Should I put myself out there?

I've been grappling with this question for a long time. I'm a writer, artist, and animator, but I never feel fulfilled. Some people in my life say that I should post my stuff somewhere public, but the most I've done is put a couple animations on YouTube. But since I'm a small creator almost nobody sees them, so there's really no point.

The biggest project I've ever worked on is the Shifted Duology, which is a 362-page Undertale fanfiction - actually two fanfics, hence the name - but it deals with taboo topics such as physical shifting, human experimentation, and expressing unwanted instincts. It also contains subject matter that, to some, would be considered NSFW. It's not like that to me, but I'm scared of being seen like that for the way I write transformation sequences. Most characters, when they change, are in extreme pain but are having their emotions chemically manipulated so they find pleasure in it, simply so they don't lash out or fight too hard against it. But that's considered NSFW for some reason(?).

So, I really want to put it out there since I've worked so hard on it, maybe on Tumblr because that's where everyone puts their Undertale AUs, but I'm terrified of people and even more terrified of the internet. I also need to ask the person I collaborated with about some things, but I think they don't ever want to see it raise its ugly head again. So I'm kinda stuck. What should I do?

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

It's your art. If you are proud of what you have created and you feel that there is nothing wrong with it, then publish it. Let the world know who you are. If you're not completely sure about it, you could start by posting it in an anonymous way. This way you can see the general reaction without being directly affected by it. And your fanfiction sounds cool as hell, I bet a lot of people would love to read it.

Of course not everyone will like your art, that happens with everything, but those who like it will do it a lot. Be proud of your creations and show them to the world.

• Like 1

>>Demon, shadow person, beast/monster and labrador retriever therian<<

🌿Ei/Em, He/Him, It/Its🌿

I mean it is a part of you -basically- as it comes from you. Nothing more and nothing less. As for putting the stuff on the internet ... yes, I would agree that to some extend, you have to accept the fact, that there will also be people who may not like it. What is your first impulse?
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds -- Bob Marley

I'm not really afraid of my work being disliked - in fact, I feel like I really need some constructive criticism - I'm scared of getting judged for who I am. But I do need to toughen up, I suppose... I've had a two-year break from the constant backlash, I can't escape being bullied forever! Maybe some Kinmunity people should read it first, since we're all open to this sort of thing. I'm going through the final editing process, so it's not quite there yet, but it's good enough.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

When editing is done I'll post it in Creative Corner, but editing will take a while because it's so loooong.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Deleted58495

I've been grappling with this question for a long time. I'm a writer, artist, and animator, but I never feel fulfilled. Some people in my life say that I should post my stuff somewhere public, but the most I've done is put a couple animations on YouTube. But since I'm a small creator almost nobody sees them, so there's really no point.

The biggest project I've ever worked on is the Shifted Duology, which is a 362-page Undertale fanfiction - actually two fanfics, hence the name - but it deals with taboo topics such as physical shifting, human experimentation, and expressing unwanted instincts. It also contains subject matter that, to some, would be considered NSFW. It's not like that to me, but I'm scared of being seen like that for the way I write transformation sequences. Most characters, when they change, are in extreme pain but are having their emotions chemically manipulated so they find pleasure in it, simply so they don't lash out or fight too hard against it. But that's considered NSFW for some reason(?).

So, I really want to put it out there since I've worked so hard on it, maybe on Tumblr because that's where everyone puts their Undertale AUs, but I'm terrified of people and even more terrified of the internet. I also need to ask the person I collaborated with about some things, but I think they don't ever want to see it raise its ugly head again. So I'm kinda stuck. What should I do?

Honestly, if you're terrified of the internet, you're letting people you'll probably never meet live rent free and they don't even know of you because you haven't put yourself out there.

It's your creations. Be proud of it. Stand firm with your feet on the ground, your head held high and give a massive middle finger to any and everyone who dares harass you.

At the end of the day, words are only as powerful as the power you give them. If people don't like your content, so be it. You'll never be able to please everyone. But if you find your niche on the internet, hold it dear and don't let go.

Best advice I've ever been given was from my boo, who said "I stopped giving a damn what people thought about me a long time ago and it's drastically improved my life."

I hope this quote resonates with anyone who comes onto this thread and sees it. It's something I'm working on, myself.

Be you. Those who are attracted will stay. Those who harass don't matter.

Honestly, if you're terrified of the internet, you're letting people you'll probably never meet live rent free and they don't even know of you because you haven't put yourself out there.

It's your creations. Be proud of it. Stand firm with your feet on the ground, your head held high and give a massive middle finger to any and everyone who dares harass you.

At the end of the day, words are only as powerful as the power you give them. If people don't like your content, so be it. You'll never be able to please everyone. But if you find your niche on the internet, hold it dear and don't let go.

Best advice I've ever been given was from my boo, who said "I stopped giving a damn what people thought about me a long time ago and it's drastically improved my life."

I hope this quote resonates with anyone who comes onto this thread and sees it. It's something I'm working on, myself.

Be you. Those who are attracted will stay. Those who harass don't matter.

Oh damn that's empowering :0 Thank you.

As a writer - or an artist of any kind - as soon as you release something out into the world, it's going to be subject to the viewpoints of others. It just is. But you know what it means to you, even if others misinterpret. Don't let the fear of their reactions stop you. There are always going to be folks on the internet who take things in wildly incorrect ways. That's the nature of humanity. (And alterhumanity, we're not immune.) One thing I've joked about for a long time about if I ever publish any of the many novels I've started working on over the years is that if nobody writes fanfics misinterpreting the plot or featuring pairings that are mildly uncomfortable to me or that change all my characters into fish or something, I will be seriously disappointed. I'm only half joking. Because it would mean folks like it enough to actually put in the time and effort to write these things. With this being a fanfic (although a long one, holy crap, you wrote a  novel) I'd say it'll probably be more comments and maybe art. But still, those things mean folks enjoyed it enough to take the time to do those things. We don't get to control how folkel view our work. We just send it out into the world, like a child. Which might be the most tired, overused analogy ever, but it works. You worked hard on this! And you know what it means to you. The opinions or misinterpretations of others aren't going to change that.

And if you want to put it in a more... I don't really know how to phrase this well, but writer and artist centric environment where folks are maybe a little less likely to decide it should be taken in an inappropriate way, maybe AO3? I've found that to be a good place for that. Mostly, anyway. Tumblr is not comprised primarily of fanfic writers and readers, whereas AO3 is. And it seems like there's a little more understanding there of what authors have to say about their own fics.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir