Therian/Otherkin Stories

So I have two questions. Firstly: Does anyone have any short stories about Therian/Otherkin characters that you can recommend? Secondly: I'm an aspiring author myself, and as such I've had a few story ideas, but I wanted to get a feel for what people would appreciate or not. So my question is, what would you think of a fantasy story where Therians (using this term because it sounds better in this context) were a race of people who had special magical abilities related to their kintype? I don't want to offend anyone, so I wanted to ask the community before putting the effort into a story that might not be well received. Love to hear back from you all! 🐾
  • Like 1

So I have two questions. Firstly: Does anyone have any short stories about Therian/Otherkin characters that you can recommend? Secondly: I'm an aspiring author myself, and as such I've had a few story ideas, but I wanted to get a feel for what people would appreciate or not. So my question is, what would you think of a fantasy story where Therians (using this term because it sounds better in this context) were a race of people who had special magical abilities related to their kintype? I don't want to offend anyone, so I wanted to ask the community before putting the effort into a story that might not be well received. Love to hear back from you all! 🐾

I dont know any myself, however that would be such a cool story. I would love to read!

Median/Dreamway system

Donnie&Leo (Fictive) Kirby (faekin//polymorph//clown) Dib (fictive) Raemus (werewolf) Gabriel (angel)

Polyamorous // Aro Ace // System // Immersive Daydreamer // Roleplayer // Dm's open

I mean... I've written a fanfiction with a few people who could be considered Otherkin in it, but I wouldn't classify it as short. And it's mainly about physical shifting. But it does deal a lot with coping with the instincts, urges, etc that come after that transformation as well as the desire to physically become your kintype.

I'll give a sample of one of the otherkin-esque parts:

-for context, Adwin would be considered psychological fictionkin. He turns into one of my c'links and was given a serum during his transformation that makes him see himself as Pale. I vent a lot of my otherkin frustration through him.-

“Alright,” I breathed. “But we make it a stealth mission, and we come armed. But first, we need to turn you back.”

“Under one condition,” he said. “You give me a necklace that turns me into Pale when I put it on.”

“Absolutely not,” I snapped. “You know as well as I do that your desire to be him isn’t real. It’s the result of that damned serum, and as soon as we figure out a way to counteract it, you will be kicking yourself for ever thinking like that.”

“But I need it…”

His voice was barely a whisper, broken by months of damage that I wasn’t sure could be repaired. My heart ached for him. I knew what it was like to want something so taboo, the thought of being someone else invading your brain until it was all you could think about. And for him, it had to be worse. That same form he wanted had taken him over, and he’d killed to fulfill desires that weren’t even his.

Adwin wrapped his wings around himself, tears slipping rapidly down his cheeks. “I can’t go on,” he croaked, the sound of Parable’s voice coming from his mouth unnerving me. “I can’t live like this! I need relief, Jade. I know, deep down, that I don’t want this, but it’s like an itch I can’t scratch! I want to be Pale. I need to be Pale. I came so close, and… and… it’s infuriating!”

• Like 1

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

I think there was a list of alterhuman characters floating around but I can't find it anymore. I can't think of many which are explicitly otherkin or therian, but iirc Coryn from Guardians of Ga'hoole could be read as wolf-hearted? N from Pokemon is also usually interpreted as being otherkin or the in-unvierse version of a therian, and there's a couple background characters who identify as Pokemon in the games.

There's also a few people in my system who've written fanfiction or other works with alterhuman characters but I can't remember if they've posted them or not, and the closest I've written myself is a comic script with alterhuman themes that I did with another headmate.

