Artist pet peeves and annoyances

What are your biggest pet peeves when it comes to your creative activities? Need to vent? Yeet your feelings into the comments!

I'll start: I'm currently taking a break from working on a very detailed drawing after working on it for about 2 hours straight. It's a very important drawing to me (Expect to see it posted here as soon as it's done!~) and I'm super motivated to work on it. ...But now my hand hurts. I wanna keep working on it so bad but I physically can't. Screw this human body and its limitations. 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* "𝓞𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓼𝓹𝓲𝓻𝓲𝓽, 𝓵𝓸𝓸𝓴 𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓸 𝓶𝔂 𝓮𝔂𝓮𝓼..." *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I was about to ask pet peeves related to self or other?

Hm....honestly, none much- I've reconciled with a lot of my art problems....but I have more of an add/adhd hyper focus issue with art. I often forget to eat and don't want to be torn away if I'm really working on an art. I set myself a timer, it helps.

Timber wolf therian-- Zhuardarian changeling-- horse hearted

~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, losing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

I was about to ask pet peeves related to self or other?

Hm....honestly, none much- I've reconciled with a lot of my art problems....but I have more of an add/adhd hyper focus issue with art. I often forget to eat and don't want to be torn away if I'm really working on an art. I set myself a timer, it helps.

Pro-tip, on those breaks it's a good idea to stretch your hands too! ^-^ 

Guest Deleted member 226

Hmmm, I pay a little to much attention to detail sometimes, and I’m a little slow when it comes to drawing humanoid figures, and really anything else!

Pro-tips, take breaks, stay hydrated, use references if you have to, and have fun with art! You don’t have to draw for anyone but yourself! ^.=.^ 🎨🎨🎨

Guest Deleted member 108

I get really, really tired of having to explain to people that "no clothing =/= nude", that it is the base sketch of the body. It drives me crazy every time someone asks "you're drawing NSFW?" because the body hasn't had clothes sketched out yet. 😞 

Pro-tips, artist gloves or sports compression gloves to help stabilize your wrists will save a lot of pain. Also elevate your tablet, if it's not already.  Do not draw with it flat. That will hurt your arms and wrists.

"no clothing =/= nude"

"you're drawing NSFW?"

Side rage: Nude =/= nsfw! I don't even draw nudity it just makes me salty that people think this tbh XD

It takes me like, half an hour just to draw a head base

SAME and even then it turns out wonky >.< I feel like such a failure of an artist sometimes I cant even draw a non-shaky line :'D 

Guest Deleted member 89

That artist feel when you're good at drawing circles because as a kid you were angry at yourself and went "I'm bad at art I can't even draw a circle" and proceeded to spend an hour just drawing circles to overcome that or whatever and now you're good at it thanks middle school old me why did you do this 

When the sketching phase just won't stop. Discovering what brushes to use for painting is both a blessing and a curse. It's a very intuitive and a very fun way for me to "sculpt out" details and correct things on the fly. On the other hand, it made drawing so tedious in comparison. 

• 1 year later...

I can never draw any of my characters eyes closed for it looks like a misshapen bookmark and it’s very annoying, and drawing hands are way worse for me because it ends up looking pretty bad too

I find it hard to get eyes to be on the same level of the face and in the same shape as each other. Sometimes, my drawings end up looking like one eye is higher than the other or one eye is bigger than the other. It could just be my depth perception issues (born crossed eyed, it's a lovely affliction), or I am just not as good as art as I think lol. I also find it hard to make eyes look lively enough without being bugged out of someone's head (I draw in a personalized anime-ish way)

When walking in a forest, do we tell the trees they are abnormal? So why do we treat one another that way? - Tao Te Ching

• 1 month later...
When I was 11 years old, an art teacher wrote an email to my dad, in which he complained that I draw like a kindergardener. I was bad at doing water paintings because due to my Asperger's, my fine motor skills are bad. I also suspect that my depth perception is a bit altered. When drawing, I can't get proportions and 3D depth right, and I am the worst when it comes to light / shadow stuff. That's why my drawings often look like what my sister calls the "comic style". She likes it though, and I had to learn to accept my drawings. They don't have to be perfect or even look professional. They are ok as they are. Edited by Lighter
  • Like 1

Friends with Lucifer / Satan 💕 💞

"I want you to say what you think and become confident and authentic" - Satan.

So usually when I paint things I'll paint a bit one day, and then when I feel like it I'll paint a little more a few days later. If I have to mix colours together to get a specific colour or shade it's so annoying trying to get the colour right when I work on the painting again.

Also, accidentally crumpling or folding the paper when you're erasing something. That sucks.

• Like 1

Tracing in pen after sketching in pencil. I do short feathery lines and then it makes my lines look fuzzy and when I erase the pencil marks it leaves streaks and stuff because my erasers like to pick up ink too.

Also eyes. I only just figured out how to do a decent looking eye

• Like 1

“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Demonkin, Wolfkin, and Sirenkin, plural system with many headmates, all open for contact

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more I can think of:

• Your characters have to be relatable and complex.
  • Your story has to contain some social or political message. No thanks. One reason why I love the Paranormal Activity series is that it's completely apolitical.
  • Critics give horror movies a bad rating because "it's nothing new". Yet Marvel movies get very good ratings by critics, despite being nothing new.
  • When it comes to horror movies, critics don't care about the story, aesthetics, connections to spiritual beliefs / real-life paranormal stories, quality of acting and the likes. All they care about is "Was I scared?" and "Is there a social or political message in it?". See The Lodge, one of the few movies I hate, partly because its plot makes no sense. Critics say you shouldn't question the plot. It's scary and tells the audience that religion is bad, so it's good, right?
  • If a movie contains a social or political message that critics approve of, they'll give that movie extremely good ratings, no matter how high or low the quality is.
  • Fans telling artists what to do and how to do it. I'm a writer, not a waitress. This doesn't mean one can't request something or criticize me, but if someone wants to dictate the plot, characters or anything else, they've crossed the line. Why not write your own story then?

Edited by Lighter

Friends with Lucifer / Satan 💕 💞

"I want you to say what you think and become confident and authentic" - Satan.

• 4 weeks later...

when I erase the pencil marks it leaves streaks and stuff because my erasers like to pick up ink too

Let the pen dry for a bit. Some pens dry faster than others, so it may take some experimentation to figure out how long to wait.

[automerge]1619232929[/automerge]

Not ever knowing what to draw. I used to always seem to have ideas, but due to life circumstances I stopped drawing for the most part. It's been three years since I had almost constant inspiration, and I don't know how to get it back.

• Like 1

Stuart (2D) and Murdoc

We're plural and fictionkind.

he/him

Guest Deleted member 57289

DRAWING THE SAME SIZED EYESSSSSSSSSSS

I HATE IT WHEN ONE EYE IS A OVAL AND THE OTHER IS A RAN OVER LEMONNNNNNNN