Row v Wade Overturned

[information=Opinions are my own]Opinions expressed in this post are the sole opinion of Naia Ōkami and do not represent the opinion of Kinmunity as a whole.[/information]

The Supreme Court of the United States voted to overturn Row v Wade, ending constitutionally protected abortion rights which were in place for over fifty years. The immediate effect of this decision will soon be felt in thirteen states where trigger laws are in effect to ban or heavily restrict abortion on the overturning of Row v Wade. This decision is likely going to have profound impact on women across the nation, and therefore, is worthy of discussion as a current event. The following states have trigger laws in effect designed to outlaw abortion as a result of this decision:

• Texas
  • Idaho
  • Utah
  • Wyoming
  • North Dakota
  • South Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • Missouri
  • Mississippi
  • Louisiana
  • Arkansas
  • Tennessee
  • Kentucky

The following states are deemed as likely to outlaw or severely limit access to abortion as a result of this decision:

• Iowa
  • Alabama
  • Georgia
  • South Carolina
  • West Virginia
  • Ohio
  • Indiana

Frankly, I find this terrifying. Not only is bodily autonomy an important human right, but a lot of states which intend on banning abortion do not have any exceptions in place for sexual assault or rape, or preserving the health of the mother. I feel it is truly a sad day here in America.

Naia Ōkami [ID] [KB] [KO]

Site Administrator & Founder

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its

staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

Here's to expressing my own opinion, indeed this is a sad day. America is actually going backwards which.. I didn't think was possible. They say you learn from history, but obviously not, at least some don't.

I found these resources that I think should be shared where possible.

[ATTACH type=full]6915[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH type=full]6916[/ATTACH]

I've always been pro choice, it seemed like a no brainer. And how dare that someone believe that a small undeveloped life form has more rights than a fully grown adult. How dare they.

It's about physical safety, mental safety, finances, relationships, so many things are involved when someone has a child. And it's disgraceful that one would try to force all of that upon someone else.

And this stupid "Well just don't have sex" argument is atrocious. Sex, whether you or I like it or not, is an important part of life for many individuals (maybe not some asexuals though). You could do everything right, go on birth control, wear a condom, and you could still end up with a pregnancy.

I have very firm opinions about being pro choice. I also read daily updates from this page:

https://m.facebook.com/135424206595932/

It's about parents who regret having children, the honest side of life, that many are too afraid to acknowledge. Children are hell, even for some who wanted them. Imagine how it must be for those that didn't want them.

Ghost-Dragonkin | Snakehearted

I am immortal until proven otherwise.

I use tone tags!

Untitled_06-21-2022_06-58-38.gif

People are going to die as a result of this, and they’re going to gun for other minority rights as a result of this. The lawmakers have been discussing sodomy laws as a target next, so you bet your ass they’re gonna try to overturn gay marriage soon too. I hope the rest of the world shames the US for this decision because frankly, it’s appalling. “Allowing the decision to be state-based” cool I’m glad that this already useful law that didn’t need changing is getting repealed in order to allow slapdash movements in the opposite direction to further restrict the bodily autonomy of people with uteruses. There was no good reason for this other than for cishet men (esp white men) to further oppress and assert control over minority groups.

And if you disagree with me, I don’t care.

- panthera onca -

People are going to die as a result of this, and they’re going to gun for other minority rights as a result of this. The lawmakers have been discussing sodomy laws as a target next, so you bet your ass they’re gonna try to overturn gay marriage soon too. I hope the rest of the world shames the US for this decision because frankly, it’s appalling. “Allowing the decision to be state-based” cool I’m glad that this already useful law that didn’t need changing is getting repealed in order to allow slapdash movements in the opposite direction to further restrict the bodily autonomy of people with uteruses. There was no good reason for this other than for cishet men (esp white men) to further oppress and assert control over minority groups.

And if you disagree with me, I don’t care. Rate me negative if it makes you feel better about yourself lol.

