Polymorph

Question

So, I have been watching and doing research about why I don't have a set kintype, so I shift and I get different animalistic behaviors but it still feels the same intensity. I found out about the term "Polymorph". Is that the correct term for not having no set kintype but still feel the same intensity when shifting occurs?

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Pansexual, genderfluid, demisexual

6 answers to this question

It's probably too soon to jump onto that term. There is something called a cameo shift, which can happen to anyone. It means that you can shift into something that is not your usual kintype. It's usually temporary, but it can feel just as strong as a regular kintype shift.

In my opinion, "polymorph" is not a kintype in itself, although people often talk about it as if it is. It is an attribute that some kintypes have. Some kintypes have the ability to change their shape. My kintype isn't "polymorph" it's closer to spirit-being. I'm a spirit that can change my shape. Some fae can do this. Maybe some alien or even technological types can too. Simply stopping at "polymorph" runs the risk of failing to uncover the deeper story.

Personally, I get the impression that you're still uncertain about what your kintype might be and are trying different things out to see what fits. That is a legitimate way to explore the idea. As I've said before, don't be in such a rush. Maybe you are a polymorphic being, but maybe you just haven't found the right thing yet. Or maybe you lack confidence in the types you have already discovered.

• Like 1

Red Tailed Hawk Therian / Polymorph / Spirit Being / Anthro Hawk / Deitykin

Shard of Heru AKA Horus

It's probably too soon to jump onto that term. There is something called a cameo shift, which can happen to anyone. It means that you can shift into something that is not your usual kintype. It's usually temporary, but it can feel just as strong as a regular kintype shift.

In my opinion, "polymorph" is not a kintype in itself, although people often talk about it as if it is. It is an attribute that some kintypes have. Some kintypes have the ability to change their shape. My kintype isn't "polymorph" it's closer to spirit-being. I'm a spirit that can change my shape. Some fae can do this. Maybe some alien or even technological types can too. Simply stopping at "polymorph" runs the risk of failing to uncover the deeper story.

Personally, I get the impression that you're still uncertain about what your kintype might be and are trying different things out to see what fits. That is a legitimate way to explore the idea. As I've said before, don't be in such a rush. Maybe you are a polymorphic being, but maybe you just haven't found the right thing yet. Or maybe you lack confidence in the types you have already discovered.

Oh okay, I'll check out some documentarys of regular shifts I have. That being canines. I'm very canine like but I haven't found any canines that I can relate to or that I see in my dreams. Plus whenever I see them in my dreams, they are usually black with no outlines. Is that normal?

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Don't worry too hard about what is normal and what isn't. Very few of us here are normal.

Have you read up on the black dog myths? Maybe it isn't a regular canine species but something else. Keep your options open.

Red Tailed Hawk Therian / Polymorph / Spirit Being / Anthro Hawk / Deitykin

Shard of Heru AKA Horus

Don't worry too hard about what is normal and what isn't. Very few of us here are normal.

Have you read up on the black dog myths? Maybe it isn't a regular canine species but something else. Keep your options open.

Haven't heard of It! Seems interesting, I'll look into it! Thank you!

They/it/him

Hi there, polymorph here!

Over on my blog, I posted about my Otherkin identity, including what being a polymorph is like for me, if you want to check it out.

Beyond that, to answer your question real fast:

Is that the correct term for not having no set kintype

While this could be applied to polymorphs, there is a range of other identities it could be but overall this isn't the definition of a polymorph.

A polymorph is a creature with no set base form that is able to shapeshift. By no base form I mean we have nothing we default back to when we don't shift. For example, a werewolf turns back into its base form of a human. A changeling can shift into many things but eventually returns to its original fae form. A polymorph does not have that. I wrote about this in-depth there on my Tumblr. So, you could just be a shapeshifter. A polymorph is a kind of shapeshifter but not all shapeshifters are polymorphs.

However, going beyond a single identity to rule them all as polymorphs do, you could be a few other things. First off is a cladeo-therian, or a therian whose theriotypes is the whole clade of animals instead of a single species. For example, a caninae cladeo-therian is a therian who identifies as all animals underneath the category of caninae or canines. So if you feel your shifts are all canines or all of one clade or another, you could be cladeo-therian.

Another thing it could be is cameo shifts. Cameo shifting is any kind of shifts you get that aren't of a kintype. Hypothetically, you could have phantom wings 24/7 but it just be a cameo shift because you have no winged kintypes. If you feel like you have no set kintype because of shifts, this could be the reason why.

Lastly, it could just be that this is a confusing experience. Just because something is confusing doesn't mean its complex, its just hard to figure out at this time. It took me years to figure out I was a polymorph, so don't stress figuring it out all now.

• Like 1

Pigeon | Xe/they/he | 19

Polymorph | Chaote | Draconic Witch | Norse Pagan

https://polymorphkin.carrd.co/

Haven't heard of It! Seems interesting, I'll look into it! Thank you!

Black dogs are folkloric creatures primarily from the British Isles. They tend to be associated with the Fae, but not always. ("Not always" is gonna be a phrase that comes up a lot with black dogs.) The one thing they always are is dogs. Or at least, that's always a form they have. Most of them are black, but some are grey or white or green. Some of them are always dogs, while others shapeshift. What they shapeshift into depends on the specific black dog. In some cases it's a horse, or a mule, or a bird, or a woman. Most of them are death omens. Some simply foretell a death, while others cause it. But there are one or two who are benevolent. They're fascinating and varied creatures and there are a  lot of them.

The internet is a good starting point for research. Wikipedia is not a source I generally recommend for in depth research, but it can be a good place to get names to google and to find resources (see the works cited at the bottoms of the pages) to do further research. The work of folklorist Jack Santino might be of help, also, if you start trying to get into specifics. He was one of my college professors and has written extensively about both the folklore of death (which overlaps with these guys usually being death omens) as well as the folklore of Northern Ireland (where many of these creatures are found), and to a lesser extent about Irish fairy lore (mostly in conjunction with folklore of Northern Ireland). He's very well respected in the field, and his works cited are also going to be a good and reliable place to find resources. I don't know that any of that will even end up being relevant, but hey. Resources.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir