A few changes coming to Kinmunity...

As many of you know, we have been soliciting donations in order to perform some site updates. We've had the following ideas for quite a while now, and we're ready to reveal them to you all. These updates will be gradually applied over the course of time, with some of them rolling out to +Primal and VIP members first in order to gain valuable feedback before we roll them out site-wide. Without further delay, here are the features coming to Kinmunity.

• Redesigned Gender & Pronoun Fields

A long standing criticism of Kinmunity is the way we handle the gender and pronoun fields on our site. This reflects a technical feasibility issue rather than an issue in stance or policy as several staff members and I identify as transgender. Beginning soon, the profile fields for gender and pronouns will be changed as such.

1. The options for "Gender Identity" will reflect most recognized gender identities, but will NOT necessarily indicate transgender status; a check box will be used if a user wishes to voluntarily disclose that they identify as transgender; this check box, combined with the sexuality field, will be used to determine access to the LGBTQ+ sections of the site, rather than the actual "Gender Identity" selection.
  2. Users who choose the "Other" option for the "Gender Identity" field will be permitted to type a custom gender identity into a text field.
  3. In a similar effort, users who choose the "Other" option for the "Pronouns" field will be permitted to type custom pronouns into a text field. For security reasons, once the site is configured to address users by their selected pronouns, users who select an "Other" option will be referred to only as their username or by neutral pronouns - the site cannot and will-not use the value of your text entry for this purpose for security reasons - sorry!

• Sub-Accounts System

Kinmunity has had a long-standing policy against a single body operating multiple accounts. This policy is in-place for anti-abuse purposes and to prevent circumvention of account restrictions. However, it does not always work well for members of plural systems. For this reason, we will be implementing a system that allows users to create "sub accounts" under their main login. Sub-Accounts will be able to have their own profile, avatar, and details. Initially, sub accounts will only be fully functional in some areas of the site using new "Post as", "Watch With", and similar fields from the main account. Eventually, we aim to allow sub-accounts to work almost identically to fully functioning Kinmunity accounts.

As an example, here is an early test of the system I am playing with that is visible as I write this post:

[ATTACH]7073[/ATTACH]

... and here is an example of the pages where you can manage them ...[ATTACH type=full]7074[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH type=full]7075[/ATTACH]

Sub Accounts will be rolled out to +Primal subscribers first, then Gold Donors, then VIPs, then all users. We intend to allow users to link existing accounts together for the first few weeks of the feature's public release, but then we will restrict the interface to only allow the creation or deletion of new sub-accounts, rather than linking an existing full-fledged account and converting it into a sub-account. This is to give users who have created multiple accounts before this feature was introduced a chance to use this feature properly; once this grace period expires, the only supported way of having multiple accounts on Kinmunty will be creating them via the sub-accounts interface.

If you like the work we're doing, please consider donating. Every bit helps!

Naia Ōkami [ID] [KB] [KO]

Site Administrator & Founder

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its

staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

While I wouldn't mind being able to link accounts where we can still keep our full accounts, and this seems like a great feature for the systems who need it, I think that systems should be given the option if they want to use sub-accounts or full accounts.

For my system at least our browser is set up so we can easily switch between account containers with the Firefox Multi-Account Containers extension. Like our routine is one system member will open all their accounts at once to check them, and we'll also typically have multiple logins of one website open. This isn't really possible with a built-in account switcher, and also not as convenient because with this extension we can just right click to open a site in a specific container and it's easier than needing to go through a website's sub-account interface.

Though it would probably still work for our set up and most potential issues I can think of with other system set ups if we can use separate login cookies? But I'm not sure how exaactly the sub -ccounts are being set up and if that would be possible with the system

Rolling around an empty town

No man alive in the zombie crowd

While I wouldn't mind being able to link accounts where we can still keep our full accounts, and this seems like a great feature for the systems who need it, I think that systems should be given the option if they want to use sub-accounts or full accounts.

For my system at least our browser is set up so we can easily switch between account containers with the Firefox Multi-Account Containers extension. Like our routine is one system member will open all their accounts at once to check them, and we'll also typically have multiple logins of one website open. This isn't really possible with a built-in account switcher, and also not as convenient because with this extension we can just right click to open a site in a specific container and it's easier than needing to go through a website's sub-account interface.

Though it would probably still work for our set up and most potential issues I can think of with other system set ups if we can use separate login cookies? But I'm not sure how exaactly the sub -ccounts are being set up and if that would be possible with the system

Sub-Accounts can have their own passwords, as you probably can see in the account creation screen. This means that they can be used in the way that you are describing. There are simply actions which will not support and cannot support sub-accounts to prevent abuse... mostly things tied around bones, reaction points, and so forth.

staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

Sub-Accounts can have their own passwords, as you probably can see in the account creation screen. This means that they can be used in the way that you are describing. There are simply actions which will not support and cannot support sub-accounts to prevent abuse... mostly things tied around bones, reaction points, and so forth.

That makes sense, we'd probably have to see if complimented how it would react. In general though if it would work to be logged in in two separate browsers it should also work for the multi-account containers extension.

Is the plan to have bones and reaction points be linked?

In general though if it would work to be logged in in two separate browsers it should also work for the multi-account containers extension.

Yes; this should work.

Is the plan to have bones and reaction points be linked?