I'm not going to side with people who think killing defenseless children is ok

Julius the cat , the eldest Disney toon

The lawmakers have been discussing sodomy laws as a target next, so you bet your ass they’re gonna try to overturn gay marriage soon too.

The gay marriage thing I am actually quite concerned over. For obvious reasons, but one obscure reason is that people are now going to rush into marriages before it gets overturned, and this is not going to end very well for many parties. Marriage shouldn't be rushed into, ever, and the country is now enticing people to do just that.

I use tone tags!

I'm not going to side with people who think killing defenseless children is ok

They’re not defenseless children, they’re a clump of cells with no bodily autonomy that are developing. I’m sorry if you believe these cell clumps deserve more of a right to forcefully exist than the wishes of a fully formed human with bodily autonomy who has lived experiences, but I find it more cruel to assert that people who get abortions enjoy the experience and want one for that reason, and not that they’re doing what they feel they have to do so they’re not stuck raising someone in a situation that is less than ideal, because let’s face it, our society does not care about providing for mothers (esp those who are impoverished which is often the case of people who might need an abortion most and are least able to get them). Instead you’re forcing these children to be born into a less fortunate situation, by parents who did not want them (and that takes a toll on someone as they’re growing up if the parents doesn’t have the mental capacity and maturity to not project that, yet ANOTHER situation intentionally mishandled by those in charge), which means you’re condemning a child into a hard life because you felt it was more important to preserve who they could become, way before they’d even become a living member of our society. It’s intersectionality 101.

Oh, and this doesn’t include the number of people who will instead go seek out riskier abortions and potentially die as a result of it. More people will die, this is a fact as evidenced by the history of abortion rights.

- panthera onca -

They’re not defenseless children, they’re a clump of cells with no bodily autonomy that are developing. I’m sorry if you believe these cell clumps deserve more of a right to forcefully exist than the wishes of a fully formed human with bodily autonomy who has lived experiences, but I find it more cruel to assert that people who get abortions enjoy the experience and want one for that reason, and not that they’re doing what they feel they have to do so they’re not stuck raising someone in a situation that is less than ideal, because let’s face it, our society does not care about providing for mothers (esp those who are impoverished which is often the case of people who might need an abortion most and are least able to get them). Instead you’re forcing these children to be born into a less fortunate situation, by parents who did not want them (and that takes a toll on someone as they’re growing up if the parents doesn’t have the mental capacity and maturity to not project that, yet ANOTHER situation intentionally mishandled by those in charge), which means you’re condemning a child into a hard life because you felt it was more important to preserve who they could become, way before they’d even become a living member of our society. It’s intersectionality 101.

Oh, and this doesn’t include the number of people who will instead go seek out riskier abortions and potentially die as a result of it. More people will die, this is a fact as evidenced by the history of abortion.

Even if these cells have a soul, or classified as a living being, it's shocking that one would prefer that defenceless being to live over a müllerian who probably has a partner, a job, hobbies, dreams, hopes... ALL of that to be affected by this one being that'll cling to this woman like a parasite for 18 years. lol

Edited by Jeb_CC

I use tone tags!

This has been at the top of news feeds in German media, too. What a sad day for self-determination, what a huge step back for a country that's been a role model of liberty and freedom! This decision must be up to the parents and only the parents.

Western Guardian Dragon

I can't choose between either side. They both are just as bad. With either choice lives will be lost.

Honestly, I believe that what we need is to improve birth control and make it affordable. That way there will be no need to decide whether or not to end a life. I do think that abortion should still be available for those who truly need it.

The best way to decrease abortions is to have comprehensive sex ed and access to birth control. As far as abortion, I honestly think that is a decision to be left to the patient and their doctor and anyone else the patient chooses to involve and no one else. That is a medical decision and is not anyone else's business.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

Forcing a person to give birth to a child is a disgusting violation of their freedom.

