Is it still exotrauma if it's psychological?

Question

I know that exotrauma is trauma that comes from a past life, but I still get those classic trauma flashback symptoms when it comes to things from my source, even when I'm not in a Sunny shift. For example, I don't use garden shears because every time I see them I remember Basil [spoiler=injury]stabbing my eye out

. And, of course, that kintype is psychological and I didn't have a past life. I feel lost without having a term to use to refer to these sorts of things, and I don't know if the term "exotrauma" is usable in this scenario. Is there another term I should know about?

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

4 answers to this question

If we are speaking in a technical sense, no, as it is not recognized as a legitimate phenomena by the traditional discipline of psychology as the term and concept are artificially synthesized and herald from outside the scientific application and or study of the psyche; seemingly entirely from the community of "other" concerned with "plurality". Contrarily, I should point out, this does not invalidate it on this basis alone as it is understood, because these types of avoidance behavior if taken seriously are very real, only that there is no specific, accurate, accepted most of all, term for these things or a basis reflected in the literature and practice.

While I cannot recall any even remotely related term in the everything I have read, I can suggest that it is probably related to the fact that people can generate scenarios that are mentally harmful, highly detrimental fantasies, and that they likely fall into the category of abnormal psychology, but seeing as I am not a practicing clinician and it is taboo to say the least to make these sorts of posits outside of in-person, I would recommend speaking to a mental health counselor and or a psychologist or psychiatrist. My advice is to worry less about a specific term for the issue and to describe the experiences, sensations, and worries one has with them and present them to someone who can address them. I do not say this lightly either.

Smilodon Populator

While I cannot recall any even remotely related term in the everything I have read, I can suggest that it is probably related to the fact that people can generate scenarios that are mentally harmful, highly detrimental fantasies, and that they likely fall into the category of abnormal psychology, but seeing as I am not a practicing clinician and it is taboo to say the least to make these sorts of posits outside of in-person, I would recommend speaking to a mental health counselor and or a psychologist or psychiatrist. My advice is to worry less about a specific term for the issue and to describe the experiences, sensations, and worries one has with them and present them to someone who can address them. I do not say this lightly either.

I have actually brought this up to my therapist on several occasions. I don't think she quite understands most of it (but to be fair, neither do I) but assuming there is no pressing issue next week I'll disclose the whole story. We haven't dedicated a session entirely to my phantom memories as there always seems to be some bigger issue, but now that the family drama seems to be settling down hopefully I can talk about it. In fact, I should keep a log of my experiences.

Within isolation comes self-discovery.

~Caracal therian (C. caracal caracal) | Sunny fictionkin (Omori) | Razorwhip fictherian (Dragons: Race To The Edge)~

It is likely best, so far as can be said, to disclose as much as one can entrust a professional with in this regard - as with any other disturbance, imagined or real - as the consequences as I noted and are well within reason to be obvious themselves. They probably do not adequately understand them, I suppose, because the concept is not entirely widespread and is a relatively entirely "new" idea the way it is presented. It is probably best to use more classical, traditional language for this and provide them examples, that way they are more prone to catch on to the substance of meaning at hand. Attempting to explain a trauma which is purely psychological and part of a highly intricate "imagined" system of events that may or may not be occurring at all is bound to baffle people not immediately acquainted to it, even if their set of talents and skills are both very broad and very deep. So do afford them and oneself the time to cover it all at length, in the best articulation one can, @Hikiko.

Smilodon Populator

I'm not a professional and can only answer as far as the term goes. I was in the system community when this was coined and knew the coiner, and the term exotrauma is meant for any trauma that affects you that did not occur to the body and that includes psychologically-generated memories. The term was intended to replace "pseudomemory" in a way. I can also occur with trauma relating to maladaptive daydreaming disorder, intrusive thoughts, etc.
  • Like 2

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png