Original species and hybrids

Question

Posted (edited)
I'm starting to also identify as a KittyDog, which is a original hybrid species created by kittydog on YouTube. Is that an acceptable kintype? Edited by Radiant_Day

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Pansexual, genderfluid, demisexual

4 answers to this question

Is that an acceptable kin?

Firstly, the correct term is "kintype," not "kin." "Kin" on its own is typically associated with those that kin for fun or call themselves "kinnies", both of which are not Otherkin because they choose who their "kins" are, which is not how it works.

However, to answer this question removed from this specific context, yes, it is. Anything is an acceptable kintype as long as you identify AS it, not with it, and that that choice is subconsciously made, aka you didn't choose it. Beyond those requirements, anything could be a kintype, really. In practice, though, it is a lot more complicated. What is your explanation for the kintype, psychological or spiritual? How did you know it is that thing over this other thing? Do you have shifts, memories, instincts, etc that point towards that thing over this other thing? While anything can be a kintype, it is harder to "prove" that you are that thing through your experiences. I theorize this is why we don't see many insects in the Otherkin community as if you were to have shifts of the phantom limbs and the mental capacity of that insect would be so alien to our human brains.

But to put this question back into context: while, yes, you can be a Kittydog, why are you that? What about this creature makes you say you are it over anything else? Doing a quick google search I found this, so I am going to assume that it is what you are talking about. Looking over the creature it appears to two sets of ears (one short and one long), a long furry tail, and a mixture of feline and canine traits (I'm assuming that's why it's called a Kittydog). What part of those characteristics feels natural and like it is you? Is it the long set of ears? That could be a rabbit instead. Is it the smaller ears? It could be a feline instead. The tail? Could be a cat, or it also does appear a bit like a raccoon or red panda tail.

Your two kintypes right now are a wolf and a fox, could it be just those two kintypes overlapping in a weird way? Foxes are the felines of the canine worlds.

Is it the aesthetic? Not everything you identify as is a kintype. For example, I identify as cottagecore. Would that make me a cottagecorekin? No, it's my fashion sense and I identify through my fashion. I am a leftist politically, does that make me communismkin? No, obviously. If you identify as or with this character because of the aesthetic, then try exploring your own outward fashion and aesthetic identity.

Lastly, could it just be because you are a fan of the artist? Often online we aren't just fans of something or someone. We are constantly and completely engrossed with what we like, with it sometimes even becoming our entire identity. I mean, look at BTS fans! We can identify with the creators that we love and feel impacted by their content, maybe even identify with the characters they produce and the stories they tell, but that doesn't make it a kintype. Especially when you're younger and new to the Otherkin scene, there might be some pressure to label any sort of identifying with or as something as it being Otherkin related. Trust me, I know. I began my Otherkin journey when I was 13, too.

So to answer your question: yes, you could be a kittydog. Could be. Take some more time to look it over and analyze. You don't need to label every sort of connection or identity as Alterhuman.

Pigeon | Xe/they/he | 19

Polymorph | Chaote | Draconic Witch | Norse Pagan

https://polymorphkin.carrd.co/

Firstly, the correct term is "kintype," not "kin." "Kin" on its own is typically associated with those that kin for fun or call themselves "kinnies", both of which are not Otherkin because they choose who their "kins" are, which is not how it works.

However, to answer this question removed from this specific context, yes, it is. Anything is an acceptable kintype as long as you identify AS it, not with it, and that that choice is subconsciously made, aka you didn't choose it. Beyond those requirements, anything could be a kintype, really. In practice, though, it is a lot more complicated. What is your explanation for the kintype, psychological or spiritual? How did you know it is that thing over this other thing? Do you have shifts, memories, instincts, etc that point towards that thing over this other thing? While anything can be a kintype, it is harder to "prove" that you are that thing through your experiences. I theorize this is why we don't see many insects in the Otherkin community as if you were to have shifts of the phantom limbs and the mental capacity of that insect would be so alien to our human brains.

But to put this question back into context: while, yes, you can be a Kittydog, why are you that? What about this creature makes you say you are it over anything else? Doing a quick google search I found this, so I am going to assume that it is what you are talking about. Looking over the creature it appears to two sets of ears (one short and one long), a long furry tail, and a mixture of feline and canine traits (I'm assuming that's why it's called a Kittydog). What part of those characteristics feels natural and like it is you? Is it the long set of ears? That could be a rabbit instead. Is it the smaller ears? It could be a feline instead. The tail? Could be a cat, or it also does appear a bit like a raccoon or red panda tail.

Your two kintypes right now are a wolf and a fox, could it be just those two kintypes overlapping in a weird way? Foxes are the felines of the canine worlds.

Is it the aesthetic? Not everything you identify as is a kintype. For example, I identify as cottagecore. Would that make me a cottagecorekin? No, it's my fashion sense and I identify through my fashion. I am a leftist politically, does that make me communismkin? No, obviously. If you identify as or with this character because of the aesthetic, then try exploring your own outward fashion and aesthetic identity.

Lastly, could it just be because you are a fan of the artist? Often online we aren't just fans of something or someone. We are constantly and completely engrossed with what we like, with it sometimes even becoming our entire identity. I mean, look at BTS fans! We can identify with the creators that we love and feel impacted by their content, maybe even identify with the characters they produce and the stories they tell, but that doesn't make it a kintype. Especially when you're younger and new to the Otherkin scene, there might be some pressure to label any sort of identifying with or as something as it being Otherkin related. Trust me, I know. I began my Otherkin journey when I was 13, too.

So to answer your question: yes, you could be a kittydog. Could be. Take some more time to look it over and analyze. You don't need to label every sort of connection or identity as Alterhuman.

First of, sorry for saying kin instead of kintype. I fixed that. Also, I remember having two sets of ears. I am a fan of the artist and really like the species, I mistaken that for an identity. I'm sorry, I'm new, I can barley understand my feelings (I have several mental disorders such as asperegers and bipolar 1), and I'm exploring my identity. Also, yes that is the kittydog species.

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Pansexual, genderfluid, demisexual