Forcing a child to be born to a parent who doesn't want them is an act of utmost cruelty.

The debate about a fetus being a life or a "real baby" has no bearing on me. I don't care if the fetus has a soul and everything from the second of conception. If it relies on my body to survive, it is a parasite, and it is my right to destroy it.

I knew this decision was coming, so I'm just waiting now. This is only the next step of a political dance that has been going on in this country since before I was born. Some of the moves benefit me, others don't. The people are angry, and we will just have to see what they do and how the government decides to respond to that.

My personal plan, as it has always been, is to just get a permanent, sterilizing surgery and be done with the possibility of reproduction forever.

"Wholly wounded, I imitate, I take shape."

polymorphic

Forcing a person to give birth to a child is a disgusting violation of their freedom.

Forcing a child to be born to a parent who doesn't want them is an act of utmost cruelty.

The debate about a fetus being a life or a "real baby" has no bearing on me. I don't care if the fetus has a soul and everything from the second of conception. If it relies on my body to survive, it is a parasite, and it is my right to destroy it.

I knew this decision was coming, so I'm just waiting now. This is only the next step of a political dance that has been going on in this country since before I was born. Some of the moves benefit me, others don't. The people are angry, and we will just have to see what they do and how the government decides to respond to that.

My personal plan, as it has always been, is to just get a permanent, sterilizing surgery and be done with the possibility of reproduction forever.

Not saying this to discourage you, but saying it as a vent and addition to this thread - it's harder than expected to sterilise oneself. I have read countless of stories of müllerians being refused the surgery because their doctor has the final say. And they will often reject the surgery because so many of them are pro-natalist, it's abhorrent. They easily use their personal opinion to sway your decision, even if you're adamant about not having children, they expect you'll change your mind later.

I do hope this trend may change though once they realise that müllerians are running out of options.

I use tone tags!

If it relies on my body to survive, it is a parasite, and it is my right to destroy it.

This ^ So much this. I’ve used this exact same analogy many times when discussing the issue with family, friends, and people I’ve simply engaged in healthy debates with. A lot of people get really personally offended and think that I’m calling their child or future child a parasite specifically. No, I’m simply denoting that a fetus’ relationship with its host literally fits the definition of parasitic.

As a transgender woman who who intends to undergo bottom surgery, I’m extremely happy that I will be rendered incapable of contributing to the production of offspring as a result. It does concern me that müllerians are denied voluntary sterilization on such a routine basis. It’s easier in the UE, barrier wise, to undergo FTM transition than it is to decide to simply not have a child and get your tubes tied - which is just WOW!

staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

Just as a btw for anyone that saw what Nova wrote. It wasn't taken down intentionally as I see it's not up we've been having a fair number of internal communications issues within 2x2L including a massive ton of new members fronting lately that borderline no nothing about this world yet I think one of them might have deleted it accidentally out of confusion sorry about that. But we stand by anything Nova wrote there for those that saw it even know I don't quite remember exactly what she said. (Violet all pronouns).

Edit:I'm just going to goadhead and retype what I wrote (Nova she/her)

Edit 2: I agree with everything that Naia and Jethero said earlier. To add on to that 2x2L is the result of an accidental pregnancy one that likely would have been terminated if it wasn't thanks to prolife arguments. While I am happy to have my life not at the cost of hurting those around me that I care about. I rather not have had this life at all if it means I wouldn't be furthering prolife arguments. We're amab and collectively ace while the law won't affect us personally in the short term it does affect the lives of beings I deeply care about. At the end of the day it isn't a prolife argument its just an unjust argument made by with those with power to further oppress minorities.

I think this is pretty much what I have written earlier bar some wording changes sorry again about the post getting accidentally deleted since I see someone else quoted it (Nova she/her)

Edited by 2x2L
2x2L System

It’s my belief that most medical issues like this, since they can vary significantly situationally, should not be restricted by general laws, and that it is the choice of the mother alone on whether to terminate a pregnancy.

