Pronouns, gender identity, and sexuality (oh my!)

As previously discussed in this preview thread, Kinmunity has made some changes to some profile fields on the site. These changes apply to the pronouns, gender identity, and sexuality fields on the site. We've made these changes in response to various feedback posted in our suggestion box. Hopefully, the changes will be well received. Without further delay, the following changes have been made.

• Separation of transgender status from gender identity.

An individual who is MTF transgender identifies as female, an individual who is FTM transgender identifies as male. Use of the language "MTF" and "FTM" in the gender identity field references assigned-sex-at-birth where it isn't needed. The obvious solution would just be to select "male" or "female" if you identify as binary/transgender, but this would result in the system not granting you access to the LGBTQ+ zones. Starting today, there are no MTF or FTM options in the gender identity field. Instead, users can optionally tell the site if they identify as transgender via a checkbox.

Note: Users who previously had MTF or FTM selected must change their gender identity in their profiles now.

[ATTACH alt=transgender-status.png]7088[/ATTACH]

• Introduction of custom pronouns & gender identities.

Sometimes, the options available in our drop-down menu aren't enough to accurately describe how an individual identifies. We have recognized this inherent weakness for some time and, as a compromise, provided an "other" option. In the past, users were asked to specify their exact pronouns and gender identity in their bio. Starting today, if you select the "Other" option for either field, you will be presented with another profile option to elaborate. We also support displaying custom-pronouns in the postbit now - yay!

[ATTACH alt=pronouns-and-gender.png]7090[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH alt=custom-example.png]7089[/ATTACH]

• Introduction of custom sexualities.

This works just like the custom gender identity field.

[ATTACH alt=sexuality.png]7091[/ATTACH]

• Like 3

Naia Ōkami [ID] [KB] [KO]

Site Administrator & Founder

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its

staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

A quick update

On mobile devices, to accommodate the smaller screen size, less profile information is shown on posts. Starting today, pronouns will be visible on posts when viewing the website on a mobile device. Additionally, as mobile devices don’t support hover-over actions, tapping on the “custom pronouns” label will display the custom pronouns of a user on mobile devices, just as it would when you put your mouse over it on a desktop device. Hopefully, this ensures everybody is addressed in the way that is most comfortable to them. Thank you for your patience and we hope you like the updates.

Here’s an example:

[ATTACH type=full]7092[/ATTACH]

staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

[information]Heads up to anyone using the custom pronoun field!![/information]

When viewed on mobile, the custom pronoun pop up (when viewing on posts) will cut off after around 20 or so characters! This is NOT something we can fix!!

As such, we recommend keeping your custom pronoun field as short as possible, or to list your more preferred pronouns first. If you don’t mind that mobile users may not be able to see all of your pronouns, then you don’t need to do anything, but if this bothers you, I recommend making adjustments.

Thank you!

- panthera onca -

I will note with this update it appears to have broken some pronoun and gender displays. For example, "He/Him" no longer appears under the avatar and basic information for those who elect that option for their posts, even when it is chosen to be presented with them. This seems to be the only instance I am aware of where this occurs, @Naia, @Jethero. There might be others but I have been unable to find any.

Smilodon Populator

Posted (edited)

I will note with this update it appears to have broken some pronoun and gender displays. For example, "He/Him" no longer appears under the avatar and basic information for those who elect that option for their posts, even when it is chosen to be presented with them. This seems to be the only instance I am aware of where this occurs, @Naia, @Jethero. There might be others but I have been unable to find any.

Caught a very pesky bug; thanks for that!

I'll explain because the explanation for this is somewhat interesting and I think some people will appreciate it, though I may just bore you to death. Your response to the pronoun drop-down box previously was stored as a number between 0 and 7, with the exception of the any and other choices, which were stored as the string "any" and "other" respectively. In order to avoid errors in the cases where a you're viewing a post of a user who does not have their pronouns set, the display logic ensures that the field is not empty before executing. Unfortunately, as you helped me realize just now, Xenforo treats "0" as "empty" and therefore people who had he/him selected as their pronouns did not have their pronouns displayed appropriately. This has been fixed.

IF YOU USE HE/HIM PRONOUNS, YOU WILL NEED TO SET YOUR PRONOUNS AGAIN.

I sent out an announcement via the alerts system to all who need to set their pronouns.

Edited by Naia