The gardening thread

Posted (edited)

Are there any other gardeners here? I'm a complete and total noob, but I've gotten two sprouts in less that 72 hours! That's very reassuring considering I've never grown anything from seed.

[ATTACH type=full]5524[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH type=full]5525[/ATTACH]

I didn't know marigolds made little buds like that :0

[automerge]1652053840[/automerge]

Mk so let's take stock-

8 wildflowers (3 species)

4 marigolds

1 pincushion cactus

2 lily-of-the-vallies

-1 monkey puzzle

-More basil than I really know what to do with

-1 sunflower (It sprouted on Mother's Day and it's my mom's favorite species!)

-1 western columbine

Yep... in a week I went from 1 plant to 16, plus god-knows-how-many basil sprouts. Those tomatoes had better taste really damn good with so many of its favorite companion plant nearby.

Edited by Hikiko
  • Like 1

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

• 1 month later...

Are there any other gardeners here? I'm a complete and total noob, but I've gotten two sprouts in less that 72 hours! That's very reassuring considering I've never grown anything from seed.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="IMG_20220503_182024~2.jpg]5524[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH type=full" alt="PXL_20220504_012053507.jpg]5525[/ATTACH]

I didn't know marigolds made little buds like that :0

[automerge]1652053840[/automerge]

Mk so let's take stock-

8 wildflowers (3 species)

4 marigolds

1 pincushion cactus

2 lily-of-the-vallies

-1 monkey puzzle

-More basil than I really know what to do with

-1 sunflower (It sprouted on Mother's Day and it's my mom's favorite species!)

-1 western columbine

Yep... in a week I went from 1 plant to 16, plus god-knows-how-many basil sprouts. Those tomatoes had better taste really damn good with so many of its favorite companion plant nearby.

Aw I love gardening! This year I only have my roses and lillies since we are about to move, but I can't wait to start my indoor herbs over again and have a proper veggie plot next spring. Marigold is really such a lovely plant to keep around; you can make a wonderful balm or lotion from the petals.

Marigold is really such a lovely plant to keep around; you can make a wonderful balm or lotion from the petals.

Interesting! I might make some marigold lotion if there's excess flowers. I've only got three marigold plants and they're my front lines of pest control since they deter wasps and draw insects away from my vulnerable tomato and cucumber seedlings.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

I tried planting marigolds once, but the pot I put them in was too shallow and they died. I had success with radishes and chamomile, though, and am currently keeping an aloe.

Clementine the RainWing

“I neither know nor think I know” -Socrates

I tried planting marigolds once, but the pot I put them in was too shallow and they died. I had success with radishes and chamomile, though, and am currently keeping an aloe.

Yeah, when marigolds decide to grow, they grow q u i c k. And one of mine has a mutation that makes it produce more leaves than normal which means it would have to grow a deeper root system to compensate for the weight.