Shifts

Question

How does it feel like to shift? I was wondering because I want to know what it feels like and what happens when you shift.

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Pansexual, genderfluid, demisexual

6 answers to this question

It depends on the shift really. All of this is my personal experience of course.

For phantom shifts, it's sort of like you're going about your day and you reach for your coke on the counter and instead flinch because you think you accidently bumped it over with your wings. Or you're at work and try to put your hair behind your ear but you overshoot it because your ears feel long and pointed, so you have to play it off like you didn't just think you were putting your hair behind elf ears. Or you decide to go to the pull, jump in, and flop around in the water trying to get that dang tail of yours to work before realizing.

Then for something like mental shifts, where you are shifting your entire perception and thought process, you don't really realize it's happening until too late. One of my most intense mental shifts was in middle school while I was doing theatre and had a dragon shift, making me stalk up and down the wings of the stage on my toes to mimic digitigrade legs, not realizing what I was doing until my cue came up and I had to scurry out. It's like a weird trance or hypnosis for me.

My favorite shift, however, is the seldom talked about aura shift, where your energetic body changes to become your kintype. Because your energetic body changes, so does the rest of you. It isn't just that your aura changes shape, every part of it changes. So it really becomes a hodge-podge of every shift as you try to navigate it. Might just be a polymorph thing, but it's the best.

• Like 1

Pigeon | Xe/they/he | 19

Polymorph | Chaote | Draconic Witch | Norse Pagan

https://polymorphkin.carrd.co/

The kind I get most often are phantom shifts. I pretty much always have phantom limbs, namely a wolf's ears and tail and my gryphon's wings. It feels like they're physically present, even though they aren't. They don't interact with the real world, they just feel very real. And I do react with them. For example, my ears swiveling to catch sounds or moving to express emotions or spreading my wings when I'm startled. Sometimes I feel like I won't fit in certain spaces because of my wings. When I'm working at the haunted house, I have to keep my wings tucked in tight, as I'm often in small spaces.

I do get mental shifts occasionally. Generally, these are for one of my wolves. I feel like my entire perception of the world changes. I'm much more keenly aware of my surroundings. It's like a hyperawareness, usually. I'm constantly looking for threats or prey and I'm much less reliant on sight. The one exception is if I'm just rolling around on the floor with my cats. Then I'm not really focused on anything, but any sort of unusual noise will bring me back to that very alert state.

• Like 2

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

i get a really big shift in mindset first! afaik, existence is perception, so a lot of my shifts relate to that! the relationship between myself, others, spirituality, and the world around me will be different and i'll have different viewpoints, understandings, and feelings while still being the same person! : ) my body feels like it's being shaped in a way it's not supposed to naturally, but it's not painful or anything! it's just like... oh hey that's not supposed to be like that.. but it is! ok! I don't get phantom limbs often, but when i do i'm incredibly aware haha! it's like really apparent to me that now i have a tail with a distinct border around it r smthn that i need to compensate for!

ghoul - he/him + he/she alt - 18

ghoulway.carrd.co

I'm going to pull a wild card here and mention a weird phantom shift I have involving my kintype. Since I was rubberhose toon in my previous life, I can feel phantom objects that I pull from behind my back. Nothing is there of course but ,I still feel the weight behind the object in question.

Hammerspace for the win, I guess.

Also I found that for me personally I could be exhausted and then a mental shift comes in and I'm ridiculously full of energy.

As for astral shifts I'm kind of just like myself there.

Tl;dr shifts are weird

• Like 2
Julius the cat , the eldest Disney toon

Since I was rubberhose toon in my previous life, I can feel phantom objects that I pull from behind my back.

Out of curiousity, what is a rubberhose toon? I've just never heard that term before.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir