When do you start decorating for the Halloween season, and how much do you decorate?

When do you start decorating for the Halloween season?

And how much decorating do you normally do?

(If you do at all.)

I normally decorate our whole apartment, which is pretty small anyway, so it's not hard to get it decorated all over, lol.

Over the last few years I started doing it earlier and earlier.

And now normally have all decorations set up by the middle of September... :>

This year is no different, and I got our Halloween decorations out already.

A lot of sorting and regifting will have to be done this year before setting them up tho...

There were a lot of sales on neat and really cheap (sometimes thrown out for literal pocket change) decorations I had found over the last few years, and it shows... 9_9

The storage we have in our tiny place is very limited and while it's still all fitting into half of our big dresser, where it can be tucked away and out of the way for the rest of the year, there is NO more

space to add anything new right now. (Naki even came up with a folding system for all my ghosts and skellies, so they would all exactly and barely fit into their drawers, lol.)

I already sorted out and gave a bunch of stuff away last year. This year I will have to get serious tho. °^°

But I want to keep my ghost and skeleton collection (I already gave a bunch of doubles away last year) and most of the bigger, easier to store and set up, pieces...

There is a LOT of small spooky clutter and random Halloween stuff for which we just don't have the space or surfaces to set up. :c

Luckily we know several people who are always happy to get free decorations. :>

I enjoy autumn and the spooky season so much... and celebrating it by transforming our living space takes a bit of the edge off life( which is very much needed this year).

Makes everything feel just a little different and special... changing how our space looks for holidays almost feels like a little vacation... :>

(I am similar enthusiastic about the xmas holiday season, but we have waaay less decorations up then... I just love the cozy atmosphere. <3 )

• Like 1

We are the Duumy System | she/her pronouns work for all of us

System Mates Text Color Key:

Spuukiy (Ghost)*Formerly default text color* | Naki (Reptilian) | Aija (Moonelf)

I don't decorate for any holiday. I really dislike the cheap plastic decor that floods the stores every year because I know that the craftsmanship of it all sucks, so people are buying it and throwing it away as soon as the flaking paint chips off enough or the little lights with bulbs impossible to replace stop working or a kid drops it on the floor once and the thin plastic casing cracks apart. Growing up, I had a family member who would spend hundreds in the months preceding every holiday, buying fresh decor for her home and then chucking all but the best quality items into a dumpster the day after the festivities ended. It's just so much waste. It would be nice if everyone selected quality items that they can store and reuse for years to come, but that just isn't the reality.
  • Like 1

"Wholly wounded, I imitate, I take shape."

polymorphic

Growing up, I had a family member who would spend hundreds in the months preceding every holiday, buying fresh decor for her home and then chucking all but the best quality items into a dumpster the day after the festivities ended. It's just so much waste.

That is horribly upsetting, geez...

I am happy when we can afford to spend maybe 10-20 bucks on new decorations each year. Usually less, as we live right at the poverty limit...

It took a bit over 10 years to get to the point of our Halloween deco collection we are at now...

I love every piece I am able to acquire... especially when it's decorations from sales and flea markets and such which already, visibly, have a bit of history...

I find that little cracks and wear and tear give objects character... and most things can be repaired so easily.

Many years ago we sadly got to know a person with a similar wasteful attitude to your family member. They mainly did it with food tho...

Overbuying crazy amounts of food and then straight up trashing it, instead of giving it to people who need it, when they "didn't feel like eating it anymore"... which to us, who have to budget hard to make it though the month, is just absolute insanity. :c

They even had a malicious streak in their behavior about it, in as they wanted to make sure no one they saw as lesser than them (which was everyone with less money I guess) would be able

to get it...

Naki was in a short, toxic and very emotionally abusive relationship with them, when she was still new to our system and way less experienced...

We luckily don't have anything to do with that person anymore.

(The person was from our local otherkin & starseed scene and sadly very influential... )

There are always ways to hand things down to people who need, or want them... even if it's just the most low effort "Free Stuff" cardboard box at selected community locations.

