Dragon type hybrids?

Question

I'm questioning being dragonkin, but know close to nothing about dragons. I've been researching them, the mythology surrounding them and their anatomy for a little bit over a month now, and it doesn't seem like I fit either category of a western or an eastern variation of the dragon. I know there are more dragon-related mythological species like wyverns, feydragons, wyrms, hydras and so on, but I don't fit them either. I was thinking that maybe I could be a hybrid of a few of them, but since there is no concrete proof of dragons ever existing, would it be possible? And if it is, would it make me fictionkin?

arctic fox / australian shepherd / eurasian lynx

questioning gray wolf / dragon

8 answers to this question

Dragon has no set definition, any mythical beast could be called one. There are just traits seen typical like having wings or looking reptilian.

Please call me Ness, my partner is the only person allowed to call me Nessie.

There are specific ideas of a dragons that most people recognize depending on the region and I like to go by those, but you're right.

arctic fox / australian shepherd / eurasian lynx

questioning gray wolf / dragon

Start with who you are first, then find a name for it second. If no current name matches up, then keep looking or make your own name. Not every creature to have existed in the universe will have a wiki entry. Who says that your kind has ever had contact with Earth?

What do you look like? How do you behave? What does it feel like to be you? You are not making up a new species, at least you shouldn't be. You are simply describing yourself. If it matches a known species, then lucky you. If it doesn't, then that's not your fault.

• Like 2

Red Tailed Hawk Therian / Polymorph / Spirit Being / Anthro Hawk / Deitykin

Shard of Heru AKA Horus

The concept of a dragon is not bound to "eastern" and "western." There are many depictions of dragons that don't fit that criteria. And, keep in mind that you could be a dragon from fictional media. I'd look at the How To Train Your Dragon franchise to start, simply because of how many diverse species there are.

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

For me, dragon is not tied to a fixed concept like western or eastern, nor necessarily to a specific form. I think it depends on whether someone has lived as a dragon in "flesh and blood" or whether it is more astral in nature.

To me, dragon describes a core of being that sometimes adapts in internal manifestation but retains its basic resonance, so it just feels "dragon". However, even now, years after the starting point of my awakening, I continue to learn new facets and aspects of myself and my continuum of what it means for me to be Dragon is constantly expanding.

• Like 1
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds -- Bob Marley

As noted by many, what a dragon is or is not is extremely subjective as it stands currently. I will note there does exist an archetypal dragon and that it exists pre-immanent of what culture and society as of today considers it and this image, this concept, is older than written record to the point it appears in a number of creation stories explicitly or in suggestion. I should also note this is a largely academic, scholarly, predominantly anthropological and psychological stance to stay, as well as to some extent a religious one obviously, but there is a "core concept" of what the word "dragon" means and what a "dragon" is. That is what I have to add here, as otherwise it really comes down to subjectivity.

As for what can be said objectively along these lines, dragons are effectively in the history of humans the "unknown", often embodied as "chaos" or "change", and are effectively the fearsome, immortal reptile or so it has been supposed. A "dragon" is effectively an insurmountable force of nature, which is mostly more impartial than how we often see them portrayed today. Dragons destroy human civilization classically - Tiamat for the Babylonians, Leviathan in Judaism, the Serpent in Abrahamic faiths as a whole, the Ouroboros et. al., the "World Serpent", and so on - and or are major completely barely unfathomable things of power which can destroy, as well as often create, in ways scarcely comprehensible to humans. Often portrayed as deific or a near deity, or at least well beyond anything truly mortal, e.g., human beings, is the concept of what a dragon in fact is.

What can be said about concrete proof is more the revelation something needn't be definitively physical in our reality to be true; dragons are obviously quite "real" on a level transcendent of the physical. But that is more a philosophical place of understanding but on a metaphysical one, it too can always be true that what a "dragon" really is can exist beyond the physical and into the other possible natures of being. Really it is however, a much better, more consistent, logical metaphysical argument to instead just pay heed to the idea of what a dragon really is as some sort of universal constant, which it seems to be.

My suggestion would be to not look so literally and instead try to read between the lines instead throughout all the historical and prehistoric contexts, @celery.

Edited by Red-in-Tooth
  • Like 1

Smilodon Populator