PSA for anyone living in the eastern half of the United States

[ATTACH type=full]7056[/ATTACH]

This is a spotted lanternfly. It feeds on trees that people use for various important purposes, such as fruit trees, pine trees, and ornamental trees. The species is native to China but has spread to the US and is wreaking havoc on the fruit and logging industries. If allowed to spread, lanternflies will cause serious damage to apple, cherry, plum, and pine trees - among many others, leaving the US with a shortage of fruit and timber. They are currently found in Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia, and are likely to spread farther. Check your vehicle, clothes, and other items frequently when travelling through these areas and before you leave states where they are found. Kill these insects on sight - they can't hurt you and can't fly very far, so they're good hunting practice! And you'll be doing something good for the environment while you're at it.

Read more here:" USDA APHIS | Spotted Lanternfly"USDA APHIS | Spotted Lanternfly

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

Super helpful! And thank you so much for linking an article to this. I've seen allot of posts in my gardening groups about those bugs, thankfully I haven't seen anything that looks like those lanternflys yet. Now I know how to properly identify them thanks :D
bJs5ioz.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I have a ton of fruit trees in my house here in Florida. Will keep an eye out for them.

"Before we start testing today, let's have our mandatory minute of silence in honor of Earth's governing body, the Sentient Cloud. [throat clear] Starting now. [a pause] [coughing] Good, right. All hail the sentient cloud. Begin testing."

--

Cave Johnson

• 3 weeks later...

[ATTACH type=full" alt="Screenshot_20220715-172957~2.png]7056[/ATTACH]

This is a spotted lanternfly. It feeds on trees that people use for various important purposes, such as fruit trees, pine trees, and ornamental trees. The species is native to China but has spread to the US and is wreaking havoc on the fruit and logging industries. If allowed to spread, lanternflies will cause serious damage to apple, cherry, plum, and pine trees - among many others, leaving the US with a shortage of fruit and timber. They are currently found in Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia, and are likely to spread farther. Check your vehicle, clothes, and other items frequently when travelling through these areas and before you leave states where they are found. Kill these insects on sight - they can't hurt you and can't fly very far, so they're good hunting practice! And you'll be doing something good for the environment while you're at it.

Read more here:" USDA APHIS | Spotted Lanternfly"USDA APHIS | Spotted Lanternfly

I always kill them, they’re killing the world

Thanks for the heads up, are they in Illinois yet?

I haven't heard anything, but be on the lookout just in case. Make sure to report them if you see one (there's a lot of numbers you can call)

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

Are they in Texas yet because we haven't seen any

I haven't heard of any sightings in Texas but it is certainly one of the more high-risk states.