However, the point of the overturning of this law is not to preserve life, as several people have already noted, and that’s because of several reasons. The first is that the people who overturned it could easily, and indeed have admitted to, intending to overturn other laws relating to rights and freedom based on it, such as making same-gender marriage or interracial marriage illegal.

In addition, there are cases, such as if the mother has cancer or it is an ectopic pregnancy, in which if there is not an abortion it is highly likely or in some cases guaranteed that both the mother and the child will die.

A third reason is that, as RowanWolf said, if the wanted to preserve life their actions in general would support that view, rather than it looking like their goal is to strip away our rights.

I understand that some people will disagree with this assessment, whether it be because of religion, a different interpretation, or me not citing my sources for this information, and I respect their beliefs, but regardless of that I firmly believe that the power to choose a child’s fate, while they are still in the womb, belongs solely to the mother of said child.

Clementine the RainWing

“I neither know nor think I know” -Socrates

I tend to copy stuff if I've written long things, so I've actually got what I wrote that was referenced. (The things one learns from Tumblr...) I hadn't realized the post I referenced was deleted while I was typing this text wall, so this is minus that bit. And I'll comment at the start this time instead of at the end that all the arguments and views here are mine and reflect solely on me. Also, the people I'm particularly critical towards are my relatives whose crap I have to hear on a variety of issues, so there is, indeed, a defined group and not a theoretical. That said:

I know I've commented on this already, but there's one other thing that bothers me. The "prolife" movement isn't prolife. That's a façade. Just a pretty veneer to cover up the actual motivations. There are undoubtedly individuals within that movement who actually are genuinely prolife, but the movement as a whole is very much not. Because a lot of the same people who claim to be prolife don't support things like universal healthcare, universal childcare, access to safe and equitable education, and safety net programs like welfare, WIC, and SNAP. In fact, a majority of elected representatives who claim that they are "prolife" actively work against those things, as well as other measures like gun control, immigration reform, and measures to combat climate change. Those elected representatives also tend to be warhawks. None of that exactly screams "prolife" to me. If you are genuinely prolife, then beyond a child simply being born, you should endeavor to provide them with all the things they will need for a safe, healthy, productive future. Those things include things like food, shelter, clean water, a planet that isn't burning, and the means to keep them with their birth families if that is the best thing for that child or actual care if there is a valid cause to remove them from their family's care. It includes access to an equitable education where they will be able to learn just the same as everyone else regardless of their zip code or the color of their skin or what's between their legs. It includes the safety of being able to play outside or sit in their living room or go to school or to the grocery store without having to be afraid. And it includes access to all the care they will need to keep them healthy through their life. Which, if they have a uterus, may at some point include an abortion.

I see a lot of the same people who say they're "prolife" turn around and oppose comprehensive sex ed and easy access to contraceptives. They argue that it's the family's place to teach children about these things, not the school's. And they'll claim that babies are a gift from god. But then they'll turn around and treat an unwanted pregnancy like it's a just punishment for some sort of sin. So which is it? Are children a gift from god or a punishment? And if you're bringing a whole new individual person into the world just to punish someone else, does that not maybe strike you are just a tad unfair to the person being cast as a punishment? They are an individual being with aspirations and a future of their own, not some sort of tool of divine justice. And if you treat that child like a ball and chain to keep the parent from getting anywhere in life, does it not occur to you that that's also hurting that life you claimed to support? Maybe that's just the particular breed of "prolifers" I've had the displeasure of spending the most time around. That particular group is extremely religious, extremely rightwing, and more than a little out of touch. I'm also unfortunately stuck with them as a consequence of shared blood. And it's just insanely frustrating to hear all this crap. Over and over and over and nothing gets through.