Bones and Reaction points will NOT be available to sub accounts. On launch, not all features of the website will work for sub accounts... here are some quick examples; right now for admin testing, only "Forums" work for sub accounts, but we will have more on launch.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="1.PNG]7081[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH type=full" alt="2.PNG]7080[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH type=full" alt="3.PNG]7079[/ATTACH]

Yes; this should work.

Bones and Reaction points will NOT be available to sub accounts. On launch, not all features of the website will work for sub accounts... here are some quick examples; right now for admin testing, only "Forums" work for sub accounts, but we will have more on launch.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="1.PNG]7081[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH type=full" alt="2.PNG]7080[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH type=full" alt="3.PNG]7079[/ATTACH]

Sorry I have a couple more questions for this, does this mean we would this mean that sub accounts would be unnable to get badges?

Sorry I have a couple more questions for this, does this mean we would this mean that sub accounts would be unnable to get badges?

We may allow badges (but not permissioned items) to be gifted from main accounts to sub accounts, but otherwise yes

We may allow badges (but not permissioned items) to be gifted from main accounts to sub accounts, but otherwise yes

Thinking about it more, I'm not sure if I agree with this. I wouldn't have supported the original suggestion if I knew it would be taking away certain abilities from system member accounts.

I think with the potential advantage risks, most of those could be solved with IP restrictions where you can't trade or react to posts with users who shares an IP. Or they could still be restricted with linked accounts without needing them to loose the ability to gain bones or points and use them at all. Granted though I don't know what's been going on behind the scenes and if this has been an issue or not, or how exactly Kinmunity is set up with this.

While this may also be different for certain systems, our system at least heavily values credit and general accomplishments being given per system member and at least with the recent example with me making the fictionkin emoji it's vastly preferred and more fair with my system's viewpoints/person codes that I get credited instead of my system as a whole. I wouldn't mind submitting more items to the shop since I've been getting more into making page decorations and could easily transfer that to badge making, but I wouldn't do that for any website if I couldn't be properly credited.

Kinmunity has historically not allowed multiple accounts. This is for security and abuse prevention purposes as we are a high risk community. This was recently modified in order to accomodate members of plural systems on a temporary basis until the sub-accounts system is implemented, but, as you may have expected, we're already seeing abuse. Additionally, creating multiple accounts currently requires the manual intervention of a staff member - it is not automatically approved, this is what the sub-accounts system aims to fix. The concerns with multiple accounts are numerous, but here's a few of our primary concerns with allowing multiple accounts:

• Circumventing account bans and restrictions, which are applied against a 'legal' entity/body.
  • Ultimately, we have decided that system members should not have their own 'vote' when it comes to polls and reactions; this is primarily to prevent abuse of the feature by non-systems who simply wish to cheat.
  • Circumventing ignores, blocks, and other functionality intended to keep the peace between users.
  • Sock-puppeting to support a viewpoint or opinion artificially.
  • ... and many more

Ultimately, the sub-accounts system is a compromise to these problems that takes both viewpoints into account.

most of those could be solved with IP restrictions where you can't trade or react to posts with users who shares an IP

This makes the assumption that an IP address identifies a unique user, and it certainly does not. It also makes the assumption that people won't use multiple accounts to benefit their friends artificially. I've been administering communities since I was literally under the age of thirteen; if there is a way around a rule, people find it. We *DO* have a system that detects and identifies multiple accounts using a combination of techniques (not simply IP address alone) and even with this, it raises a flag and the ultimate determination must be made by a human staff member -- it is not suitable for automatically applying the restrictions you're mentioning unfortunately. There is no way around this.

I wouldn't mind submitting more items to the shop since I've been getting more into making page decorations and could easily transfer that to badge making, but I wouldn't do that for any website if I couldn't be properly credited.

As far as credit for created item goes, public credit can be given to any account (including sub accounts) but the bones to spend and the actual 'reward' can only be given to a main account. It is 100% possible for you to receive bones on a main account, and buy items to gift to your sub-account, and the public credit for the item being given to whichever sub-account created it.

I wouldn't have supported the original suggestion if I knew it would be taking away certain abilities from system member accounts.

We are not "taking away" anything. We are facilitating a process that normally wouldn't be allowed at all, and hasn't been allowed for the history of Kinmunity, even back when it was Wulf Howl in 2011. You can please some of the people, some of the time... you can't please all of the people, any of the time.

• Like 1

Essentially, we’re doing as much as we can to enable system members to have accounts and be participating users, without sacrificing site security or stability. We can’t worsen other parts of the site in the name of giving system members full-fledged accounts, but considering almost all other sites (within the kin community at least) do not and cannot do what we’re trying to do here, I think what system members get is pretty good, all things considered.

Of course we appreciate feedback on site features, but consider that if there is a security/stability reason blocking us from being able to do something, as much as we want to be able to accommodate and do more, there are simply limits to what we can actually do.

- panthera onca -

I understand, so I'm trying to figure out what might work and we can't figure out a way to get bones to work, though we never used bones much on our old account since there wasn't a reason, so I might not be entirely clear on how bones work. I looked around for a bit and couldn't find anything, so is there like a log we can access so we can easily figure out who earned what?

Edit: I got a question from the other guy who uses Kinmunity but doesn't want to say they're in a system, will the sub-accounts feature force headmates to show that they're in a system to non-mod users?

will the sub-accounts feature force headmates to show that they're in a system to non-mod users?

Sub-Accounts will be clearly marked as sub accounts, but only staff will be able to see which accounts are associated with each other.