist, fan of trash movies and rhythm games

I also did / do some of the stuff that [uSER=58230]@Foxcore[/uSER] mentiones. Another helpfull factor is to set an alarm clock to 3am or 4am (aorund that time) so that you wake up. Then try to stay awake for 15 - 30min with focus on lucid dreaming. Usually, you'll fall into a REM sleep phase, where the likelihood of lucidity is increased.

I tried it couple of times and it worked maybe every 5th time or so ( Lately I got more and more out of it, because of getting up in the morning). At the beginning, I tried to do change my surroundings, which did not work. Then I tried walk through solid doors. I've run to it, but all then happened was that it threw me back like rubber. Also pushing myself through the ground did not work. Flying however worked from the start on.

The more I had lucid dreams, the more things worked, like I'm able to slip through walls etc., so I guess the training is not only to gain consciousness in a dream, but also to alter the stage the dream offers. Shapeshifting never worked voluntarily, I've tried it one or two times, only works involuntarily (so far).

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds -- Bob Marley

Heck I can't even make myself wear clothes in public all the time.

Flying seems to be the closest I get and it's more like floating with a purpose than actually using wings and air currents. So, um, I don't know.

Red Tailed Hawk Therian / Polymorph / Spirit Being / Anthro Hawk / Deitykin

Shard of Heru AKA Horus

Posted (edited)

floating with a purpose

Excuse me while I steal that quote-

[automerge]1651545729[/automerge]

Also, to clear some things up with this thread, I'm not looking to lucid dream specifically. My dream shifts typically aren't lucid, It's just like I'm experiencing an extended flashback. And I doubt I could shift even if I was in a lucid dream, because I'm never aware that I'm in a lucid dream. My moments of lucidity don't last long; they only happen when I've received whatever message I'm going to receive and need to get out because it's terrifying. Only then do I telekinetically bust open walls and Thanos-snap a supercell.

Edited by Hikiko

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~