I'm ranting. This has become a rant. But honestly, I hate when people - especially people in positions of power - claim they're prolife while opposing measures that would help ensure the futures of these babies they're supposedly saving. And so many of the arguments I've heard most frequently make absolutely no sense, but the people I'm hearing them from have skulls thicker than concrete. (I've muted them all on any social media I'm friends with them on, because I just can't with their bs right now and don't want to say something that will come back to haunt me at future family reunions.) It's just aggravating and I really hope that I can just be rid of my uterus in the near future. Because gender reasons and also endometriosis reasons. But I also know I'm extremely lucky in that the hospital system nearby has an entire unit devoted to just LGBTQ+ healthcare. Most folks don't have that. And for most ciswomen, access to voluntary sterilization is extremely difficult. Especially if they're unmarried and/or under 35 and/or do not have children. Because "you'll change your mind later" or, even more frustratingly, "what if your future husband wants kids?" I'm well aware that I have access to care that most uterus-bearing folks are not lucky enough to have access to. And that pisses me off, too, because I shouldn't be able to count myself lucky over that. It should just be a given. But I'm going to stop ranting now. I've said my piece, I'm going to shut up now.

Rowan

Wolf Therian | Gryphonkin | Kitsunekin | Crowkith | Ravenkith | Red-Tailed Hawk-kith

They/Them :nerd: Xe/Xir

This will likely start either a civil war or a migration to safer states. All I can say is don't be afraid to resort to gruesome anti-rape measures.

🪄light from Andromeda☀️Bringer of dawn🌠he/him🪐

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

jVNsUVEcNMvusUGvMTtl.png

• 2 weeks later...

People have already dismantled pro-life arguments better than I could, but the most likely impact this will have on me is being transgender in a state with don't say gay and which is trying to make it so that the state insurance doesn't cover transgender related treatments, the overturning of this is going to have a bad ripple effect on general bodily autonomy and there's already people frothing at the mouth to revoke that from transgender people. Not being able to get our HRT is bad enough, but I'm worried they'll go further.

Thankfully our mom's a good ally and we've been talking about what we'd do if we need to move, but it's unnerving to seriously have to consider this. Our mom's helping us get a passport and we already have a selected state ready to go if we need to move and we've thrown up a couple different countries. I've seen other queer people doing the same and it seems to be especially rough if you're married and have kids.

I'm worried for the people who will have it worse though. This is going to be a terrifying time to get pregnant or god forbid get sexually assaulted, and while I'll do what I can there's not a lot I can do in a hippster-y city far away from the state capital.

(but shoutout to my grandma for going to anti-abortion rallys, you might loose your grandkid because of it)

Rolling around an empty town

No man alive in the zombie crowd

Thankfully our mom's a good ally and we've been talking about what we'd do if we need to move

A bit off-topic, but I figured it would be useful to respond to this. Washington is an amazing state. The rights to gender-affirming healthcare and reproductive healthcare are protected by state law here... and not just in a performative way either. Our insurance commissioner, Mike Kreidler, has a history of actively penalizing insurance companies that introduce artificial barriers to care or otherwise act in a discriminatory matter. It was recently ruled that even procedures which other states that cover transgender care consider cosmetic (facial electrolysis and facial feminization surgery, for example) MUST be covered by insurance here.

A bit off-topic, but I figured it would be useful to respond to this. Washington is an amazing state. The rights to gender-affirming healthcare and reproductive healthcare are protected by state law here... and not just in a performative way either. Our insurance commissioner, Mike Kreidler, has a history of actively penalizing insurance companies that introduce artificial barriers to care or otherwise act in a discriminatory matter. It was recently ruled that even procedures which other states that cover transgender care consider cosmetic (facial electrolysis and facial feminization surgery, for example) MUST be covered by insurance here.

Huh thank you, I'll look into that. We were thinking of going to a state we used to live in if we had to, but I'll keep that in mind in case we need to use that option!

Rolling around an empty town

No man alive in the zombie crowd