Hybrids

Question

I was curious and wondered, are hybrids of species that can't hybridized (example wolf and cat) part of the otherkin community?

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Pansexual, genderfluid, demisexual

7 answers to this question

Hypothetically, yes. But I feel like that would lean more toward fictionkin than therianthropy.
  • Like 1

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

Hypothetically, yes. But I feel like that would lean more toward fictionkin than therianthropy.

It technically would be therianthropy if they want to use the label. Therianthropy isn't specifically real living animals. But I feel like we all have our different views on it. They can use the label if they want since it does technically fit.

• Like 1

"they call him hermit the frog, hes looking for a dog. did you find your b!tch in me? your an abomination socially.."

she/her

It might fit under fictotherian, but that's just my two cents. Therianthropy is  usually real animals that do now or did at some point exist on this planet. Fictotherian specifically would be a fictional animal that either is of a species that does not now and did not at any point exist on this planet or an animal that, while of a real species, is a specific character or comes from a specific fictional universe. @Jeb_CC put together a really good flow chart on this subject.

(Sorry, I'm really tired and probably not explaining well.)

• Like 1

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

It might fit under fictotherian, but that's just my two cents. Therianthropy is  usually real animals that do now or did at some point exist on this planet. Fictotherian specifically would be a fictional animal that either is of a species that does not now and did not at any point exist on this planet or an animal that, while of a real species, is a specific character or comes from a specific fictional universe. @Jeb_CC put together a really good flow chart on this subject.

(Sorry, I'm really tired and probably not explaining well.)

That does make sense, yes. I kinda forget about the term lol.

[automerge]1652225158[/automerge]

That does make sense, yes. I kinda forget about the term lol.

(Though once I met a therian who identified as a warriors character and didn't use the label fictotherian or fictionkin. I find that valid.)

• Like 1

"they call him hermit the frog, hes looking for a dog. did you find your b!tch in me? your an abomination socially.."

she/her

Therianthropy refers in its aspect to extant or extinct mundane Earth (often heavily implied mammalian) animals, with no condition on the hybridization of related species. To be pedantic, technically in biology due to the existence of hybrid zones where the ranges of two distinct yet interrelated species coexist and can interbreed, there would be many more actual hybrids than reported. However, in the case of organisms who cannot naturally hybridize, this would fall outside the realm of anything therianthropy and would be purely the realm of "otherkin" rather than "therian", [uSER=58353]@YourLocalWolfAndFox[/uSER]. It most likely falls under "fictionkin" because it does not demonstrably exist in reality, thus is "fictional" even if theoretically possible because it does not actually exist in this moment, in this reality.

To be even more elaborate about this, transgenic organisms, or genetically modified organisms, would qualify in purest sense as well. The infamous "ear mice" are technically human animal hybrids but to-date it hasn't been relevant to the conversation as seen in the community at large. There might come a day where a specific descriptor could be assigned but it would, most reasonably and most correctly, be best denoted that therianthropy should predominantly refer to the above.

Smilodon Populator

I was curious and wondered, are hybrids of species that can't hybridized (example wolf and cat) part of the otherkin community?

I don't see why not, nothing in the definition of otherkin goes against it. Question itself makes me think you mean therian not otherkin. Which if that is indeed the case, I don't feel like I could answer since I'm not a therian.

Please call me Ness, my partner is the only person allowed to call me Nessie.