Phantom Limbs question

Question

So, I always feel like I have phantom ears and a phantom tail. How would I be classified if I feel like I always have phantom limbs?

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Pansexual, genderfluid, demisexual

5 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure there are other therians/otherkin on this forum that always feel their phantom limbs as well, so it seems to be a known experience. As for what that makes you, no one else can 100% diagnose you as therian/otherkin; it's ultimately up to you to decide how you feel yourself. But if you feel that you are a wolf and a fox, and have constant experience with limbs to go along with it, that does sound like being therian/otherkin to me. But again it's ultimately up to you how you feel.

Red Fox Therian | Mooglekin | Sylveonkin | System full of fictives

Foxcore: She/Her (Headmates' pronouns are varied)

Musician, furry artist, fan of trash movies and rhythm games

I'm pretty sure there are other therians/otherkin on this forum that always feel their phantom limbs as well, so it seems to be a known experience. As for what that makes you, no one can 100% diagnose you as anything; it's ultimately up to you to decide how you feel yourself. But if you feel that you are a wolf and a fox, and have constant experience with limbs to go along with it, that does sound like being therian/otherkin to me. But again it's ultimately up to you how you feel.

Oh okay, thank you!

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Pansexual, genderfluid, demisexual

Oh okay, thank you!

No problem! It's also important to take your time with things like this; see what other folks say about their experiences, see where you can relate, see where you don't necessarily relate (it's important to know that not everyone experiences nonhumanity the same), and to form your own conclusions. Heck, I'm still learning about myself, and I've been here a month. Others have known about their otherkin identity for years and are still finding new things about themselves.

Red Fox Therian | Mooglekin | Sylveonkin | System full of fictives

Foxcore: She/Her (Headmates' pronouns are varied)

Musician, furry artist, fan of trash movies and rhythm games

To echo [uSER=58230]@Foxcore[/uSER], there's no one thing that "proves" you're a therian or otherkin. Some of us have an entire phantom form all the time, some of us never experience phantom limbs. Some of us remember everything from our past lives, some of us don't have any memories or don't have past lives  to remember. Some of us are always in some level of mental shift, some of us never experience the mindset of our kintype. Some of us don't shift at all in any way. For some of us, it's just something we  know. We can't necessarily explain it, we just know we're not human. How you classify yourself is a very personal decision and entirely up to you. But if you  are a wolf and a fox, ears and tail or not, even if you "just knew" and there was nothing more too it, if you are a wolf, if you are a fox, then the therian label fits. If that's what you feel you are, then that's what you are.

That said, I also experience phantom limbs about 98~99% of the time. I usually have ears from one of my types, they all have pretty similar ears. Usually a tail from one of my wolves. And I seem to almost always have my gryphon's wings. Sometimes I'll feel a muzzle or, more rarely, a beak. Sometimes I feel like I have paws instead of feet and/or paws or talons instead of hands. It makes being upright a bit awkward at times. Likewise, it affects how I move. I've gestured with my wings before, forgetting no one can see them, I've spread my wings and had the urge to rear back on my hind paws so that my talons are free when I'm startled or angry, and at times I catch myself walking on my toes. That's one of the main reasons I have house slippers for summer as well as winter. (That, and one of my cats likes to paw the water dish and slop water everywhere.) It's harder for me to forget how this body is supposed to walk if I have shoes on. And of course my ears react to things. Swiveling to catch sounds, expressing anger or sorrow or joy, anything a wolf's ears normally do.

I've been aware I had at least 1 wolf theriotype since 2007~2008 and I've been aware of my gryphon since about 2010, so it's been about 15 years since my awakening. But, also as [uSER=58230]@Foxcore[/uSER] said, I'm still learning. It wasn't until recently that I figured out that the wild disparities in my wolf memories were because I had two wolf theriotypes, not one. And I identified the African golden wolf so recently it still seems a little strange calling myself that. The timber wolf was fairly easy for me, as I was familiar with the biome. But golden wolves weren't classified as wolves until 2015 and I was working with my memory of wolf habitats from 2008. Which also serves as a lesson to be open to what you don't think you are. I dismissed golden jackals as a whole based on the Eurasian golden jackal. Which is actually a jackal. If I had paid more attention, I might have realized I was an African golden jackal. Which are, in fact, wolves, not jackals. As discovered by genetic research in 2015.

TL;DR, because I'm long-winded, if you know yourself to be a wolf and/or a fox, the therian (or otherkin or alterhuman) label is yours should you choose to claim it. And it doesn't matter if you shift or not, or if your have memories or not. If you know yourself to be a wolf and/or a fox, the therian label is yours should you choose to claim it. And it's okay to still be figuring things out. Especially now. You're young, you're still learning. About both the community and yourself. But it's also okay if you're still learning 10 or 20 or more years down the line. There's no time limit. Just keep an open mind about continuing to learn about yourself and you can't really go wrong.

• Like 1

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

There have been a few people who have proposed classifications for different types of phantom shifting, but none of those have really caught on. So there isn't really any classification concerning how often you have phantom limbs.
  • Like 1

Red Tailed Hawk Therian / Polymorph / Spirit Being / Anthro Hawk / Deitykin

Shard of Heru AKA Horus