Rolling around an empty town

No man alive in the zombie crowd

@Mystie, the idea of a select, unique, rare lineage of people with special talents related to animal abilities or even tied into their very being is actually a popular genre in itself - popular so far as I can think of analogs I have seen just in passing, as I scarcely read fiction and not of this kind at all - and that inclines me to believe this is a good idea since it resonates so well. That it has meaning to others and perhaps the closest and likely most well known parallel that fuels a great number of peoples' nostalgia is Animorphs. Granted I have never so much as read one, I have heard people who are fanatical in their enjoyment of it cover it before, it has a number of deep "therian" undertones. Another one, albeit much more graphic and games, albeit story based, are much of White Wolf Publishing and Onyx Path Publishing's material but those are considered by some in the community to be controversial. Regardless, they serve as good material to draw some inspiration from of what was popular and well-received, as well as to help settle in on a narrative and tone that might be more appropriate to an "otherkin" and "therian" specific context. As an aside the "shifter" genre of fiction is, contrarily, often very adult or mature at the least and often not all that well written despite drawing on similar, if not explicitly identical ideas and themes as one is proposing, downright to what amounts to magical manifestations of therianthropy or zoanthropy.

I will add as an aside, it is probably for the best one avoids using terminology from the community abroad because it tends to have a bad habit of creating particular perceptions of those involved, for better and worse. One of the words I have advocated in the past, while by no means a real word itself but slots nicely into the realm of fantasy, is that of "thera". It has an obvious root word in common and still conveys it well, all while being readily appreciable by a reader as to what it means or relates to. It also creates some distance between the two, separating the real from the unreal. As much as we might enjoy fiction that appeals to us and fills us with a sense of familiarity, at the end of the day we are all seeking the truth or at least should be, and we should inspire others to have that same inner journey be them mundane or "other", and so encouraging it by word choice alone to engage in being mislead is probably less than ideal.

Smilodon Populator

@Mystie, the idea of a select, unique, rare lineage of people with special talents related to animal abilities or even tied into their very being is actually a popular genre in itself - popular so far as I can think of analogs I have seen just in passing, as I scarcely read fiction and not of this kind at all - and that inclines me to believe this is a good idea since it resonates so well. That it has meaning to others and perhaps the closest and likely most well known parallel that fuels a great number of peoples' nostalgia is Animorphs. Granted I have never so much as read one, I have heard people who are fanatical in their enjoyment of it cover it before, it has a number of deep "therian" undertones. Another one, albeit much more graphic and games, albeit story based, are much of White Wolf Publishing and Onyx Path Publishing's material but those are considered by some in the community to be controversial. Regardless, they serve as good material to draw some inspiration from of what was popular and well-received, as well as to help settle in on a narrative and tone that might be more appropriate to an "otherkin" and "therian" specific context. As an aside the "shifter" genre of fiction is, contrarily, often very adult or mature at the least and often not all that well written despite drawing on similar, if not explicitly identical ideas and themes as one is proposing, downright to what amounts to magical manifestations of therianthropy or zoanthropy.

I will add as an aside, it is probably for the best one avoids using terminology from the community abroad because it tends to have a bad habit of creating particular perceptions of those involved, for better and worse. One of the words I have advocated in the past, while by no means a real word itself but slots nicely into the realm of fantasy, is that of "thera". It has an obvious root word in common and still conveys it well, all while being readily appreciable by a reader as to what it means or relates to. It also creates some distance between the two, separating the real from the unreal. As much as we might enjoy fiction that appeals to us and fills us with a sense of familiarity, at the end of the day we are all seeking the truth or at least should be, and we should inspire others to have that same inner journey be them mundane or "other", and so encouraging it by word choice alone to engage in being mislead is probably less than ideal.

Thanks for the feedback! It's very helpful to hear a well thought-out opinion, so thank you for your reply.

• Like 1

Not short stories, but a full book series, I enjoyed reading the Cheysuli Chronicles by Jennifer Roberson when growing up. A race of people bond to an animal who becomes their friend/family member and they can shapeshift into that animal.

Red Tailed Hawk Therian / Polymorph / Spirit Being / Anthro Hawk / Deitykin

Shard of Heru AKA Horus