Help with my kintype

Question

I haven't been feeling like my kintypes, I have been very disconnected with my theriotypes and I need help. I don't know what I am. Any ways I can find out about my actual kintypes?

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Pansexual, genderfluid, demisexual

7 answers to this question

It's worth exploring how you feel in terms of what animal characteristics you feel you have, and looking up to see what sorts of animal(s) share similar characteristics. You mentioned in another thread that you feel as if you constantly have phantom limbs. I'd start by exploring how those feel, to the finest details. For example, if you have a tail, try feeling for how long it is, what kind of fur (or scales, or whatever) it feels like you have when ph-shifting, etc.. Same also goes for mental shifts if you have those, try figuring out what your animalistic instincts are. After narrowing down how your characteristics are, try looking up animals that have these same features, see if they resonate with you. I've seen some folks here discover they have theriotypes that they weren't super familiar with before looking things up, it's possible that may be the case here.

It's worth noting that these things take time. I went years and years kinda feeling like I am a fox until ultimately looking up otherkin and therianthropy and finding out that a lot of my experiences lined up with it (phantom shifts, strong urges to act fox-like, etc.). A lot of folks take a long while before forming a complete idea of what their kintype(s) is/are, it's worth being patient and doing research.

Red Fox Therian | Mooglekin | Sylveonkin | System full of fictives

Foxcore: She/Her (Headmates' pronouns are varied)

Musician, furry artist, fan of trash movies and rhythm games

It's worth exploring how you feel in terms of what animal characteristics you feel you have, and looking up to see what sorts of animal(s) share similar characteristics. You mentioned in another thread that you feel as if you constantly have phantom limbs. I'd start by exploring how those feel, to the finest details. For example, if you have a tail, try feeling for how long it is, what kind of fur (or scales, or whatever) it feels like you have when ph-shifting, etc.. Same also goes for mental shifts if you have those, try figuring out what your animalistic instincts are. After narrowing down how your characteristics are, try looking up animals that have these same features, see if they resonate with you. I've seen some folks here discover they have theriotypes that they weren't super familiar with before looking things up, it's possible that may be the case here.

It's worth noting that these things take time. I went years and years kinda feeling like I am a fox until ultimately looking up otherkin and therianthropy and finding out that a lot of my experiences lined up with it (phantom shifts, strong urges to act fox-like, etc.). A lot of folks take a long while before forming a complete idea of what their kintype(s) is/are, it's worth being patient and doing research.

Thank you soo much! I'll definitely be doing those things! Thank you for helping me out!

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Thank you soo much! I'll definitely be doing those things! Thank you for helping me out!

No problem, glad to be of help! Another thing to keep in mind is that it's all about how you identify yourself. Otherkin/therianthropy isn't about trying to diagnose yourself as a specific thing, it's more about discovering who you are on the inside. And sometimes one's perception of that changes with time and experience, and that's okay. What's ultimately most important is that your identity feels right to you.

Red Fox Therian | Mooglekin | Sylveonkin | System full of fictives

Foxcore: She/Her (Headmates' pronouns are varied)

Musician, furry artist, fan of trash movies and rhythm games

Have you looked into other canines besides wolves and foxes?

[ATTACH type=full]5527[/ATTACH]

Here's a diagram.

• Like 1

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

My suggestion would be basically what [uSER=58140]@CaraKin[/uSER] suggestion. It seems like you've pretty well established you're a canid, so that narrows it down at least that much. Since you did initially identify your theriotypes as a wolf and a fox, you could maybe start by looking at the Canina subtribe (wolf-like canids, including all species of wolves) and the Vulpini tribe (fox-like canids, including all "true foxes"). There's also the Cerdocyonina subtribe, which is sort of between Canina and Vulpini. There are some species of foxes, such as the grey fox* and the crab eating fox, in that subtribe.

I know that's a lot of things and a lot of species to search through. But breaking it up that way - into tribes and subtribes - may make it less overwhelming. Maybe just start broad, see what direction that takes you, and start looking at factors like behavior, habitat, dietary habits, that sort of thing. If you find something that seems like it might be right, you might try to find some photos or videos of it, to see if that sparks anything. (Not necessarily memories, but just that "That's me!" feeling.) Just take your time, be patient, be open, and you'll figure it out.

*(I did see your thread about the kittydog. Out of curiosity, have you looked at grey foxes at all? Because they're even more catlike than most foxes, and true foxes are already the cats of the canid family. It's just a thought and kittydog is a perfectly valid kin type, just wanted to throw that out there.)

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

My suggestion would be basically what [uSER=58140]@CaraKin[/uSER] suggestion. It seems like you've pretty well established you're a canid, so that narrows it down at least that much. Since you did initially identify your theriotypes as a wolf and a fox, you could maybe start by looking at the Canina subtribe (wolf-like canids, including all species of wolves) and the Vulpini tribe (fox-like canids, including all "true foxes"). There's also the Cerdocyonina subtribe, which is sort of between Canina and Vulpini. There are some species of foxes, such as the grey fox* and the crab eating fox, in that subtribe.

I know that's a lot of things and a lot of species to search through. But breaking it up that way - into tribes and subtribes - may make it less overwhelming. Maybe just start broad, see what direction that takes you, and start looking at factors like behavior, habitat, dietary habits, that sort of thing. If you find something that seems like it might be right, you might try to find some photos or videos of it, to see if that sparks anything. (Not necessarily memories, but just that "That's me!" feeling.) Just take your time, be patient, be open, and you'll figure it out.

*(I did see your thread about the kittydog. Out of curiosity, have you looked at grey foxes at all? Because they're even more catlike than most foxes, and true foxes are already the cats of the canid family. It's just a thought and kittydog is a perfectly valid kin type, just wanted to throw that out there.)

Okay, I'll check that out after school or in the morning, thank you!

They/it/him

It's not necessary to be super connected to your theriotypes all the time. Sometimes they just take a backseat for awhile. If you found the right one, it will still be there later, whether you want it to be or not.

There's no rush to pin it down. It will take time to separate what sticks from what doesn't.

• Like 1

Red Tailed Hawk Therian / Polymorph / Spirit Being / Anthro Hawk / Deitykin

Shard of Heru AKA Horus