We always make sure that whatever we might end up having too much of either goes to friends, family, or the community (free stuff store, free book box, etc. )

Enjoying a decorated home for holidays and taking part in the vicious consumer-trash cycle doesn't need to go hand in hand. :>

Only if one wants to decorate at all, of course... I can understand and respect your reasons for not wanting to... :)

Edited by Duumy

Spuukiy (Ghost)*Formerly default text color* | Naki (Reptilian) | Aija (Moonelf)

we don’t celebrate Halloween the way United States of America citizens do. We mainly have some restaurants and shops events in town, pubs and such too. House decorations and candy collecting it’s not a thing here. So I won’t be decorating any. I like Halloween though. I got married that day. 👀
  • Like 1

80's girl so Internet communication nuances is specially lost on me // she / her / they / them // I'm like megumin //

“Explosion!” // passes out

I decorate a week before the holiday; I don't want to have decorations up for a month (or two or three) and be sick of seeing them by the time the holiday itself rolls around. I usually just throw up whatever has survived from the previous years, because I can't afford to buy new decorations every year, and quite honestly, I don't want to buy new stuff either.
  • Like 1

But even the most dreadful night is followed by the dawn

De/It/She/They ---- Alu-Fiend, Marionette, Fox hearted

DM's open

we don’t celebrate Halloween the way United States of America citizens do. We mainly have some restaurants and shops events in town, pubs and such too. House decorations and candy collecting it’s not a thing here. So I won’t be decorating any. I like Halloween though. I got married that day. 👀

That is an awesome date to get married! :D

Halloween has become more of a thing in our country over the last 10 or so years... which I personally am grateful for, lol.

And we had already celebrated with friends for the last 20ish years anyway... :>

That is an awesome date to get married! :D

Halloween has become more of a thing in our country over the last 10 or so years... which I personally am grateful for, lol.

And we had already celebrated with friends for the last 20ish years anyway... :>

Yeah. Family was puzzled by the date. Our venue was cheaper that day. Plus the date and energy if you believe that stuff. PLUS all our relatives were christians and catholics. It was awesome. :D

It sounds like fun to celebrate! Hope you have fun this year. :>

80's girl so Internet communication nuances is specially lost on me // she / her / they / them // I'm like megumin //

Yeah. Family was puzzled by the date. Our venue was cheaper that day. Plus the date and energy if you believe that stuff. PLUS all our relatives were christians and catholics. It was awesome. :D

It sounds like fun to celebrate! Hope you have fun this year. :>

Hehe... that's really neat and funny, especially having religious family attend a celebration at Halloween... x)

The perfect wedding day. :>

I also generally believe in the thinning of the veil around that date, so that's a great bonus... :>

And thank you, well will. :>

Every year I plan a small series of little events leading up to Halloween, like movie nights with our system and at least one with friends, all kinds of classic and cozy autumn activities, nature walks to special places, etc. ...

So there is always something to look forward to until the big night, on which we normally sleep over at a friends' place, cook together, wait for trick-or-treaters, go on a long walk through the neighborhood and look at all the decorations people have set up, and then watch movies all night. <3

Hehe... that's really neat and funny, especially having religious family attend a celebration at Halloween... x)

The perfect wedding day. :>

I also generally believe in the thinning of the veil around that date, so that's a great bonus... :>

And thank you, well will. :>

Every year I plan a small series of little events leading up to Halloween, like movie nights with our system and at least one with friends, all kinds of classic and cozy autumn activities, nature walks to special places, etc. ...

So there is always something to look forward to until the big night, on which we normally sleep over at a friends' place, cook together, wait for trick-or-treaters, go on a long walk through the neighborhood and look at all the decorations people have set up, and then watch movies all night. <3

Wow.it all sounds so fun! 😊

Throughout my childhood, my parents have started decorating around the first week of October, and as far as I remember it, it was like a massive Halloween explosion. My mom had this Frankenstein collection that seeped out to the outside porch, with a few Jack Skellingtons in the mix as well. Trick o treaters always flocked to our place for the wonder if not for some candy. Also, if you'd like to know how to decorate for the holiday with the best décor while on a budget, look up Bogleech. He's got some great advice and reviews on anything and everything Halloween.
  • Like 1

🪄light from Andromeda☀️Bringer of dawn🌠he/him🪐

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

jVNsUVEcNMvusUGvMTtl.png

Also, if you'd like to know how to decorate for the holiday with the best décor while on a budget, look up Bogleech. He's got some great advice and reviews on anything and everything Halloween.

That is true! I remember looking around their website a bunch a few years ago... :>

Throughout my childhood, my parents have started decorating around the first week of October, and as far as I remember it, it was like a massive Halloween explosion. My mom had this Frankenstein collection that seeped out to the outside porch, with a few Jack Skellingtons in the mix as well. Trick o treaters always flocked to our place for the wonder if not for some candy.

That is really cool!

I wish Halloween had been a proper thing in our country already when the body was little. It must have been such a neat experience as a kid... :>