Terminology

Question

Hello! I know we've got a lot of folkel on the site who are new to the alterhuman community. I also know sometimes some of the terminology we use around here can be kind of baffling until you know what it means. So the purpose of this thread is for people to be able to ask what a term means and whoever wants to answer can.

Please do note, though, that @Naia already has a very good rundown of terms related to alterhuman identities in the Articles section. It's pinned at the top. And @Jeb_CC has created a fantastic flowchart explaining how different identities relate to one another and how to narrow down which one applies to you. So those resources are already available for typical alterhuman identity terminology. But there's plenty of jargon we use in our writing on the forum, too.

I'll start us off with a pair of terms that threw me at first and what they mean:

Folken - (n. s.) A species-inclusive replacement for the word "person."

Folkel - (n. pl.) The plural form of folken. A species-inclusive replacement of "people" as used as a multiple of "person."

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

11 answers to this question

I feel like this is a good place to make this distinction:

Otherkin- People who identify either partially or wholly as one or more non-human beings, entities, or concepts in a psychological or spiritual manner; in a subconscious manner, not choosing their identity.

Kinnie- someone who identifies either as or with an animal, creature, or fictional character and who consciously chooses this identity, most likely for coping reasons. Synonym with copinglink.

Pigeon | Xe/they/he | 19

Polymorph | Chaote | Draconic Witch | Norse Pagan

https://polymorphkin.carrd.co/

Kinnie- someone who identifies either as or with an animal, creature, or fictional character and who consciously chooses this identity, most likely for coping reasons. Synonym with copinglink.

Adding onto this, I think kinnie would be more aligned with otherlinks in general rather than specifically copinglinks. In my experience at least, those who call themselves kinnies tend to be doing it for fun or misusing the word to mean identifying with something. This kind of behavior can hurt the Otherkin community, as it's used as a roleplaying thing or as a joke. And, I'm not sure if this is true, but I've seen it going around that the term "kinnie" was originally an Otherkin-directed variant of a transphobic slur. So it's best to avoid referring to yourself as a kinnie because a lot of people will be insulted, and even more will automatically distrust you due to the stigma. It's best to stick with the proper terms: Otherlink if it's for fun or comfort, and Copinglink if it's for coping reasons.

I have a question as well: can someone explain the types of systems to me? I want to at least know what people are talking about, and I want to know if there's a term for my relationship with Shayde.

• Like 1

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

Astral projection: intentional out-of-body experience that assumes the existence of a subtle body called an "astral body" through which consciousness can function separately from the physical body and travel throughout the astral plane.

Fictionkin: identifying as a fictional character through spiritual or psychological means.

[automerge]1653070052[/automerge]

Adding onto this, I think kinnie would be more aligned with otherlinks in general rather than specifically copinglinks. In my experience at least, those who call themselves kinnies tend to be doing it for fun or misusing the word to mean identifying with something. This kind of behavior can hurt the Otherkin community, as it's used as a roleplaying thing or as a joke. And, I'm not sure if this is true, but I've seen it going around that the term "kinnie" was originally an Otherkin-directed variant of a transphobic slur. So it's best to avoid referring to yourself as a kinnie because a lot of people will be insulted, and even more will automatically distrust you due to the stigma. It's best to stick with the proper terms: Otherlink if it's for fun or comfort, and Copinglink if it's for coping reasons.

I have a question as well: can someone explain the types of systems to me? I want to at least know what people are talking about, and I want to know if there's a term for my relationship with Shayde.

[uSER=58374]@The Royal System[/uSER] explained it to me really well and helped me realize I was a system. In their words " There are three people

Singlets - people who are a single person

Medians - people like me who aren't fully multiple people but are not a single person

Multiple - people who are multiple people"

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Pansexual, genderfluid, demisexual

Im not the best at expaining things but

https://pluralpedia.org/w/Main_Page

^This has a lot of explanation and stuff about systems

[uSER=58374]@The Royal System[/uSER] explained it to me really well and helped me realize I was a system. In their words " There are three people

Singlets - people who are a single person

Medians - people like me who aren't fully multiple people but are not a single person

Multiple - people who are multiple people"

haha thank you

Median/Dreamway system

Donnie&Leo (Fictive) Kirby (faekin//polymorph//clown) Dib (fictive) Raemus (werewolf) Gabriel (angel)

Polyamorous // Aro Ace // System // Immersive Daydreamer // Roleplayer // Dm's open

Im not the best at expaining things but

https://pluralpedia.org/w/Main_Page

^This has a lot of explanation and stuff about systems

haha thank you

No problem, and thank you for helping us. Btw, I'm comfortable coming out and fronting. Hi, I'm tails!

-Tails

Radiant_Day Fictionkin, Yakko Fictionkin, canine hearted, feline hearted, Red Panda Therian, Clink of Po,:atal Error Sans, P!Tord, Michaelangelo from ROTTMNT

They/it/him

Hello! I know we've got a lot of folkel on the site who are new to the alterhuman community. I also know sometimes some of the terminology we use around here can be kind of baffling until you know what it means. So the purpose of this thread is for people to be able to ask what a term means and whoever wants to answer can.

Please do note, though, that @Naia already has a very good rundown of terms related to alterhuman identities in the Articles section. It's pinned at the top. And @Jeb_CC has created a fantastic flowchart explaining how different identities relate to one another and how to narrow down which one applies to you. So those resources are already available for typical alterhuman identity terminology. But there's plenty of jargon we use in our writing on the forum, too.

I'll start us off with a pair of terms that threw me at first and what they mean:

Folken - (n. s.) A species-inclusive replacement for the word "person."

Folkel - (n. pl.) The plural form of folken. A species-inclusive replacement of "people" as used as a multiple of "person."

This is useful. I'll have to get in the habit of using folken/folkel. I found the article you mentioned but what about the flowchart? Where is that?

Kieran Ask (Ask pronouns) Feline or Fox Therian. Can't tell.

Alterbeing is one of my favorite terms so:

Alterbeing: Someone who does not identify as who or what they physically are, either physiologically or spiritually.

• Like 1

"i wanna go home.. I- i dont like this party... im allergic to people!"

-he/her-

Alterbeing is one of my favorite terms so:

Alterbeing: Someone who does not identify as who or what they physically are, either physiologically or spiritually.

Never heard of that before. Cool!

They/it/him

It's basically just alterhuman but its not specially for non-humans

Oh cool!

They/it/him

This is useful. I'll have to get in the habit of using folken/folkel. I found the article you mentioned but what about the flowchart? Where is that?

It's here.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir